Just got my New Improved from the 'bay.

Before:
$uploadfromtaptalk1461623305233.jpg

After:
$uploadfromtaptalk1461623353083.jpg

Finished:
$uploadfromtaptalk1461623379650.jpg

Looking forward to using it soon. [emoji1]

but I hesitate to remove the trays unless I am going to reline the Velvet. I have found these trays to be very fragile, and removing them often destroys them.

I have considered relining a couple of the more damaged ones but can't seem to find correct material. One thing about those ABC and Pocket sets is that the edges of the tray that are curled up to make the depressions where the razor sits are not rolled, it is just the bare edge. When the fabric gets brittle it invariably leaves the metal edge exposed. I use a blunt edged (bent into a curve) butter knife to gently get under the lining one side at a time at the 4 sides, then a very gentle rocking motion breaks the glue into powder and the linings pop out whole. Must take your time though. :) I may post the process next time I acquire one that needs work. Of course anytime you do this sort of thing the term "Original" no longer applies and you are into "Restored" territory. Value to the collector can be hammered.

Crap, there is a spec of lint on the lining! I guess I'll have to send it back.
proxy.php

proxy.php

ps. According to Achim, that is a "De Luxe" not a Deluxe. Huuuuge difference. ;)

Last edited:
Flea market finds last week.
$MCDF1073.jpg
J3 Flare Tip
$MCDF1090.jpg
F2 Fat Boy with some plating loss and a stuck adjuster. I'm studying Captain Murphy's videos for a repair.

$MCDF1083.jpg
$MCDF1083-2.jpg
$MCDF1088.jpg
A Tuckaway set which seems to have a mismatched head. No idea what the emblem signifies.

Recently came across a nickel plated Goodwill .It is the first US Goodwill I have seen that has this plating .I know that Argentina and England made silver/nickel coloured Goodwills but not the US .This one has a #175 special milled slot baseplate and a #160 cap .I believe the handle is not the original as it has a smaller diameter than the bottom of the baseplate .The stamping is fairly legible and I was wondering if these were produced in the US or this is a replate . I picked it up knowing that it may not be original as it is in really good shape.

$GW2.jpg $GW4.jpg

$GW3.jpg

Glenn

Hey Mike use photoshop or similar to enhance that medallion and post another pic. I would use the "Find Edges" filter and then contrast it up. I love a mystery. Let's solve it.

Glenn, from what I know about replates you wouldn't be seeing that bleed out corrosion around contact points or the totally corroded threads on a replate. ps. the teeth are really shiny though so I could be wrong.

Last edited:
You have a frankenrazor there, Glenn.
Plus I think it is a replate too.
But who cares? - it is your new razor!
Happy shaving! :)

I'm not sure if I posted this already but here goes. A British Goodwill Set. (I think it is anyway.. I always hesitate to make definite conclusions since the history of Gillette is so convoluted.)
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
One from the eBay? Just curious. I've seen one there, from Britain, but price was... out of this world [emoji1]

Відправлено з мого Meizu M2 через Tapatalk

Crap, there is a spec of lint on the lining! I guess I'll have to send it back.
proxy.php

proxy.php

ps. According to Achim, that is a "De Luxe" not a Deluxe. Huuuuge difference. ;)

Yeah, it's awful. But don't send it back to seller, just send it to me and I'll deal with him. I'll pay for shipping. You're welcome.

:laugh::thumbup:

Top Bottom