What's new

Rockwell 6S Review

OK, I'm sick and it's cold and raining outside, so I'll pursue these issues. My theory is, and correct me if I'm wrong, with the Rockwell type of "adjustable" razor, the only thing really being adjusted is the gap between the blade edge and the base plate. I think the larger that gap gets, the less any additional incremental increases will make any difference. A larger gap lets you use a steeper angle, but too steep an angle and you're just cutting up your face and not getting a closer shave. Increasing blade exposure, which I don't believe the Rockwell design allows, could result in a big increase in efficiency, but there again, at some point you're just cutting up or irritating your face.

You may have a point(s). Maybe I should be asking for an optional buy in a narrower cap.

If brass were economical it would still be used. It's not, which is why Gillette eventually went to Zamak and plastic.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No, of course you're right it's not as cheap as zamak; but it costs less than stainless, while having durability that's more comparable to steel.

View attachment 859731 My first post ever here!
I sold my merkur 34C the other day and bought an 6c. I'm an student and can't justify multiple razors.
I was not satisfied with the blade alignment on the Merkur. The blade alignment on the 6c was almost flawless.

Eitherway, I'm concerned the 6c has really bad chrome plating and will quickly degrade in quality.
This is how it looked fresh out the box.
proxy.php

I already contacted the seller and asked for a refund, change, or upgrade to the 6s with me putting up the cash in between.
Is this common with the 6C? If so I should really go with the 6S and not change for another 6C.
Does the 6C chrome wear out quickly?
The chrome on my merkur did not even get close to this after a couple of months.

Your picture did not come through for me. There have been a couple reports on the 6 in general that indicate some QC issues slipping through the cracks very occasionally, but (assuming you bought from Rockwell or a reputable vendor) they are usually fixed for you hassle free.

You may have a point(s). Maybe I should be asking for an optional buy in a narrower cap.
I already have a steel razor with large positive blade exposure, the Fendrihan. It gives me a great shave, but once every few days, I have a sleepy or distracted moment, make a mistake and get a bad nick, even after using it for months. The Rockwell design is very similar to the 34C and DE89/R89 designs, which are smooth, comfortable and pretty much nick-proof even if you're careless or half-asleep. That's why I finally decided to buy it. It's good, time will tell how efficient it can be.

Your picture did not come through for me. There have been a couple reports on the 6 in general that indicate some QC issues slipping through the cracks very occasionally, but (assuming you bought from Rockwell or a reputable vendor) they are usually fixed for you hassle free.

Can you see the picture now?
I live in Sweden so I bought it from a Swedish vendor. Most likely they will accept the return from me. Still hesitant to get another 6c due to this issue. Which of the razors have best glide? I don’t want the chrome on my razor to fall apart after just a couple of uses.

I already have a steel razor with large positive blade exposure, the Fendrihan. It gives me a great shave, but once every few days, I have a sleepy or distracted moment, make a mistake and get a bad nick, even after using it for months. The Rockwell design is very similar to the 34C and DE89/R89 designs, which are smooth, comfortable and pretty much nick-proof even if you're careless or half-asleep. That's why I finally decided to buy it. It's good, time will tell how efficient it can be.

Exactly my experience with the 6s. Maybe there are other razors out there that are this "sleepy head proof" but I've not found it if there is, all while sacrificing nothing in efficiency. Flawless shaves are monotonously predictable.

I'm used to the 2011/Spitfire R41s, and the gift that the 2011s have given me (which bleeds over--to use an inapt word--to easier-going razors) is that of almost constant attention when I shave. But I relish the variety that I get with much milder feeling, but still very close-shaving, razors--which is exactly what even the older version Fatip is to me now. I figure it may be even truer of the Rockwell. It will be fun to see just how it is, and to see if shimming the #6 plate does anything (for me).

I live in Sweden so I bought it from a Swedish vendor. Most likely they will accept the return from me. Still hesitant to get another 6c due to this issue. Which of the razors have best glide? I don’t want the chrome on my razor to fall apart after just a couple of uses.

