What's new

Rocnel ajustable sailor 2020

So we wait and see what the production run 2020 brings.

@loot - I can't believe that you haven't tried a Gibbs. Absolutely nothing wrong with your reasons, just the way that it is!!

@vvval - I look forward to your comparisons.
Gibbs on 2 - mmmmm, I'm guessing 5/6 on the Fatboy, 1 less on the Toggle

Gibbs 15 and 17 on the number 2 with astra blades-a comfortable and clean shave. Against growth of 1.5

So we wait and see what the production run 2020 brings.

@loot - I can't believe that you haven't tried a Gibbs. Absolutely nothing wrong with your reasons, just the way that it is!!

@vvval - I look forward to your comparisons.
Gibbs on 2 - mmmmm, I'm guessing 5/6 on the Fatboy, 1 less on the Toggle

I am rather surprised I've not tried one too. It's not for lack of availability, Frank offered to send me one several times but I declined. I limit my vintage adjustables to Gillette and Rocnel in modern razors. I do have a Merkur Vision 2000 but I've not loaded a blade in it. It was sold to me as NOS and it just didnt feel good in my hand, so back in the box it went. It's on a shelf like Wheezy from Toy Story, just not broke.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

From old razors, I advise you to try gibbs 15 gibbs 17 and apollo micron. apollo is most similar to rocnel,but less effective.

it would be interesting to hear how Merkur Vision 2000 compares at least with fatboy
Two totally opposite razors. A better comparison would be to the Sailor.
The Vision is big and aggressive. Its bigger than a Sailor 2019 but is made of aluminium and probably weighs about the same. Its not as aggressive as my 2019 Sailor.

Its head is more rounded and also wider - so manoeuvrability is a bit of an issue. As @loot pointed out it feels a bit awkward in your hands. Its almost like Mekur wanted a big razor but tried to rid it of weight.

The Fatboy - my personal view is that it does not live up to the hype around it. It's a very mild to medium razor. It has a very nice feel and balance to it, but as a shaver there are better in the Gillette Adjustable range.

I divide adjustable razors into those that have the head open and those that have it completely removed and have a middle plate. In my opinion, when opening and closing the head, it is very difficult to achieve rigidity of the structure. I still have only one such razor-FrankShaving, but I'm waiting for Fatboy and Toggle. Compare a sailor with such razors can be exactly as "adjustability". If you compare the "adjustability", that is, the ability to adjust to different blades and change the aggression during shaving-then you can compare all the razors in this section. With respect.

What a beautiful and yet tough looking razor in design and fit and finish - like the fusion between a hypercar and a main battle tank!

However do I understand the OP correctly that he found it too aggressive beyond the setting 2?

This concerns only my feelings. My friend use 2019 ajustable rocnel razor at 4-5 settings and enjoys it. I think I'll improve my settings over time. It should be understood that this razor gap starts from 0.9

This concerns only my feelings. My friend use 2019 ajustable rocnel razor at 4-5 settings and enjoys it. I think I'll improve my settings over time. It should be understood that this razor gap starts from 0.9

No worries - as someone with sensitive skin and a sparse stubble I dont need much more than a mild razor and I was surprised the sailor is inclined so much to the more aggressive settings. The design is very appealing though and it is one of the freshest looking designs I have seen for a razor.

I have sensitive skin and stiff stubble, and I need to shave every day. The sailor is the only one when I don't find any stubble after shaving in the evening.

I have sensitive skin and stiff stubble, and I need to shave every day. The sailor is the only one when I don't find any stubble after shaving in the evening.

I just used my 2020 Sailor. On the first pass, I used it on #6 (one complete rotation back to the dot). For the second pass, I dropped to 1. Final half pass, set on 2. I am going to go out on a limb and guess you lean toward milder razors...even though I've not used the ones you listed that you like. On 1, there is very little blade feel. On 2 there is enough to maintain the edge without losing it, much like my Wolfman WR2 1.15mm SB. The 115 would be my choice for daily use, so the Sailor on 2ish would be a good fit. You will probably like the Toggle on 5 or 6 but I don't think it will cut as close as the Sailor on 2.

One day, I'm going to take a couple of hours with a spreadsheet and some feeler gauges and compare the 3 Sailor model's blade gaps through the first turn.

07.09.2020 SOTD.jpg

As far as I know, rocnel 2020 starts with 0.9 GAP and each division increases by 70 microns. If I understand correctly: 0,9-0,97-1,04-1,11-1,18-1,25. I Think that's it.

I want to get the feeling of "the touch of a bird's feather" - a very gentle but effective shave. On some razors it is possible.
P.S.-Very nice foto!

I want to get the feeling of "the touch of a bird's feather" - a very gentle but effective shave. On some razors it is possible.
P.S.-Very nice foto!

Thank you, sir.

That explains a lot right there. You and I are seemingly on opposite ends of the 2020 spectrum.

Perhaps you would like a Paradigm 17-4. Or maybe Wolfman WR2 .95 or 1.05. You tried either of those?

Now I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on the Toggle. It should be right up your alley. I'd imagine you will like it somewhere between 3 and 5.

Thank you, sir.

That explains a lot right there. You and I are seemingly on opposite ends of the 2020 spectrum.

Perhaps you would like a Paradigm 17-4. Or maybe Wolfman WR2 .95 or 1.05. You tried either of those?

Now I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on the Toggle. It should be right up your alley. I'd imagine you will like it somewhere between 3 and 5.

Hello,

How does the Rocnel 2020 compare to other razors on it's lowest settings?

Is it as mild as say a Paradigm 17-4? Or perhaps the Paradigm Ti 2?

Thank you.

Edited due to spelling error.

Hello,

How does the Rocnel 2020 compare to other razors on it's lowest settings?

Is it as mild as say a Paradigm 17-4? Or perhaps the Paradigm Ti 2?

Thank you.

Edited due to spelling error.
Its been years since I owned a 17-4 so take with a grain of salt. On its lowest setting, the Sailor has slightly more blade feel and likely cuts closer. Smoothness is pretty similar as I recall. Ive not used lowest setting in Sailor for a full shave yet tho. Only for final 1/2 pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom