What's new

Royall Questions

First of all, I am an AS novice. I never used AS when I cartridge shaved and I never used it when I used an electric. I grew up easily scent offended and being a teacher, have never left the school environment where kids (and some adults) are using way to much product (like Axe). So actually using AS is all new to me and I want to avoid product overkill and products that are inappropriate to my environment.

I love the bottle of Royall Bay Rhum I got from Duckster. My wife thinks it smells of sweaty socks... but she has to stick her nose in it to smell - so in this case, her opinion isn't going to count that much.

Because of the rum thing, I don't wear it on workdays. However, I like the way it feels (yup, I like the burn!) and the way it works. I purchased a sample of lyme. However, I found that although I love lime in my drinks and my food, I don't like lime AS. I recently received some other Lime AS samples, and I still don't like Lime AS. Something about walking around smelling like jello does not appeal to me.

So here are my questions.. I hope that don't make me sound like a Royall P.I.T.A.

1) Am I just being paranoid about the Bay Rhum? I know it doesn't appear to last long and I don't smell it on me in an hour. However, am I being paranoid about not wearing it to work in a middle school? (other than on Talk Like a Pirate Day---ARGH!)
2) Am I the only person who finds Lyme to be too jello like?
3) If I try Mandarin, am I going to smell like orange jello?
4) I like the Ogalla, Royall Bay Rhum, and use Ice Blue AV during the work week. What would be a good choice from there - keeping in mind that A) I don't want to spend too much, and B) I want to be school appropriate.

I find the Mandarin to be stronger smelling than the Lyme and also has an almost "edible" scent - mor eso than the Lyme. I used to prefer the Mandarin to the Lyme but I've since switched.

A few thoughts:
  • Based on how you are describing the Lyme I would shy away from the Mandarin.
  • The Royal Vetyver is a nice scent and for me it doesn't last very long (longer than the Bay Rhum but not as long as Lyme or Mandarin)
  • I haven't tried the Royall Spice but that may be an option as well.
  • Here's a thought: Why stick with Royall at all? There are LOTS of alcohol based splashes out there so you'll be able to find one in a scent and longevity profile (sounds like you want it to fade quickly) that you want.
  • Check out some of the threads about various aftershaves or the Reviews section for many, many suggestions.
  • One last thing: If you are getting burn form your aftershave it's feedback you are roughing yourself up in some areas on your face. Shaving nirvana is getting a smooth shave and feeling virtually no burn when you apply an aftershave. But a bit of a burn is nice, I agree :smile:

I am open to suggestions for other brands, I don't feel the need to stick with Royall. I just like it in Bay Rhum. Perhaps I am just waiting for somebody to affirm that the smell weakens and will be unnoticeable by the time the first kid walks in my classroom 2 hours after I shaved.

I don't get that much burn from other A/S. I know it is a feedback on the shave; however, I when I put on A/S, and I feel like I just put on water, I wonder... what is the point?

Not that its important but what is your age? if you dont mind saying. I admire you that you still pursue wearing an AS in your profession. Alot of othe teachers on hear shy away from scents all together. As much as I would love promoting some of the old school AS's, I also see that you want to smell as neutral and non-offensive or smelling of a jolly rancher. I of course think Pinaud Clubman is a nice powdery old school scent that would fade probably by your first class. Maybe finding a edt/cologne you enjoy and going with its matching AS. There are plenty of AS's that dissipate very quicky--Osage rub, SCS Med Citrus, Thayers, etc. I know its just middle school, but you dont want the students thinking of their grandfather or crazy drunk uncle while you are walking up and down the aisle? I remember vividly the scents that my teachers wore and the weird thoughts that went through my mind. Stetson will always remind of a very creepy pedophile math teacher I had. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

I am open to suggestions for other brands, I don't feel the need to stick with Royall. I just like it in Bay Rhum. Perhaps I am just waiting for somebody to affirm that the smell weakens and will be unnoticeable by the time the first kid walks in my classroom 2 hours after I shaved.

I don't get that much burn from other A/S. I know it is a feedback on the shave; however, I when I put on A/S, and I feel like I just put on water, I wonder... what is the point?

Every one's skin is different but Bay Rum aftershaves and colognes are notoriously short lived. Most folks wished they lingered longer. Best bet is to put some on on a Saturday morning and ask your SO how long she can smell it. Since she doesn't care for the scent she is particularly sensitive to it so you have a really good barometer for how you'll do in the classroom. Good luck!

Well I certainly don't want to be the very creepy pedophile math teacher. I am OK with being a moderately mad science teacher. Why bother hiding the eccentricity when I can flaunt it?

I don't wear colognes. OK, more accurately, I have never worn them until recently. I have the T&H samplers and occasionally try some of them - but not on a school day.

For those wondering, there is no school today - so yes, I am Bay Rhum'ed and good to go.

I have been wearing AV on school days because, well... when I was younger, I saw many of the kids giving this as a Christmas gift to the male teachers/staff. So I assumed that it would be a safe scent. However, that was over 20 years ago.

Well I am 34 so I am in the same boat:) I personally cant stand AV but love their Sport version. I like the fresh aquatic scents over the musky types. T&H freshman is one of my favs right now. I have come to the conclusion to just a light AS scent and shoot for the cologne of choice. I wont name names but certain AS's that I think are horrible seem to be the ones that last so damn long! Luckily....as Eagle has done...has found alot of very inexpensive AS's to play with and has really found some jewels. Of course the samplers are cool as well:)

Am I just being paranoid about the Bay Rhum? I know it doesn't appear to last long and I don't smell it on me in an hour. However, am I being paranoid about not wearing it to work in a middle school? (other than on Talk Like a Pirate Day---ARGH!)

