What's new

Rockwell Blades

M

Member 113878

This morning's shave was not less uncomfortable than with the 34C (above's 37C was a typo) and EJ89, but really not as smooth as with the Rockwell 6C (plate R4).
Tomorrow i'll be trying it in my Fatip Gentile Testina.

I recently bought a 100-pack of the white Rockwells.
The most interesting thing I found out so far is they perform very well in my Rockwell 6C razor, but not so well in the others I’ve tried so far. (Merkur 37C, EJ89)
With these, the shave was close but uncomfortable.
With the Rockwell, it’s like day and night, very smooth, but still quite close.
Tomorrow, I’ll be tring with a Gillette Tech.
So the team at Rockwell used a CAD software to precisely align the geometry of the head with a ideal blade and then have those specs to blade makers with Swedish steel ?

Sounds very similar to the efficiency of feather AS-D2 with a feather blade vs rest !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

M

Member 113878

You used the Tech today?
Yes.
So the team at Rockwell used a CAD software to precisely align the geometry of the head with a ideal blade and then have those specs to blade makers with Swedish steel ?
My theory for the moment is the thickness of the blade.
Just a theory of course.
I happen to have a caliper, so I'll compare the thickness with some other blades I have...
Will report later.

Yes.

My theory for the moment is the thickness of the blade.
Just a theory of course.
I happen to have a caliper, so I'll compare the thickness with some other blades I have...
Will report later.
Excellent ! A little science always helps better than the "YMMV"[emoji16]

I recently bought a 100-pack of the white Rockwells.
The most interesting thing I found out so far is they perform very well in my Rockwell 6C razor, but not so well in the others I’ve tried so far. (Merkur 37C, EJ89)
With these, the shave was close but uncomfortable.
With the Rockwell, it’s like day and night, very smooth, but still quite close.
Tomorrow, I’ll be tring with a Gillette Tech.
I find that to be the case with several blades I find rough in other razors. The Rockwell tames them down, its the only razor, so far, that I like a Feather in.

M

Member 113878

Maybe that’s what’s happening...
Anyway, I’ve measured them and here’s the result:
Rockwell: 0.11mm
Feather: 0.11mm
Derby Extra: 0.10mm
Gillette Plat. SB: 0.10mm
Shark: 0.10mm
Well, false path it seems.
Type of steel?
Blade cut?
Maybe the razor itself, like Scumpy said.

I used a Rockwell blade with my 6S and thought it was great. It didn’t seem particularly sharp at first, but I got five good shaves from it with no noticeable decline in shave quality. It’s not my favorite blade in that razor (so far that honor goes to Astra SPs), but it’s a solid, quality blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Member 113878

Used a Rockwell blade in my Fatip Testina Gentile this morning and had a great shave, FWIW.

It atleast just got one assumption out of the way ! These need to be included in a new thread and put in the wiki for reference. This is some good information. Kudos !
Maybe that’s what’s happening...
Anyway, I’ve measured them and here’s the result:
Rockwell: 0.11mm
Feather: 0.11mm
Derby Extra: 0.10mm
Gillette Plat. SB: 0.10mm
Shark: 0.10mm
Well, false path it seems.
Type of steel?
Blade cut?
Maybe the razor itself, like Scumpy said.

Wow, was just learning about the Rockwell razor tonight... it appears to be a cool system they’ve created. But reading about the blades not so much.
The 6C model seems right. 50 dollars is a sweet deal.

Is there any chance the white box blades are Rapira Swedish Super Steel? Or is the SSS a coincidence?

Is there any chance the white box blades are Rapira Swedish Super Steel? Or is the SSS a coincidence?

These are made in China, they say using Swedish steel. They go out of their way on the website to say the designed them ground up (if that’s possible) but my guess is they are a rebranded Chinese blade

I just used my first Rockwell blade, white box, that came with my recently acquired Rockwell 6c using plate 3. I'm new to DE razors & the only other blades I have ever used are Derby Extras & Astra SP's which are my favorite. Considering I was going to throw them away until I came across this thread they gave me a great 3 pass shave. If anyone has some white box Rockwell blades try them for yourself before you toss them.

Well, I’ve had two shaves with my Rockwell 6C using a Rockwell blade (white packaging). I’m relatively new to wet-shaving with DE blades, thus my relative inexperience may colour this report somewhat.
I use a 3-pass method (WTG/XTG/ATG) plus touch-ups. The first time I used the 5, 3, and 1 plate on successive passes and the #1 for touch-ups. I got a good (perhaps not great), comfortable shave. The second shave was not so great. With the #1 plate I couldn’t feel the blade at all. I had to switch to an R2 plate. It will be interesting to see if the blade performance continues to degrade. I’ll provide an update in the future.

Well like I said I had no issues & was rewarded with a great shave shave using the white box Rockwell blades. Will use it for a couple more shaves before I toss it. I have a whole bunch of 5 packs blades coming from Try a Blade so I will not be using any more Rockwell blades aqain for a long while. But like people say here all the time with blades YMMV.

Just updating my experience with the white box Rockwell blades. I have use 2 blades so far. I can get 2 great shaves out of them, but no more than that. Trying 2x to get a 3rd shave out of them I needed to bail out because they started tugging & scraping too much. I used plate 3 for the first blade & for the second blade I decided to try plate 5 which I have never used before.

I'm expecting 10 5 packs of new blades to arrive today & will probably not revisit these blades again. Although since I hate throwing stuff out I will eventually finish the rest of the Rockwell white box blades.

Top Bottom