What's new

sanitizing?

i just finished my buddys razor honing and have shave tested it. how do i sanitize my straight razor before sending it to him. i dont have a steam machine or anything so what would you suggest. i believe its carbon steel as it gets spots quickly

Here's what I do: take a small water bottle. Cut off the top part, right below where it starts to narrow toward the opening. Pour in isopropyl alcohol (or Everclear), open the razor and immerse the blade. Wait 10 minutes, remove. You can reuse the iropropyl.

Legion

Staff member
does it matter what kind of steel it is?
Not really. Isopropyl is only about 70% alcohol, so carbon might stain if you soak it, but should be safe for a few minutes.

I just put the alcohol on a cloth and gently wipe the blade, being careful of the edge. You can soak the blade for a little while if you want (not the scales), but an alcohol wipe will remove most all cooties.

Last edited:
THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE.

This topic comes up with people buying and selling used DEs. This is worth reading:

If it were me, I would wipe the edge of the blade with isopropyl alcohol using a cotton ball, and then if you still can't sleep, use a disinfecting cleaner like one of these:
I realize that steel is not skin, but section 2.1.4 of Best practices for injection - WHO Best Practices for Injections and Related Procedures Toolkit - NCBI Bookshelf - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK138495/ helps ease my mind about the use of isopropyl alcohol:

1641652114584.png

For hard surfaces “sanitize” and “disinfect” are legally defined terms and products for those purposes have to be registered with the EPA. There’s a convoluted process for identifying suspected pathogens, pre-cleaning, product application and dwell time, and post-cleaning. Sanitizing and disinfecting products are largely a feel good measure to sell chemicals.

The success of sanitizing or disinfecting is 100% dependent on the pre-cleaning process. In the case of the razor if you don’t clean all the skin cells, oil, and soap off the razor, it will just be repopulated with bacteria. If you wash that gunk off you will remove virtually everything else of concern with it.

Dish soap and water would be the best option and all you need. A follow up with some isopropyl alcohol to hasten drying would be a good idea.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
does it matter what kind of steel it is?
I believe bacteria can’t survive well on stainless steel. I would sanitize any recently used by another person though. I just rinse my own razors with water. I’m not particularly afraid of catching something from myself.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just send all your nice, sharp, dirty blades to me. My skin is impervious to cooties.

When a bug bites me the bug dies. I always get a kick out of these threads.

Soap and water is enough. When did we become such scaredy Kats? Adam was made outta dirt folks!

Hello,

I am newbie on forum, but already some time with Wet Shaving. So I ordered some used straight razors and when they came there was a huuuge family conflict, my wife made a big affair, how stupid I am, how irresponsible... So, I did some development, and based on some academic literature on HCV (main concern), and basically, this picture:
zam9991160480004.jpg

Got the idea of following routine (comment: Barbicide is not available where I am... sorry)
1. Prep: some basing dirty stroping and stoning (on rarely used strop...)
2. Straight Razor get some hot oil pouring (170C/338F)
3. Fairy/other type of washing...
4. 70% isopropyl alcohol rubbing
5. 5 minutes immersion on available for me Mistral disinfection, pH around 10, (main active component: TRIAMEEN Y12D )
6. Final step: rubbing 6% hydrogen peroxide

Now.... What is opinion of community on my humble VooDoo operation?

If you are a real germaphobe visit your local beauty or barber supply, they carry multiple products that are approved and safe for sterilizing razors. Spend the extra $10 for the piece of mind.
Looked there. They are mostly using temperature, UV and vacuum based treatment.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The question is "how do i sanitize my straight razor before sending it". My answer is that I would not sanitize it at all and I would inform the recipient of that fact. In my experience, someone who is a germophobe will never be satisfied with any cleaning or sterilization process other than that which they have done themselves. Those individuals will sanitize the razor a second time, then nuke it from space as it's the only way to be sure. Everyone else will either give the razor a quick wipe over, or do no cleaning at all, and shave on regardless.

Hello,

I am newbie on forum, but already some time with Wet Shaving. So I ordered some used straight razors and when they came there was a huuuge family conflict, my wife made a big affair, how stupid I am, how irresponsible... So, I did some development, and based on some academic literature on HCV (main concern), and basically, this picture:
View attachment 1421349
Got the idea of following routine (comment: Barbicide is not available where I am... sorry)
1. Prep: some basing dirty stroping and stoning (on rarely used strop...)
2. Straight Razor get some hot oil pouring (170C/338F)
3. Fairy/other type of washing...
4. 70% isopropyl alcohol rubbing
5. 5 minutes immersion on available for me Mistral disinfection, pH around 10, (main active component: TRIAMEEN Y12D )
6. Final step: rubbing 6% hydrogen peroxide

Now.... What is opinion of community on my humble VooDoo operation?
The very brief google search I did led to a white paper that suggest 80C was sufficient for HCV specifically. From memory, 170C is still below the danger zone for wrecking the temper of the steel but it's a lot closer than I'd want to bother with.

I'd also avoid oxidizers like bleach or hydrogen peroxide.

The very brief google search I did led to a white paper that suggest 80C was sufficient for HCV specifically. From memory, 170C is still below the danger zone for wrecking the temper of the steel but it's a lot closer than I'd want to bother with.

I'd also avoid oxidizers like bleach or hydrogen peroxide.
80 is not enough…

Autoclaves run at 121C. Is that enough?

Qauternary ammonium compounds are pretty good for this kind of thing. For instance, Barbicide. Which is labeled for use against HIV, HBC, and HCV. I'd encourage you not to overthink this, but if you want to mess around with a 170C oil bath, have fun.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Autoclaves run at 121C. Is that enough?

Qauternary ammonium compounds are pretty good for this kind of thing. For instance, Barbicide. Which is labeled for use against HIV, HBC, and HCV. I'd encourage you not to overthink this, but if you want to mess around with a 170C oil bath, have fun.
Do not do this, lol. Unless you dress up like a fireman.

Covid, AIDS/HIV.... all viral stuff besides a bad video experience die when higher than blood temperature hits it. How much higher? Depends on the virus; they are constantly adapting to survive.

Your wife needs to read a Kollege textbook from Biology 101, the section on immune response. We are fearfully and wonderfully made my friend.

Top Bottom