I've never had anyone think I smelled like I'd been drinking rum when I wear bay rums. I don't think anyone will think worse of you for it, even at work.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Because of the rum thing, I don't wear it on workdays. However, I like the way it feels (yup, I like the burn!) and the way it works.

1) Am I just being paranoid about the Bay Rhum? I know it doesn't appear to last long and I don't smell it on me in an hour. However, am I being paranoid about not wearing it to work in a middle school? (other than on Talk Like a Pirate Day---ARGH!)
2) Am I the only person who finds Lyme to be too jello like?
3) If I try Mandarin, am I going to smell like orange jello?
4) I like the Ogalla, Royall Bay Rhum, and use Ice Blue AV during the work week. What would be a good choice from there - keeping in mind that A) I don't want to spend too much, and B) I want to be school appropriate.

1) you are too paranoid about the Bay Rhum. I've never found a rum smell, just cloves. If you like the burn, try the Clubman Bay Rum, which burns like ... :bayrum2: ... the downside is the scent of cloves is a bit more longlasting.
2) I prefer to think of the Royall Lyme as "candy-like", but jell-o is close enough.
3) Ever tried Mandarin-flavoured jell-o?
4) Royall Vetyver is probably a good choice for you, among the Royall family. Royall comes in a big 16oz bottle that you can get fairly inexpensively at some perfume discounters online. I'd also say try out Pinaud Clubman for a good and inexpensive aftershave. I never would have thought of bay rum being inapropriate for a teacher to wear, as it's not an "oops I spilled my drink" sort of rum but mostly cloves. But I'll leave that for your better judgment as I'm not a teacher and your particular school/work environment may be different than I expect.

:biggrin:

Ogallala makes a wonderful bay rum.

SCS Mediterranean Citrus splash is another great a/s.

Osage Rub bites then freezes.

Pinaud Citrus Musk and Special Reserve are nice.

All of them will work but not hang around or make you smell like an old man.

marty

If you are open to other brands then here are a few that should meet your category of being light and not lasting a long time:

SCS Med. Citrus. Nice lemony scent that lasts about an hour.
Aubrey North Woods (got mine at Sprouts grocery). Masculine earthy smell that lasts about an hour.
Stephan Lilac. Smells like fresh, light lilac. Lasts 2 or 3 hours.
All the AV's are fairly light and short lived.
Pinaud Vanilla. Has a mild vanilla and powder scent. Lasts around 3 or 4 hours.
Pinaud Citrus Musk lasts quite awhile but has such a pleasing real citrus aroma.

Added bonus is all these are at or below 10 bucks.

Thanks for all the advice. I am definitely looking into finding some Osage rub. I may have to order that online. I guess I might take the plunge and try the Pinuad... although I could always try the lilac vegetal :biggrin:... As if...

what is the ingredient list for the Royall all purpose lotions??

are these healthy for the skin ...um specifically the face.:001_smile

im curious because it's listed as an "all purpose lotion" or "cologne"

How effective is using the "all purpose lotion" as an aftershave??

I too don't like long lasting scents. There are some really excellent aftershaves out there that smell great, but don't linger too long afterward or at least don't throw much scent off your face.

I have tried and really like Dominica Bay Rum and Weleda Aftershave lotion (not the balm, which is also super). The Dominica and Weleda are very different but both work very well.

im curious because it's listed as an "all purpose lotion" or "cologne"

How effective is using the "all purpose lotion" as an aftershave??

The Royalls with the exception of Royall Musk are listed as "all purpose lotions". Their accompanying literature indicates you can use them as an aftershave or a body splash to refresh and invigorate your skin (or something like that).

The all purpose lotions work well as aftershaves since they contain alcohol. If you are opposed to an alcohol based splash then these are in that category and not for you. Some folks, including doctors, feel alcohol is not good to put on your skin. I'm sure there is goodness in the various essential oils used in each lotion (Lime, vs. Orange, vs. Bay Rum vs .....) so each one will perform differently based on the essential oils used. For example: For whatever reason my skin feels very smooth and soft after using Royall Lyme, more so than any other aftershave I use. Dunno why, I just like it. I reek like limes for a while after application, which I also like. :thumbup1:

The Musk is definitely not suitable for use as an aftershave. Maybe the alcohol content is higher. Maybe the various oils used for fragrance are not good things to put on freshly shaved skin.

I can say I've used Lyme, Vetyver, Bay Rhum & Mandarin as an aftershave with great results. I've used Musk as an aftershave with terrible, terrible results. Trust me, don't go there. I've used the Musk as a Cologne with great results. At first I didn't care for the Musk. As my sense for these various aftershaves and edt's has developed I came to appreciate the Musk and pull it out for special occasions. Big plus is my wife digs the Musk.

1) Although it has been answered already (I have been busy)... I find that as a general purpose lotion Bay Rhum is great as an after shave and not good as a cologne.

2) Osage Rub is in. I tried it this morning... and based on a total experience of one use.. I like.... But I could swear I caught its fragrance occasionally through the day.

Top Bottom