What's new

Roll your own?

I remember when Drum reappeared back at the shops. I was so excited. I immediately bought a pack, walked-in to a local pub. While the barkeep was drawing my beverage I opened the pack. It looked strange. It smelled awful and the roll was not Drum-like at all. I rolled a smoke and put light to it. Argh! What had they done! What I remember hearing was the D.E. just sold the distribution rights to a US company (I can't remember if it was Republic or Liberty at the time). Horrible, horrible stuff. But by that time I had made the transition to 3 Castles so I was okay.

I never got into the Drum. When I first started smoking RYO I tried a couple of packs and it was decent, but then the next pack was real nasty. This must have been the change you're talking about.

Has anyone else besides me ever used Half and Half as a RYO? It used to be advertised as as both pipe and cigarette tobacco, but now it's sold strictly as a pipe tobacco to skirt tax issues. Still perfectly fine to smoke as a cigarette.

I can't recall the name....but when I was a kid (late 60's to early-70's) there was a cigarette-making "kit" marketed. It had tubes that were placed on a hollow, pointed tube. There was a chamber to place a filter, and another for tobacco. Pushing a lever "injected" the filter and tobacco into the tube and *voila* a cigarette, I think the kit even had boxes for the finished product.
They must not have sold too well. As for RYO, I remember some old-timers who could roll a perfect smoke with one hand.

A good resource for home-made cigarettes is www.ryomagazine.com

Reviews of tobaccos, papers, machines, links to vendors, along with smatterings of philosophy, political opinions and socio-economic discourse.

I can't recall the name....but when I was a kid (late 60's to early-70's) there was a cigarette-making "kit" marketed. It had tubes that were placed on a hollow, pointed tube. There was a chamber to place a filter, and another for tobacco. Pushing a lever "injected" the filter and tobacco into the tube and *voila* a cigarette...

My buddy used to have one of those. It looked just like this Premier Excel, except it was red. Anyway, we'd buy the tubes and tobacco in bulk and save an obscene amount of money. That thing was fast, too. Twenty cigs for a pack probably took 3-5 minutes, max. Nice that the end result was (visually) indistinguishable from a commercial smoke, too, no matter the "blend".

I was rolling my own until recently when they increased the rolling tobacco taxes by over 2173%. I was rolling my own for two main reasons, price and quality. I was usiong a Premier Excel machine with zig-zag tubes and a variety of differant tobaccos Now that the prices are so high for ryo tobacco its just not worth the hassle for me anymore, so now i smoke Nat Sherman MCD. They are pricey but the tobacco is really high quality with no additives and they burn nice and slow you can get two smoke breaks from each one. I may try the D&R "pipe" tobacco and see how it works out, its supposed to be the same as the cigarette tobacco with a larger cut.

I may try the D&R "pipe" tobacco and see how it works out, its supposed to be the same as the cigarette tobacco with a larger cut.

A lot of friends I have are using a tobacco grinder to cut down the pipe tobacco because it's so much cheaper. That shows the stupidity of the tax increase- because a leaf of tobacco is cut a millimeter longer, it is suddenly exempt from being taxed like cigarette tobacco. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

i love the taste of the Golden Virginia,
and the drum halfszware is quite good,

i smoke them unfiltered and can roll them so they look exactly like a cigarette, :)

takes about 20 seconds to roll, and i do it backwards :) i have the glue side of the paper closest to me, and when i roll i use my fingers to tuck in the papers and it seems to work way better than using your thumbs to roll it up,

one trick for you hand rollers that my cousin showed me to minimize the amount of paper, and get more flavour out of the smoke...

turn the paper inside out, so that the sticky part of the glue strip is closest to you. Pack, roll back n forth, then tuck the stick end in and roll like you normally would. Like it from the outside, let it seep through and it will activate the glue(try not to juice it to much). Give it a few second so the paper isn't clear, and delicately tear off the extra paper (this is usually about half a sheet) just inside the glue line.

The cigarette has so much more flavour, and if your not using a filter, saves your lungs from a ton of the nasty stuff. It burns a little better too imo.

The dutch could show us a thing or two about rolling "anything". I was amazed watching these people on the train or in the coffee shops rolling their own (whatever they were smoking) one handed.

i knew a cowboy once that could roll one handed, he taught me, but i think its more of a trick than anything else,

i knew a guy that could put a line of water on the table, just the width of the glue strip, lay the strip in it and put his tobacco on, and roll it up by sliding his hand over it , it would roll up and gum itself in one roll ,

it was pretty insane, i think ive seen a youtube video too

hang on, i;ll see if i can find it

lol, this one is fake but that's okay, same kind of idea, [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TaOzFicRs0[/YOUTUBE]

also, i knew a guy who could lay it in his left hand unrolled and slide the right hand up and then just gum it to make it stick :)

i;m happy dropping people's jaws with good old 2 hand rolling though

Alot of men in greece roll one handed while talking on the phone and driving a manual car on some of the curviest mountain roads in existence....seriously :eek:

Top Bottom