What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I was visiting a friend in Tennessee last week and had a chance to check out some local antique stores. In addition to a couple of vintage shaving brushes for restoration, I picked up these two razors at a very good price.

razors.jpg

The first is a Gillette Slim Adjustable, Date Code I1 (First Qtr 1963) and the other is a Gillette Super Speed, Blue Handle, Date Code C1 (First Qtr 1957). The Slim cleaned up nicely and is in great shape. The Blue Handle is missing the end caps, the blue paint is worn, and the aluminum has light corrosion, but it's my first Blue Handle found in the wild so I'll hang onto it for now.

It was THE day for finding lesser seen wild DE razors at bargain prices.

Canadian Gillette Bulldog, far left.
Then a lot of 5, L to R:
Gillette Sheraton (in an anomalous red&black Gillette case)
Barbasol (non-floating head, no branding, loose)
Stahly (it winds up and vibrates OK) with a Tech franken-head (loose)
Mergress (nice Merkur Progress case that won't close on a Mergress)
New Zealand Goodfella (loose)
IMG_6230.jpeg

Before today, I have never seen any of these models, other than Stahly, running wild in a vintage store. Bulldogs and Sheratons are relatively rare. Functioning Stahly handles are few and far between. A Mergress and an NZ-made Old Type knockoff? Lightning bolts out of a clear, blue sky.

If anyone is desperate for more detailed photos, just tell me what you would like to see.

IMG_6231.jpeg
And add to all that a fantastic find that, sadly, did not include a razor. (But I do own a gold New Improved Tuckaway.)

>Shipper

>White cloth bag to protect the gold plated, greek key motif case

>Absolutely pristine case, not even a fingerprint

>Pristine blade case

>9 of the 10 Gillette three hole blades, coded 2448 and 2449, meaning the razor was a 1928 New Improved.

So the original owner put one blade in the razor, carefully put everything back in the shipper and....

Mystery ??????????????????

"VALET" Auto Strop Pigskin Travelling Set #8

• Something different just because it looked nice 😅
  • Any "VALET" Auto Strop collectors out there?
  • I have had a hard time finding the exact set, but I think the attached ad shows a model very similar which seems to have been the top model at the time 🤔
  • I didn't buy the suitcase, but it seems the razor set was part of some exclusive personal items.
  • What are my options with regard to blades?

IMG_4397.jpg
IMG_4392.jpg
IMG_4396.JPG
IMG_4393.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg
il_fullxfull.4846346826_t0o7.jpeg
s-l1600.png

1000000029.jpg

A nice Gillette slim adjustable and a scratch n dent REX konsul xl arrived here today.

The slim gives me a nice shave and this one is cleaner than the ones I already have. I have been cutting off parts of my face with a Rex Sentry lately, so I figured I would give it a big brother. They are lovely looking things. Hopefully I can figure out how to get a decent shave with one eventually. The gold plate on this Rex looks amazing but the camera on my tablet sucks at showing its lovely color.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_1717.jpeg
IMG_1718.jpeg
IMG_1720.jpeg
IMG_1723.jpeg

Mail Call Number 1.
A P4 Gillette Black Handle Superspeed. I should not look at eBay but something I just cannot help myself. The price was right for me and these razors normally shave well for me. It looks to be okay and everything appears to work as it should.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_1733.jpeg
IMG_1735.jpeg
IMG_1736.jpeg
IMG_1738.jpeg
IMG_1741.jpeg
IMG_1742.jpeg
IMG_1745.jpeg

Mail Call Number 3.
A new near Parker 66R safety razor. It has had very little use if any. It still has the plastic wrapper that the razor came with in the box. I bought a Parker razor a little while ago and I have not even used it yet. I shouldn’t look at eBay as often as I do.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_1746.jpeg
IMG_1748.jpeg
IMG_1750.jpeg
IMG_1753.jpeg
IMG_1755.jpeg

Mail Call Number 4.
A cased Gillette English Junior Aristocrat. It still has a Wilkinson Sword stainless blade in it. Both the case and the razor need a good clean. I normally get great shaves from these razors so I hope that this one is no different. All appears to work as it should.

Top Bottom