What's new

Rockwell 6s vs 6c

If you have tried both, do you find any differences except for the weight? I know the material is different, so I'd like to know about the shave.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Have both. Feel like the weight is close if not the same. The shave on both is great. Highly recommended either one. Best value out there.

I have both. I would say pretty identical. Pretty top notch chrome on the C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted a detailed review/comparison awhile back here in the DE forum, but for some weird reason it got moved to the Rockwell razor club forum, aka Siberia. So I'll re-post it for you here:

After multiple delays the Rockwell 6C has finally been released for general sale. Short run prototypes have been in the hands of beta testers for a several months now, and you have may have seen it discussed on other forums or on YouTube. But because it was in pre-order it could not be mentioned here on B & B, so now that it is being offered for general sale we can finally get a look. For those of you who aren't familiar with the 6C, it's basically a chrome plated, cast zinc alloy (aka Zamac) version of the stainless 6S, made in China, and being offered at about half the price of the 6S. I received my "beta" version of the 6C back in December, so after some pretty extensive test driving, here are my impressions:

Fit and Finish

My short-run example is exceptional, with flawless plating and very good tolerances. The cap screw thread was a tiny bit rough at first, but has smoothed out nicely. Rockwell has obviously sourced a very good manufacturer indeed. I also recently received a full production run razor in the gunmetal finish, and it looks to be of the same high quality. I would mention that the “gunmetal” finish currently being offered doesn’t look much like gunmetal. It is of a hue that is only very slightly darker than the white chrome, confusing a number of folks into thinking they received the white chrome by mistake. That’s understandable, as the difference is almost imperceptible unless you put the two different colored razors side by side. Not a big deal, but be advised that if you’re looking at this finish option and expecting a true gunmetal color, you will be disappointed.

Comparison to the 6S

The obvious difference beyond the chrome finish is the weight: the 6C weighs (on my scale) 97 grams while the 6S comes in at 119 grams. This spread of more than 20% is obvious in the hand. I actually prefer the 6C on this count, as it seems better balanced to my hand. Also, the handle on the 6C is about 1mm less in diameter, a small difference, but noticeable. The handle knurling on the 6C seems a little deeper to me.

The 6C’s plate initially appeared to my eye to be a little thicker, and the cap a hair thinner, but apparently this is an illusion, as my caliper says they're the same. I've also read on a couple of other boards that the blade gap on the 6C seems greater than on the 6S, but my feeler gauge says otherwise. I've only measured the 1 and 3 plates, but both are within a couple of hundredths of a mm on each razor, not enough to be noticeable on the face. The blade exposure looks the same to me.

img_6100-jpg.798687

img_6105-jpg.798690

img_6103-jpg.798691

The Shave

In short, to my face the shave is virtually identical to the 6S. This makes sense, since I believe Rockwell’s goal for the 6C was to replicate the geometry and shave of the 6S, and I think they've nailed that. My preferred plates, the 3 and 4, shave just like the 6S for me, which is to say, very well.

Summary

Despite the delays in production and the minor issue with the gunmetal finish, I think Rockwell has a hit a home run with the 6C. The full set is $50, which I see as an excellent value for a razor of this quality and versatility. No word yet on whether there might eventually be an ala carte option to purchase individual plates and caps separately, but that would certainly make sense to me, allowing entry level purchasers to move up in aggression as they gain experience. Finish options currently are white chrome and gunmetal; a brushed chrome finish is in the works but not yet available.

Have fun.

I too found the razors to shave identically for any given base plate number. I also agree with those who say the chrome plating on the 6C is nicely done. The 6S is stainless of course, but I think the 6C is more attractive.

The 6c seems like a steal. I still have an issue that you have to buy the whole set. Hoping for an ala carte option.

The 6c seems like a steal. I still have an issue that you have to buy the whole set. Hoping for an ala carte option.

