What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

Time to document my shaving process. I will break this down into three phases: preshave, shave and postshave. Why you might ask? Good question. I just had some time on my hands and I thought the world needed to know how I shave! Simple. I begin with the all important preshave process. Get this process wrong and you might as well go back to bed and start the day all over again.
I shower first. While I shower I soak my brush in a mug of warm water. Then I look at myself in the mirror and wonder where all the years have gone. I wink at myself and know exactly where the years have gone. No regrets. I splash on some warm water and if I am using Proraso then I work in an almond sized glob of their miraculous preshave cream into my whiskers and savour the scent...and get transported to a villa in Italy. After I snap out of my delusional state I continue on my journey. If I am using Truefitt and Hill (my new love) then I just splash on some water. If I am using any other soap or cream I use glycerin soap as a preshave. Sometimes I will take a hot facecloth and hold it over my whiskers barbershop style to soften things up. I will then remove my brush from the mug and work up my lather. This concludes my preshave process. As I write this I realize just how simple it is...but make no mistake it is based on hard science and years of study and trial and error...and it is effective! Stay tuned for the actual shave process! I can feel the suspense building!

On my quest for a minimal shaving den I have recently made the decision to reduce my mustache waxes from five to one. Lucky Tiger is my one wax. I use it almost exclusively....and by almost I mean if I don't use Lucky Tiger I don't use anything. I just let 'er blow in the wind.

Wondered onto your journal. Congrats on the reductions! That is awesome that you are donating to the shelter. I try to keep my kit on the minimal side as well.

Wondered onto your journal. Congrats on the reductions! That is awesome that you are donating to the shelter. I try to keep my kit on the minimal side as well.
Thanks for stopping by for a visit. I find it interesting how our tastes and habits change over time. For the first few years of my wetshaving journey it was all about trying everything...and accumulation of stuff. As I learned what I liked and didn't like the emphasis is now more on identifying my minimalist kit and enjoying perfect, consistent shaves. What's your story? How did you end up with a minimalist kit? Or maybe you were sensible and started out with one in mind?

Tim seems sensible to me.

Minimalists do seem to find each other here over time. I don’t think it’s monk-like self-denial. Seems usually more like devotion to process and purpose over collection and accumulation . . .

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. I find it interesting how our tastes and habits change over time. For the first few years of my wetshaving journey it was all about trying everything...and accumulation of stuff. As I learned what I liked and didn't like the emphasis is now more on identifying my minimalist kit and enjoying perfect, consistent shaves. What's your story? How did you end up with a minimalist kit? Or maybe you were sensible and started out with one in mind?

I started with a basic combo kit that was a stand, brush, razor and cup. The razor had alignment issues so I started my search. Bought a Slim and then things started progressing from there. To stay organized, I built a small shelf for my kit and had one simple rule. If it doesn’t fit on the shelf, I can’t keep it. That really helped me keep my purchases sensible. My kit is not bare minimum, but not over the top either. I’m just kinda in the middle, having a good time.

Tim seems sensible to me.

Minimalists do seem to find each other here over time. I don’t think it’s monk-like self-denial. Seems usually more like devotion to process and purpose over collection and accumulation . . .

Not a self-denial thing for me, I do want some variety in my shaving. I just try to practice moderation.

One of the things that got me started on the minimalist kick was one day I looked through my various boxes of soaps and creams and I realized that I would likely never use most of them and it seemed such as waste. They were great fun when I purchased them but once that initial thrill of opening the mailbox and first use wore off I just accumulated them. And I realized I didn't like so much stuff, so much choice. It didn't improve my shaving experience. So I started to search for my top performing soaps and ended up with Truefitt and Hill and Proraso creams. I have resolved to reduce to less than 5 soaps and creams and I am not quite there yet, but I am thinking by the end of the year I will be down to just a very few. I like that the men's shelters welcome shaving and grooming stuff for their men. I hope it brings them a bit of comfort and peace. And I know I will feel much better.

Completely understandable. Though no one would have come after you if you had decided to keep everything. We only need what we need. The rest belongs to everyone else.

Today I finally culled my brushes. I started with 11 and I am now down to 6 -- 3 badger and 3 boar. Eventually I will get down to two of each, and maybe one of each, but this was a big leap for me. I've been putting this off for some time now. I boxed up the others and they will end up in my museum someday. I can't remember the numbers of the brushes, but I decided to keep: boar brushes -- one Omega and two Semogue and for my badgers: one Parker, one Simpson and one Vulfix. There...I feel better. Carry on.

I can't remember my last update on my soaps, but I am now down to two shoe boxes of soaps and creams. While this may sound like a lot it is a huge improvement from even just a few weeks ago. I have PIFd a few more, a few more have hit the showers and I am slowly trying all of them...I'm giving each one of them one week of consecutive shaves and if they don't attain a high standard of performance they will be jettisoned from the den. I am judge and jury! I need to buy a gavel (those wooden hammer things judges use to bring the court to order). This week coming the soap in the prisoners box is B&M Seville. The evidence will be presented and then it can seek the mercy of the court. (Good news is, I like this soap...I may grant a pardon and stay of execution).

This past week I did purchase two bottles of vintage Old Spice AS (bottles were 3/4 full) from an antique store...I just couldn't resist. This is a treat for me and a time travel journey to my childhood. Every morning while I was eating my Captain Crunch or Corn Flakes cereal my Dad would come into the kitchen, freshly shaved, smelling of Old Spice. Every Christmas I would take the few dollars I earned from my paper route and buy him some kind of Old Spice gift pack. That was his signature scent. I think it will now be mine. The minimalist journey continues. It is a lonely road to walk, but alas, I feel called to this path.

As this week draws to a close I believe the judge has returned from his chamber, the jury has handed him the envelope and the verdict is in: B&M Seville has been found not guilty of poor performance. Indeed the judge has issued an apology that Seville would ever be tried in the first place. How dare anyone even consider this excellent soap for the crime of poor performances! Shame! B&M Seville is a keeper!

Next up for trial is Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. For the next week this soap will be put through its paces to determine if it makes the short list of Rusty Blade's Minimalist Kit. The Minimalist Kit is to contain no more than 7 soaps or creams.

So...the soaps and creams that have been granted a royal warrant for inclusion in Rusty Blade's Minimalist Kit are as follows: (This the A list...the runners up are on the B list to be used on occasion or for travel until they are gone...likely not to be replaced)
A List
Truefitt & Hill 1805
Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort
Proraso Green
B&M Seville
Saponificio Varesino

The B List include those that have been spared banishment to the showers or a PIF or those that are waiting for trial. The B List includes:
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars (trial date set for Saturday and next week)
MWF
Pre de Provence
Stirling Barbershop
Haslinger Schafmilch
Van der Hagen
And a few others skulking around in my shoeboxes.

Stay tuned!

So ... what’s your take on the PdP? I saw that one of the notes is Cedar. Is that a heavy note? I have been on the fence about buying it.

So ... what’s your take on the PdP? I saw that one of the notes is Cedar. Is that a heavy note? I have been on the fence about buying it.
I am wondering if you might be referring to the PdP 63? The PdP Shea Butter shave soap I have is a herbal scented (sage) soap. I haven't used it in a long time...but it is on my list to try again! My memory of it is that it is an excellent soap, with a great scent...but that was a couple of years ago. I have gone through a couple of tubes of the PdP ASB...excellent product.

Top Bottom