What's new

Rust on blade

Anyone know what would be an ideal RH range for storing SRs?
Iron starts to rust at 50% RH and steel is around 80% RH. If we are talking about protecting metal the lower the humidity the better but as @rbscebu says we must also consider the scales. 50% is recommended for preservation of historic artifacts made of ivory, bone, horn and shell. This is the upper end for iron but safety below the threshold for steel. For wood it is generally recommended to storage near the average ambient humidity of your location. In Melbourne, Australia the yearly average is 50% but there are big daily and seasonal swings.

For plastic scales I think it makes sense to go as dry as possible <50%. For natural scales 45-50% is a good number to shoot for. If natural scales get too dry they will tend to crack and become brittle. Constant changes in humidity are also no good. Stable humidity and temperature are best.

It is important to remember that relative humidity is directly related temperature. It is a measure of how saturated the air is prior to reaching the dew point. The total water content of a sealed container may be constant but the relative humidity will change (drastically) with temperature. To keep humidity stable you must also maintain a stable temperate or have a means of extracting or inserting moisture from/into the air as the temperature changes. This is where desiccants like silca gel or saturated salt solutions are useful. They have the ability to adjust the water levels in the air to maintain stable conditions. The larger the surface area, the faster the adjustment. The greater the mass, the the larger volume of air it is able to control.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When I was using my electronic dry cabinet in Cebu, Philippines, I would set it for 35% RH. That worked well for all my SR's. I didn't have SR's with ivory or hone scales then. If I had, I would have set it to 45% RH.

IMG_20210313_092735.jpg

My goodness, so many storage options.

Anybody use Ballistol for protection? Seems to be pretty cheap and readily available as an aerosol spray.

Well I decided to forget the rust and just use it. First time using lapping film and diamond pasted balsa strips, went through the Slash McCoy method all the way down to 0.25 micron diamond spray. I think I finally know what truly passing the hanging hair test actually looks like now. Effortless.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Well I decided to forget the rust and just use it. First time using lapping film and diamond pasted balsa strips, went through the Slash McCoy method all the way down to 0.25 micron diamond spray. I think I finally know what truly passing the hanging hair test actually looks like now. Effortless.
The Method uses three grades of diamond paste; 0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm. Most (myself included) have found that shaving off the 0.25μm gives the worst result out of the three. 0.5μm is better and 0.1μm is the best. Don't know why this is so, it is just what has been experienced.

The Method uses three grades of diamond paste; 0.5μm, 0.25μm and 0.1μm. Most (myself included) have found that shaving off the 0.25μm gives the worst result out of the three. 0.5μm is better and 0.1μm is the best. Don't know why this is so, it is just what has been experienced.
My mistake. I actually used the 1/8 micron to finish, so 0.125 micron. I followed the method

I just picked up some humidity indicating strips for my low tech straight razor storage boxes. The humidity in these boxes is actively controlled by either orange indicating silica gel or 49% Boveda Humidity packs. I now have a second layer of protection to monitor that everything is working.

04B1A66C-1EB2-43DD-8B70-57169C72BCC3.jpeg

The cupboard isn’t looking so good. Active duty razors that are kept in here are lightly coated with Ballistol between shaves.

498B7275-882F-4E19-87ED-C7E1D57745B7.jpeg

Bad boy. No razors in the bathroom. Back to their Tupperware houses!

You might want to be careful with all that silica and your ivory, though.
Haha. Living on the edge!

I keep the ivory at 50% RH with the Boveda packs. I did chuck a few old silica packs in there but they have already climatized. They give a bit more surface area for faster buffering. 😀

Last edited:
Top Bottom