I thought the exact same thing when I bought mine. I very quickly settled into a certain plate and used that for a number of months, thinking the rest was just useless baggage. However, almost a year later I find for various reasons to use other plates. I'm now very glad I have them. On top of that, the price of the set is the same as a single razor for anything else in its class. I consider the Rockwell 6S and 6C the best values in modern razors.

The razor with just the 1 and 3 plate is available for $30. Saw it on the Maggard web site.
True, but that's still not the same as an "a la carte" version. What if I wanted just the 2/4 plate, for example?
I think it's great that they are offering the single head plate version, but it would be even better if they would let the buyer decide which plate that single plate should be, IMO.

True, but that's still not the same as an "a la carte" version. What if I wanted just the 2/4 plate, for example?
I think it's great that they are offering the single head plate version, but it would be even better if they would let the buyer decide which plate that single plate should be, IMO.

At least for now, if you want choice it will cost you $50 or $100. Of course there is ATT, and adjustables, also.

But I quite agree with you, it would be lovely if you could decide which plate. Maybe soon.

The razor with just the 1 and 3 plate is available for $30. Saw it on the Maggard web site.

I have the 2C which I got from the campaign.
I've used both the #1 and the #3 plates and can see no reason to spend the extra money on the others.
The #1 was so mild I felt like I hadn't shaved at all.
The #3 was about the same as the Slim I used right after the 2C when the Slim was set on #4.
I can't justify the the rest of the plates since the #3 was about my max comfort level of aggressiveness.
Before I tried it, I thought I should have bought the full 6C but now I realize that the extra plates would have just been paperweights.
YMMV

I like plates #4 and #3 on my 6c. #4 is more efficient, but either works just fine. #2 was quite (too?) mild and I never bothered to try #1 as I can't imagine it doing anything. Maybe I'll get adventurous and try 5 and 6 at some point.

One of the issues with Rockwell not selling top caps or 1-base plate razors (except for the 2C) is how it stifles swapping of base plates. We almost all end up liking one base plate, leaving the others as extras. But no one will buy one of our extra base plates without a top cap, because everyone already has a complete set, including lots of base plates they don't need. There must be a solution to this. Someone should be able to buy, on the open market, (say) a complete 5-6 base plate head that can be attached to any handle. Some people have no need for such an aggressive baseplate, and others don't want to buy a whole razor system to get a 5-6 base plate razor. What's the solution?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
One of the issues with Rockwell not selling top caps or 1-base plate razors (except for the 2C) is how it stifles swapping of base plates. We almost all end up liking one base plate, leaving the others as extras. But no one will buy one of our extra base plates without a top cap, because everyone already has a complete set, including lots of base plates they don't need. There must be a solution to this. Someone should be able to buy, on the open market, (say) a complete 5-6 base plate head that can be attached to any handle. Some people have no need for such an aggressive baseplate, and others don't want to buy a whole razor system to get a 5-6 base plate razor. What's the solution?
I believe that they now sell plates on their site. But seriously for $50 you get all of them. Can't see the reason to beef about this issue.

It's the unavailability of top cap sales that inhibits swapping. The base plates are readily available, because almost everyone who bought the whole system has 1-2 base plates they don't need. Plus as you point out, you can buy base plates directly from Rockwell.

But the top caps... That's the tricky bit. You can't create a new razor (or sell your unwanted base plate) without a top cap.

It's the unavailability of top cap sales that inhibits swapping. The base plates are readily available, because almost everyone who bought the whole system has 1-2 base plates they don't need. Plus as you point out, you can buy base plates directly from Rockwell.

But the top caps... That's the tricky bit. You can't create a new razor (or sell your unwanted base plate) without a top cap.
Charles, I really enjoy my 6s! I use it more often than any other razor I own. It just gives me the smoothest shaves, I feel safe when I use it. :)

By the way, I was informed that the 6s won't be available again at least until the end of the year.

I think @gvw755 Tried the baseplate with the cap and handle from a Muhle? and it fit.
I've got a 2.00 Muhle/E.J. Copy that I'm hoping will fit the 5/6 baseplate.

Top Bottom