What's new

Chronographs

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've owned and been dabbling with various chronographs over the last 30 + years. My first one was a PACT Mk IV combination chrono and shot timer that eventually bit the dust after several years of use. After that I upgraded to the PACT Professional with built in printer. I always wanted an Oehler 35P but never got one. A few years ago, I added a Magnetospeed which works great when it works, a bit fiddly trying to get everything aligned just right. Great not to have to fool with sky screens but just doesn't work with every firearm. Plus there's the issue of having something attached to your barrel that disrupts barrel harmonics and often changes POI. These issues have led me to not use a chrono as frequently as I might otherwise do so. After seeing a few PRS shooters using their Labradar units at the range, I decided to finally bite the bullet and order one. For a long time I had difficulty justifying the cost of the Labradar unit, plus they were unavailable for over a year through the usual outlets, I assume due to electronic chip availability? My order has been placed, but I'm still awaiting delivery from Optics Planet. (I have a love/hate relationship with OP.)

Once I figure out all of the idiosyncrasies of the LR unit, I believe it's use and quick set up and ability to use with with any firearm will justify the cost and will result in using a chrono much more frequently and with more firearm types. I haven't chrono'ed pistol loads in years because of the hassle, I just pick a load from the reloading manual that is less than max and call it good. I think that will change with the Labradar unit.

So what's your experience with chronographs and how does the inevitable hassle of setting one up affect your frequency of use? Do you chrono all of your guns or only when developing long range accuracy or subsonic loads?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’m still using an old Competition Electronics “ProChrono” that I’ve had for close to 15yrs. Other than having to replace a rod that I bent I’ve never had any issues with it.

I’m interested in hearing your experience with the labradar unit. Most of the ranges around me are indoor so a Labradar or a Magnetospeed are my only real options and I don’t really like the idea of hanging something from the barrel.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It's been a long time since I have shot at an indoor range. Even though I have access to an outdoor range when there are few to no other shooters, it is still time consuming to set up a chronograph, obviously an issue if you are paying by the hour to use either an indoor or outdoor range. Also, if using the Magnetospeed, it's potential disturbance of POI means you're wasting ammo if you shoot some just to log chrono data and then remove the device and shoot more for accuracy. And seeing a shooting buddy whip out his Labradar, quickly set it up, fire a few pistol rounds to check a new reload before a match and put it all away in a few minutes really drove home the practicality and efficiency of using the LR unit.

I have had a Shooting Chrony F-1 for close to 25 years. I only use it for load development. That doesn't happen often because I usually find a recipe and set it and forget it. Set up is no big deal, because I usually have the range all to myself on weekdays.

I started with the shooting chrony for $100 CAD back in the 90s. It worked for a bit, then it just threw up error after error. I go pretty frustrated with it and quite some time later I bought a magnetospeed. I've missed a total of 3 shots with it over the years I've owned it. I only shoot rifle so it works for me. I also only shoot for average speeds so I can look for the flat spot in velocity and tune from there.

My friends would use it and they said that it worked, but they were going to get the Labradar. One eventually did buy one and we all got to try it. Like the others, it works great when it works. It misses shots if your bullet doesn't travel through a fairly narrow shooting window. It runs on batteries (also like the others) so it can be problematic if you don't remember spares or to charge it. It did not pick up any shots in the winter when we had a 2-3' snow bank in front of the bench. I live in central BC Canada so shooting in the winter is just a part of life.

I'll certainly say that either the magneto and the labradar are far superior to the optical systems.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The Labradar is certainly known to be a battery hog, the thing to do is use a rechargeable battery pack. There are aftermarket sighting devices you can use to better "aim" the unit to lesson missed shots. This can be a DIY straw section or tube, or more sophisticated add-ons that you can put a cheap red dot on.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Man for the money and the ease of set-up I think my Magneto Speed is the bees knees! simply strap the bayonette mount to the barrel, plug it into to brain box, and shoot! No screens to mess with, no aiming it (Lab Radar), and uses a 9v battery or (2) CR123s that will last a year plus! Really want doppler radar? There is a new toy out by Bullet Seeker. Also mounts to the barrel or pic rail and is about the size of a small flashlight. Down side? It's a $1000.00 but the Magneto Speed is about $500.00 now. <in old man voice> Back in the day I got mine for $279.00. Times they keep a changin'.

Legion

Staff member
I used to own a Shooting Chrony, I think it was the F1 model. I mostly used it for archery and slingshots, which it seemed to do pretty well. Never tried it with firearms.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@nikonNUT , do you have no concern about the Magnetospeed disturbing you barrel harmonics? I'll probably keep it and my PACT Pro. I will (eventually) be testing them side by side and probably check for changes in POI w/wo the Magnetospeed.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
@nikonNUT , do you have no concern about the Magnetospeed disturbing you barrel harmonics? I'll probably keep it and my PACT Pro. I will (eventually) be testing them side by side and probably check for changes in POI w/wo the Magnetospeed.
Not really. I suppose it depends on use case but I am not using a chrono to check accuracy. I am using a chronograph to find consistency. IF you can do both at the same time GREAT! But my sessions are to look for nodes i.e. where a change in charge weight offers a very small change in velocity. Example with .338LM...
105gr = 2750 FPS
106gr = 2800 FPS
107gr = 2810 FPS
108gr = 2815 FPS
109gr = 2850 FPS
110gr = 2900 FPS

So the chrono tells me I have a node around 170gr. Now I will play around that charge weight and see where my best ES/SD is. I still haven't chased a group size. Once ES/SD is locked down I'll ditch the chrono shoot a group and see if I actually nailed it or if there is more work to do aka jump/ jam, etc.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
IMG_2647.jpeg

On the way to the range this AM for a shake down cruise!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
IMG_2649.jpeg

Can't see the red dot in this phone pic for some reason, but it's there.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So the above Labradar worked as expected shooting 9mm handguns and a .223 carbine. Shooting the 10/22 with subsonic Wolf ammo, the Labradar did not pick it up,but to be fair, I didn't do a lot of trouble shooting, as I have the Airgun mic incoming. The menu is not entirely intuitive and it will take a while to get used to it. The iPhone app for the Labradar worked initially, but then lost bluetooth connection and I could not get it to re-connect. This seems to be an ongoing issue according to various reviews. Overall I'm pleased with it and realize that it will take a while to work out the bugs and learn it's idiosyncrasies.

Top Bottom