What's new

Sad day in the Pelikan Werkstatt

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
This is why I don't work on other people's delicate pens anymore.

1932-1937 Pelikan celluloid is often crystallized and just crumbles if you look at it funny. In order to refresh the cork seal it has to come apart (one way or another!) and this one would not cooperate, I knew it wasn't.

proxy.php

EDIT: OK, time for a beer!

Last edited:
Doug, that had to hurt a little! My pens are all fairly modern, so that is one thing I won't need to worry about for a while.

Not all old pens are so delicate. This one may have been stored for some time in a place that wasn't great for it. It make have been damaged years and years ago by somebody else who pulled it apart for some reason. You never know.

Seeing this is like seeing a car wreak !!!! So grizzly you turn away.....but keep looking back..... My deepest sympathies

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thanks for the sentiments guys, it's OK!

That particular era had bad celluloid, it's a known problem and one of the reasons they changed the material. It just gets that way and it did spend WWII in Germany, so who knows what it was exposed to -- heat, cold, sunlight, bombs, whatever. At least it doesn't spontaneously combust like old celluloid film! I've been coaxing it along for over two years now, soaked for three weeks at least, gentle warming . . . impatience is a pen killer and I had none of it. But it just wasn't meant to be. :sad:

I could probably sell the pieces on eBay for $75 or so. When I started working on it there weren't replacement barrels available. Only recently David Nishimura at Vintage Pens had some made, they aren't very handsome though! I'm thinking the red one? $50 each

proxy.php

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I know this feeling....when I do a brush restoration, you are always have the risk that some damage may occur. Sometimes the unspeakable happens.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I know this feeling....when I do a brush restoration, you are always have the risk that some damage may occur. Sometimes the unspeakable happens.

Oh, I was speaking! Not anything I would repeat here though.

Maybe the replacement part looks better in real life or something can be done to bring out a nicer finish.
Sorry about the broken part. :sad:

I agree that is why I also hate to work on other peoples stuff!!! One little problem and I feel horrible forever.

Tom

Last edited:
Top Bottom