What's new

Sanitizing-disinfecting Use Safety Razor

All you really need to do is wash them with anti-microbial soap (which most dishwashing liquids are today) and scrub them with a soft bristle tooth brush. Give them a shot with scrubbing bubbles, which has germ killing capacity.

If you are the conscientious type, you can dip them in alcohol, and let them air dry, which is deadly to cooties

If you're the nervous type, you can boil some water, then pour the boiled water on the razors to soak a little. (don't boil the razors themselves)

If you're the paranoid type, you can give them a brief soak in diluted barbicide (available at beauty supply stores).

That's really all there is to it.

if you are the obsessive compulsive type you can put them in an autoclave.

...but remember that the plated razor won't probably take the autoclave nicely.

Hmm. I think I'll get a Weber for purely that sake - I could feed my OCD by throwing it in autoclave bi-annually.

If you find out who does the cleaning of your local hospital's instruments, it isn't even expensive. Of course, some hospitals do it in-house. surgeon friends are handy here...

And no, it's not really needed for any razor.

Old razors are great, provided they are thoroughly cleaned first. Wear rubber gloves; if the razor hasn't been used in many years, the noxious critters are probably dead, by why take a chance? Open or take razor apart. Good scrubbing with hot water, disinfecting dish detergent and old tooth brush. Several minutes in a small ultrasonic cleaner (if you have access to one) will restore original appearance and clean out where you can't get into mechanically. A final rinse under hot water and polishing with old terry towel will make it look like new, provided it isn't totally worn out, or all scratched up. Gold plating, particularly on old Schicks, is not real hard, so it pays to carefully examine the condition before buying.

On Schicks again...every 3 - 5 blade changes, partially eject the old blade so you can pull it out with pliers, open the razor and clean the blade channel before installing the new blade. You can push the new blade back into the injector for a good start.

BB

Just got my first vintage Gillette DE razors in the mail today, a 1969 Super Adjustable and 1966 Super Speed-flare tip and would like some help from the experts on getting them ready for action. Looking for safe and effective methods to disinfect and sanitize these old razors for safe-healthy shaving. Both old razors look reasonably clean, shiny, rust and damage free. Thanks for your help.
Major T

Put plumbers tape over your SA numbers and handle if you use any chemicals. I wouldn’t hot water soak the SA either. The black color on the handle is very tough, but remember you have a 50 year old razor. You won’t hurt the Super Speed with anything you do.

If you polish them later, go nice and easy on the Flitz. Brand new, those razors didn’t have mirror finishes on them. Mirror finish on a nickel plated vintage looks great until you have brassing a few months later.

You got some good ones, enjoy!

Put plumbers tape over your SA numbers and handle if you use any chemicals. I wouldn’t hot water soak the SA either. The black color on the handle is very tough, but remember you have a 50 year old razor. You won’t hurt the Super Speed with anything you do.

If you polish them later, go nice and easy on the Flitz. Brand new, those razors didn’t have mirror finishes on them. Mirror finish on a nickel plated vintage looks great until you have brassing a few months later.

You got some good ones, enjoy!

You just quoted a 6 year old post [emoji12]

Zombie post revived!

Im thinking about santizing my safety razor with barbicide.

Hashed to a fare-thee-well re-#5 here - cheap, effective disinfectant. Just be sure to "use as directed" - 10 minutes tops. Safe for plating and plastic as long as you stick to the correct immersion times.

Top Bottom