What's new

Rockwell Blades

M

Member 113878

Got a great smooth shave with a Rockwell blade in my 6C with plate R3 this morning!
Really surprised with the smoothness!

After all the chatter about the Rockwell blade, both positive and negative (although overwhelmingly negative,)
I decided to finally give one a fair try. Loaded into my Rockwell 6C (plate R4), a nice rich face lather with my
Simpsons Colonel X2L and Proraso Blue cream----- an easy three pass shave, BBS result with absolutely no
irritation or discomfort. Very nice, but nothing special. The Rockwell blade did its job efficiently, although not
quite as sharp and not quite as smooth as my favorite blade for this razor ---- the Gillette Nacet.
I'll give this first Rockwell blade two more shaves, and save the remaining four blades in the tuck for a future
trial. I'll probably not be buying these blades, but I'm glad I tried one --- nowhere near as "bad" as I've read.

IMG_0090.JPG

On a suggestion from another thread I tried a Rockwell blade in my Gillette red tip. Incredibly close and comfortable shave. I hadn't been a Rockwell blade can until now

After all the chatter about the Rockwell blade, both positive and negative (although overwhelmingly negative,)
I decided to finally give one a fair try. Loaded into my Rockwell 6C (plate R4), a nice rich face lather with my
Simpsons Colonel X2L and Proraso Blue cream----- an easy three pass shave, BBS result with absolutely no
irritation or discomfort. Very nice, but nothing special. The Rockwell blade did its job efficiently, although not
quite as sharp and not quite as smooth as my favorite blade for this razor ---- the Gillette Nacet.
I'll give this first Rockwell blade two more shaves, and save the remaining four blades in the tuck for a future
trial. I'll probably not be buying these blades, but I'm glad I tried one --- nowhere near as "bad" as I've read.

View attachment 873799

You have the new packaging. It makes me wonder if they have changed the blade.

I have the old black packaging. I keep coming back to these blades every 2 or 3 months because I always end up thinking no modern blade could be that bad. It's like when you think a razor sucks and then you try it a year later and it got mysteriously transformed into a good razor. My shaving skills have improved over the past few years, and even over the past six months I've found technique improvements. But no, the Rockwell blades I have always suck. Very dull. They just do not cut well.

Used a fresh Rockwell in my Fatip this morning. I won't say it is a top blade but it was ok, especially after the first pass. We know it's one of the least sharp blades out there, under favorable conditions with proper technique it apparently can perform adequately.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Used a fresh Rockwell in my Fatip this morning. I won't say it is a top blade but it was ok, especially after the first pass. We know it's one of the least sharp blades out there, under favorable conditions with proper technique it apparently can perform adequately.
proxy.php

And you have the old packaging! OK, I'm going to try again. I've got a Fatip Grande. I'll try it in that since it worked OK for you. How many passes did you go? How would you rate the shave? This will be an interesting experiment.

And you have the old packaging! OK, I'm going to try again. I've got a Fatip Grande. I'll try it in that since it worked OK for you. How many passes did you go? How would you rate the shave? This will be an interesting experiment.
I attach no great significance to my results for anyone else. I do two passes on my beard (WTG, XTG/ATG), one ATG pass plus cleanups on my head. I'm an every day shaver. As I said, the shave was ok. I'm not binning the blades, nor would I buy them. Good luck.

Last edited:
Two more shaves with the Rockwell blade in my Rockwell 6C razor .... both were very nice !
Sunday evening, with plate R4 --- smooth, comfortable, and no irritation. Easy BBS result.
This evening (Tuesday), with a 48 hour stubble, plate R6 ---- no problems achieving another BBS result.
No irritation with any of my three Rockwell blade shaves. Again, very slightly inferior to my shaves
with the Gillette Nacet in this fine razor, but, all things considered, a very nice blade ! From what you
gents are reporting, it seems as if the "white package" blades are much better than the "black package,"
so buyer beware ! I would definitely rate this blade much better than many of the comments I've read,
and I would tend to disagree with a lot of you fine gents who seem to vilify this blade.

Shaved with one today in my Rockwell 6S and found it to be an OK shave. Thought there was a bit of a drag and more feedback than most blades, but I did get a nice, close shave; at least as close as I get with a Nacet, although a Nacet seems sharper and provides little feedback in the 6S.

After reading the comment on B&B, I was almost afraid to even try this blade. I don't think I'd buy more, but it doesn't seem to be a bad blade. I'm interested in what shaves 2 & 3 are like.

Shaved with one today in my Rockwell 6S and found it to be an OK shave. Thought there was a bit of a drag and more feedback than most blades, but I did get a nice, close shave; at least as close as I get with a Nacet, although a Nacet seems sharper and provides little feedback in the 6S.

