What's new

Rockwell 6s vs Karve CB vs Razorock GC

Rockwell 6s vs Karve CB vs Razorock GC

• Total voters
My thoughts are if I buy a relatively cheap adjustable razor. IE Future clone or Rockwell 6c, I could find the gap I like. Then buy the Karve plate to match. It could get a little pricey if I start buying Karve plates without knowing what I want.
I believe that gap and blade exposure are equally important to a close safe shave. Karve publishes both gap and exposure for each of their plates. As their gaps increase so does the exposure. The Rockwell 6C may publish the gaps, but not the exposure. I believe as their gaps increase their blade exposures decrease.

If you were to get the Rockwell and use say a #5 or #6 plate thinking this larger gap is comparable to other razors of comparable gap, you will be shocked how positive exposure will increase the effectiveness. The Blackland Blackbird's gap is close to .68mm which sounds pretty tame. It has a good deal of positive exposure, but the mm is not published. I find the efficiency is much greater than Rockwell's #6 plate.

If it were me I would order the Karve C plate (gap .85mm & exposure +.09 mm). I think more razors have neutral to positive exposure as their gaps increase. I know Karve's E plate is gap 1.10mm & exposure .17mm, and your F plate has even more of both. Because they publish gaps & exposures you can learn more from them than any other manufacturer.

Thanks for all the feedback. For now, I'm going to stick with the F plate mostly because I'm trying to save money. As a side benefit, I do think that the F plate is helping me learn. My lather and shaving technique has improved to the point where I am getting far less irritation from the F plate. And it is helping me extend the life of my blades. When I do decide to get a new plate, it will most likely be the OC, C. I'm still not to the point where I fill comfortable shaving in the shower without a mirror. Hopefully, the C plate will help with that.

The 6S is the only razor I can shave every day, ATG above my lip, and under my jawline and get fantastic shaves.

With a Nacet, it pure magic I tell ya. I think it’s because there is no blade chatter or the way the bottom plate is angled. I’m not sure how they pulled it off but I haven’t found a DE that compares.

Thanks for all the feedback. For now, I'm going to stick with the F plate mostly because I'm trying to save money. As a side benefit, I do think that the F plate is helping me learn. My lather and shaving technique has improved to the point where I am getting far less irritation from the F plate. And it is helping me extend the life of my blades. When I do decide to get a new plate, it will most likely be the OC, C. I'm still not to the point where I fill comfortable shaving in the shower without a mirror. Hopefully, the C plate will help with that.
+1 I highly recommend the Oc C plate or Oc B plate.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I own the Rockwell 6S, Rockwell 6C, and the Game Changer .68 SB.
I use the GC about 85% of the time and prefer it over any of the other razors I own. Looking forward to buying the GC .68 OC next.

I really wanted to like my matte 6S, but it was just so ugly. It shaved fine but looked awful near any other razor with its dowdy finish and clunky design. It reminded me of Soviet design, effective but absolutely no thought given to aesthetics. I see they have some new finishes now but the baseplate still looks like an orthopedic shoe.

I really wanted to like my matte 6S, but it was just so ugly. It shaved fine but looked awful near any other razor with its dowdy finish and clunky design. It reminded me of Soviet design, effective but absolutely no thought given to aesthetics. I see they have some new finishes now but the baseplate still looks like an orthopedic shoe.

Yep, it is kinda ugly. That said, I get better shaves from it than my Wolfman WR2, or any other modern razor.

I put an after market handle on it, and I think that helped its overall looks a bit. The stock handle is pretty lame.

Yep, it is kinda ugly. That said, I get better shaves from it than my Wolfman WR2, or any other modern razor.

I put an after market handle on it, and I think that helped its overall looks a bit. The stock handle is pretty lame.

These experiences make me wonder why I should bother to plop down $400-$500 on a WR2 when the Karve A plate feels like the perfect match already.

These experiences make me wonder why I should bother to plop down $400-$500 on a WR2 when the Karve A plate feels like the perfect match already.
Everyone is different and some just like the variety of trying new things, but if it were me and the Karve A plate was that good, I probably would not be dropping big $$$ on a Wolfman or any other razor.

Personally I have not been using my other 2 razors much since I got dialed in to the C plate on my Karve.

My experience with buying high end razors is IJAR. It's just a razor. Don't go chasing some kind of mythical shave, you'll probably be disappointed. Buy it for the superb appearance and satisfaction of ownership. The funny/sad thing is people posting effusive praise about their new high priced razor, then quietly reselling it a year later. I'm guilty of this.

I really wanted to like my matte 6S, but it was just so ugly. It shaved fine but looked awful near any other razor with its dowdy finish and clunky design.
It even looks like an "ugly duckling" alongside its own zamac-and-chrome sibling, the Rockwell 6C, at half the price. If you asked some random people which of these two was the premium product, they'd pick the cheap one.:001_smile

I couldn't fault the quality of the shave I got, though, after I'd settled on the R4 or R5 plate. I've mostly been using the 6S since September 2019, longer than I thought.

The handle isn't pretty either, but the matte knurling is grippier than anything else I've tried, so I like that feature, and can see myself transplanting it onto a different head.

On the basis of this thread, I'm hoping to try the Razorock GC .68 SB (if I can even get the thing in the UK), but I don't expect another step change, so no hurry.

I really wanted to like my matte 6S, but it was just so ugly. It shaved fine but looked awful
Yep, it is kinda ugly. That said, I get better shaves from it than my Wolfman WR2
It even looks like an "ugly duckling" alongside its own zamac-and-chrome sibling
I believe it is possible to coat the 6s. I once looked into the possibility of getting mine cerakoted.

I had a Rockwell 6C and the CBB-SB. I kept the CBB and PIFd the 6C to a coworker for his first DE. As previously mentioned in the thread I found the 6C head too bulky.

I have the Rockwell 6S and I am so pleased with it, that I don’t see a need to try anything else. I use the R4 plate and a Feather or BIC blade. I didn’t vote since I’ve never tried the other two.

I did try to order the Game Changer, but they were out of stock for weeks on end, so I ordered the 6S instead. I’m thinking that may have been a blessing in disguise.

I have only used the Karve and 6s. Of the two the Karve is the clear winner for me. Its design gives it a great glide (SB and OC) and it's one of those razors that I just enjoy using. I suspect a combination of its weight, handle length and plate design make it very smooth for me on the ATG shave using any plate.

When I started with the Karve I used the C SB plate. I ordered a B OC plate and found that was too mild. I have since ordered a D and E OC plate and am using a D SB plate until they get here.

I believe it is possible to coat the 6s. I once looked into the possibility of getting mine cerakoted.
Rockwell are now offering the 6S with coloured finishes on their website: black, blue and red. I don't know what technology they are using to do that, or how robust it is.

I don't mind the "anti-bling" look of the original, but was amused by how it looked next to the 6C.

Top Bottom