What's new

Rotisserie attachment

I got a propane gas grill from a mate at work a year ago - a Weber Spirit 500 - and this year I popped for replacing the grills and burners. The rest of the grill is in great shape. But I also bought the Rotisserie attachment. I don't think there is anything more wonderful then rotisserie cooked chicken.

$2011-07-06_18-11-21_78.jpg

My trussing skills are not expert - more like keep wrapping till everything stops moving. Note the drip pan, it collects the grease and is far enough away that it doesn't burn. Makes the most excellent gravy for the mashed potatoes!

And there isn't anything more hands off, just make sure that the temperature stays even, check it every 15 minutes or so. It's hard to ruin a rotisserie cooked chicken.

I think I can get two large chickens on there without overworking the motor (not sure), but they did include a balance that fits on the other end of the spit. It takes a bit of experimentation, it does even out the motor's load.

Does anybody else use a rotisserie?

-jim

I don't think there is anything more wonderful then rotisserie cooked chicken.

-jim

Try a pork roast. The idea is the same, tie it up to make it as evenly round as possible. My grill has three grates. I take out the center grate and hang the drip pan there, suspended by the other two grates. That way it stays off the burner so that I can use the center burner as well if I want to put liquid in the pan. Usually I'll leave the liquid out and use the drippings in the pan to baste the meat. I also like to use a smoker box over one of the end burners to provide light smoke to the bird or pork. It just adds an extra nice touch to the finished product.

I never have needed the counter weight for the spit. I just make sure position everything so that it is balanced.

Smoker box? is it more then aluminum foil folded into a tray? Right now, if I want something with smoke flavor, I have to go to my charcoal grill.

OT: The last beef ribs I made I started off on my charcoal grill to get some of that good flavor and then moved them to the propane grill to cook them slow in a more controlled manner. I need all the help with control that I can get.

-jim

Hi ! that chicken looks good :)

What did you put inside it , if anything ? On my side I made a mixture of garden aromatic herbs, butter and coarsely chopped garlic and stuff them with it. I only cooked 2 chickens since I got my rotisserie but I can tell it's something I will push on.

About the trussage, I found a few good videos on youtube showing how to do it efficiently. My first chicken was not tight enough and ended up wiggling around every turn of the rotisserie. Second time I truss it AFTER installing the metal trust trough it. It was much easier this way. Balance and immobility is what is needed.

For me, skin crispyness is what I have a hard time with. On that second attempt I tried air drying the chicken in the fridge for a few hours like it was recommended to me, but still It was not like what I remember from the good rotisserie restaurant. I think next time I will give a try to basting.

Smoker box? is it more then aluminum foil folded into a tray? Right now, if I want something with smoke flavor, I have to go to my charcoal.

-jim

A smoker box can be found wherever grill accessories are sold. It's a heavy cast iron box that is about 6x4x2 inches. Works the same as foil. I like to preheat it along with the grill and then load it up with my soaked wood chips. They are generally not as good as a dedicated smoker, but they can do a lot once you get the hang of them.

For crispy skin on the bird it helps to slather it with some sort of oil or butter. Basting with the drippings also helps, that why I use a drip pan to catch them. You can also use some of the drippings for gravy.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yes indeed. We have done mostly chicken but also the occasional beef roast. I especially recall one that my wife's uncle gave us . . . He is a dairy farmer but also raises a few head for beef. It was larger than we would normally consider buying . . . I think it was a couple of separate pieces combined . . . about 6lbs. Turned out wonderfully.

My parents house still has a counter top rotisserie cooker. It was popular about 40 years ago. Works the same as one on a propane grill except that it is electric heat. As small kids, me and my brother used to sit and watch the meat spin in it, and enjoy the smells.

I have the Ronco Rotisserie and have loved it for every second. Chicken, pork roast, turkey or chicken breasts...it's all great. Mine came with a little basket for the chops and breasts and things. It does great grilled vegetables, as well.

My parents house still has a counter top rotisserie cooker. It was popular about 40 years ago. Works the same as one on a propane grill except that it is electric heat. As small kids, me and my brother used to sit and watch the meat spin in it, and enjoy the smells.

I remember living in a house as a young kid 5-6 and the oven (not ours, we rented for years if not living on base) had a rotisserie inside of it. I think that set rotisserie cooking into my genes, because I remember that vividly. I have a Farberware that I've used for years. It works great but it's a pain to clean.

How cool is this kind of cooking, rotating meat over something hot. :smile:

-jim

Rotisserie cooking is most likely one of the earliest methods of cooking. Although back then, it was a spit over a fire. After all of the centuries that it has been used, it has to be in our genes by now.

Top Bottom