After reading the comment on B&B, I was almost afraid to even try this blade. I don't think I'd buy more, but it doesn't seem to be a bad blade. I'm interested in what shaves 2 & 3 are like.

For me, shave 1 is the best, 2 is ok and 3 is rather rough. Update us on your findings!

I agree with the above post. Shave one was outstanding, but shave two was just average. I discarded the blade after the second use.

So this thread caused me to give in and try the blades sent with my 6S. I had decided that was no reason to try them as I already have a preferred blade that I've used to years and have hundreds of. After reading this I decided to try the Rockwell Blades (White Packaging). The shave wasn't bad, it felt similar to an Astra SP to me. Decent but not as good as my Perma-Sharps. I went back to a Perma-Sharp today but I'll hang onto the Rockwell Blades in case the apocalypse comes and I can't source blades.

So this thread caused me to give in and try the blades sent with my 6S. I had decided that was no reason to try them as I already have a preferred blade that I've used to years and have hundreds of. After reading this I decided to try the Rockwell Blades (White Packaging). The shave wasn't bad, it felt similar to an Astra SP to me. Decent but not as good as my Perma-Sharps. I went back to a Perma-Sharp today but I'll hang onto the Rockwell Blades in case the apocalypse comes and I can't source blades.

Please do a shave 2 with the white box blades and report back to us, since this is the main issue I have been hearing about with the performance on day 2 and day 3

I will give it a go myself tomorrow with my Rockwell 6c and the white box blade so we should have more feedback. I also already have "my favorite brands of blade" but since I got 100 of these for free with the razor may as well give it a try. I doubt I can sell them to anyone else so I "want" to like them.

I got a tuck of these with an order from Prohibition Style and they werent great. I really wanted to like them because I love the retro style packaging but for me they were pretty tuggy.

I only have the black box blades (I'm expecting to get the white box if my Model T ever gets produced). I've used it in a Gillette red tip and a Merkur 37c. First shaves in both were outstanding. Shaves in the red tip rapidly deteriorated (only one so far on the 37c). Not a fan of the black box blade in my 6c.

Did my first shave this morning with the white box blade.

It was smooth but not as sharp as my favorite brands. Would probably pair best with a very aggressive razor because the blade is not so sharp and it looks like it would be good for 2 to 3 total shaves per blade. Feels like Shark

On the same refinedshave website somebody stated in the comments that the new version of these blades that comes in a white box instead of the old black box may be a different blade altogether. If commenting please advise if you are referring to the black or the white version of the blade.

I just bought a Rockwell 6c (white Chrome version) about a week ago and it came with the new white box blades. I will be happy to make a review but it will take awhile because I am still using an India Wilkinson Sword blade and I am excalibur-clubbing it so may take 14 days for me to finally throw it out.

That was me requesting a review for the white box as the white box is all the blades I've got with my Rockwell razor buys and they didn't seem to be as bad as the impressions made out to be.

I see a lot of praise for the Rockwell team to listen to the customers and make changes to their razor. They did it to the razor design and even the knurling on the razor handle after getting customer feedback. Such razor changes would be pretty expensive.

They would have heard all the negative feedback about the blades and course corrected it with better blades once the old black box stock was gone ? These changes wouldn't be as expensive as changes in the razor design.

The Indian wilkies you are using are the blades for the mass market here in India and in the cheapest mass market bracket. Certainly the Rockwell's can make atleast an equal blade with the swiss steel in China !!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

That was me requesting a review for the white box as the white box is all the blades I've got with my Rockwell razor buys and they didn't seem to be as bad as the impressions made out to be.

I see a lot of praise for the Rockwell team to listen to the customers and make changes to their razor. They did it to the razor design and even the knurling on the razor handle after getting customer feedback. Such razor changes would be pretty expensive.

They would have heard all the negative feedback about the blades and course corrected it with better blades once the old black box stock was gone ? These changes wouldn't be as expensive as changes in the razor design.

The Indian wilkies you are using are the blades for the mass market here in India and in the cheapest mass market bracket. Certainly the Rockwell's can make atleast an equal blade with the swiss steel in China !!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

They would have been better off to just include the India Wilkies (They could have bought them for a very low price in bulk) because in my opinion the India wilkies are much, much, much better blades and last me 8 shaves or more

The India wilkinson sword blade that I used yesterday with 6 shaves already on it felt sharper and smoother on my face than a brand new Rockwell white-box

M

Member 113878

I recently bought a 100-pack of the white Rockwells.
The most interesting thing I found out so far is they perform very well in my Rockwell 6C razor, but not so well in the others I’ve tried so far. (Merkur 37C, EJ89)
With these, the shave was close but uncomfortable.
With the Rockwell, it’s like day and night, very smooth, but still quite close.
Tomorrow, I’ll be tring with a Gillette Tech.

Top Bottom