What's new

Rudy Vey Brushes

It might be Irish but it's all Greek to me. A dear friend who passed away some years ago used to teach Gaelic classes. He didn't learn English until he was a teen, but spoke it very well (the man was a genius in my book). When he swore, nobody around would understand a word.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I spent several summers in Connemara at a Gaeltacht in Indreabhan. Just past Spiddal.
It was basically a summer camp where only Irish is spoken. You got sent home if you were caught speaking English.
small world, have been through Spiddal a few times when coming down from Westport through Connemara on my way to Galway - which is my favorite Irish city.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I spent several summers in Connemara at a Gaeltacht in Indreabhan. Just past Spiddal.
It was basically a summer camp where only Irish is spoken. You got sent home if you were caught speaking English.
Of course- Coláiste Lurgan? My mother was an Irish speaker from Carraroe; my father was from east Galway, so he only had school Irish. I actually had better Irish than he had, as I learned it at my mother's knee. The funny thing is that I learned to speak Irish from infancy but I seldom saw it written until I was a university student. To this day there are colloquial terms that I know but I have difficulty trying to figure out how they should be written.

Colaiste Lurgan! Ta an ceart agat.
Small world.
My parents were both teachers and I actually learned to speak Irish before I could speak English.
The O’Foills were the family that started Lurgan. The father was a local politician and his son ran the Colaiste.
Great memories indeed.

small world, have been through Spiddal a few times when coming down from Westport through Connemara on my way to Galway - which is my favorite Irish city.

It really is a small world. I agree. Galway is a fantastic city. Two universities there. In my experience any town with college students is a vibrant place with lots of interesting pubs, restaurants etc.

Top Bottom