What's new

Ruger is making the Charger again.

I swung in a local gun shop just to kill a little time. I sure was tempted by the Charger pistol(ish). I might have succumb if .22lr ammo was possible to get.

Any one here have a first hand experience with accuracy?

I thought it had been back out for a while now.....like at least a year if not two. I hear ya on the .22lr. I have about ten thousand rounds stockpiled that I hate getting into. Luckily Cabela's gets some in now and then and I can get about a thousand at a time using my wife's login, mine, and as a guest.

I never saw the point. It can't be shot like a pistol very well or shot like a rifle very well, either.....I shoot at a dedicated rimfire range alot. I have seen several guys but them and after a few boxes of shells, the novelty wears off and I don't see them again .

Ohhh, they have a takedown version....

But yeah, it probably gets boring unless you have a lively range with steel targets and such. Punching paper with that thing would get old fast I think.

IMO accuracy is always fun, although I can definitely see that this is not the gun for everyone... The guy behind the counter said the gun can shoot 1/2" at 50 yards. If that's true, it out shoots me and my 22/45. Put some decent glass on it; a niche between a pistol and a rifle.

Long range plinking, garden defense, small game... Definitely a place for a gun like this. It would have probably followed me home if the days of $20 bricks were still with us. My 10/22 did very well with Federal game shock. I miss the days when you could buy rim fire ammo.

I doubt if a Charger will consistently shoot 1/2" 50 yard groups. Most factory 10/22 rifles will not, except the ones on the Internet....I run/compete in local rimfire benchrest matches. I have heard a lot of 10/22 tack driver talk. The tale always changes when we bring back the targets for scoring.... I have seen a lot of guys continue to throw 100 dollar bills at 10/22 rifles in what they call a "build" only to get beat week after week by stock barreled Remington 40x , Winchester 52 and Anschutz 54 rifles. They usually throw in the towel and buy a different gun if they want to compete....With all that said, I doubt if a Charger will shoot any better than a 10/22 since it is basically the same gun with a lopped off barrel.

Last edited:
I was thinking that 1/2 at 50 yards seemed too good to be true. I can't shoot that well anyway, then there is the price of match grade ammo, which ain't 'zactly in my budget. If anything my next gun will likely be a nice airgun pistol. I was tempted today at an airgun show.

I have seen some pretty nice 10/22s with goodies (triggers etc) added at my local range. I've not paid much attention to how well they do. 'course it's a whole different game when you need a plug with a built in magnifying glass to score. We have some pretty good shooters. One guy just got listed nationally for airgun bench rest.

Just being nosey. What's your fav rimfire to shoot off the bench? What do you feed it?

My favorite is my Remington 40x heavy barrel with a 36x Weaver and a 2 ounce Shilen trigger. It shoots Lapua Center X very well....It is a very nice original gun from the late 60's. It has a very nice original 40x stock that hasn't been cut. The barrel also had not be shortened or rechambered.

Last edited:
2 oz... I guess that's don't even think about putting your finger be the trigger til your ready.

Sounds like a neat rifle.

I won't purchase another .22LR until I can readily purchase .22LR ammo without having to hoard it or wait in line at a store at 6AM. I'll stick with ammo I can reload for now.

I won't purchase another .22LR until I can readily purchase .22LR ammo without having to hoard it or wait in line at a store at 6AM. I'll stick with ammo I can reload for now.

I hear ya. I just picked up 3000 pills at Missouri Bullet Co today. That should keep me busy the next couple months at the reloading bench.

Top Bottom