Yes that looks pretty shady, like moisture got into the package and it sat for a bit or something. Personally, I might ask for a replacement, just to make sure one last time before ditching it all together. I hope you get your issue resolved!

This is one reason I hate zamac razors, despite the fact that there are indeed some vintage zamacs still running strong - it doesn’t take much to mess one up and once the plating is gone, the fun is over.

View attachment 859731 My first post ever here!
I sold my merkur 34C the other day and bought an 6c. I'm an student and can't justify multiple razors.
I was not satisfied with the blade alignment on the Merkur. The blade alignment on the 6c was almost flawless.

Eitherway, I'm concerned the 6c has really bad chrome plating and will quickly degrade in quality.
This is how it looked fresh out the box.
proxy.php

I already contacted the seller and asked for a refund, change, or upgrade to the 6s with me putting up the cash in between.
Is this common with the 6C? If so I should really go with the 6S and not change for another 6C.
Does the 6C chrome wear out quickly?
The chrome on my merkur did not even get close to this after a couple of months.
That is very poor quality plating. Even on my $7 Razorock DE1 RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor – ItalianBarber
Chrome plating was impeccable.
I would recommend look for another razor.

That is very poor quality plating. Even on my $7 Razorock DE1 RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor – ItalianBarber
Chrome plating was impeccable.
I would recommend look for another razor.
Wow, Ukrainian, I could not agree more on both points. I've seen photos of other 6C razors where the plating looks fine, but it looks horrible on that one. That should be returned. My RazoRock Old Type with a chrome-plated zamak head, which I think was only $14 or $15, also has perfect plating.

Yes that looks pretty shady, like moisture got into the package and it sat for a bit or something. Personally, I might ask for a replacement, just to make sure one last time before ditching it all together. I hope you get your issue resolved!

This is one reason I hate zamac razors, despite the fact that there are indeed some vintage zamacs still running strong - it doesn’t take much to mess one up and once the plating is gone, the fun is over.

That is probably it. It looked like someone had been into the package before me. Messed up to sell used razors as new.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Just get a replacement.
Every product has a certain degree of QC issues so we should just accept this reality.

You'll be depriving yourself of one of the best razors on the market if you just get a refund and get a different razor.

Fact is, any zamac razor that is made accurately will stand the test of time. I have had razors many decades old with zero plating or threading issues.

I have the 6S for home and 2C for travel (I got the 2C as I use 6S-R3 at home but would recommend the 6C for anyone new to the Rockwell plate system).

Just get a replacement.
Every product has a certain degree of QC issues so we should just accept this reality.

You'll be depriving yourself of one of the best razors on the market if you just get a refund and get a different razor.

Fact is, any zamac razor that is made accurately will stand the test of time. I have had razors many decades old with zero plating or threading issues.

I have the 6S for home and 2C for travel (I got the 2C as I use 6S-R3 at home but would recommend the 6C for anyone new to the Rockwell plate system).
Don't you find the razor to be too heavy especially SS one, and head to be too bulky what makes it uncomfortable to shave under the nose ?

Great review! I’ve been reading up on the 6s for the last week or so trying to justify the cost. I like the idea of a heavier razor and am intrigued!

What is the discount you mentioned in the OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The discount I used was VDAY20, not sure how long it will be valid for...good luck
I have the 6S, 6C a 2C for travel and took advantage of the discount to get two gunmetal chrome finish 6C razors. One for keeping and for a gift. The new gunmetal finish is awesome too. I don't worry about the zamack too much. I've had a number of them since a decade. They're dried, cleansed and cared for after each use and they remain strong and sturdy as before.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Don't you find the razor to be too heavy especially SS one, and head to be too bulky what makes it uncomfortable to shave under the nose ?
As I mentioned in my review, I have the MJ-90, which is almost the same as the 6S but half the weight and only two blade gap settings. The light weight makes it a little easier to maneuver, but the heavier 6S seems a little easier to maintain a steady light touch. It really depends on how you shave. As for the bulky head, I seem to be able to do OK under my nose even with fairly bulky heads. However, nothing I've tried is quite as good for shaving under the nose as my thin cap Old Type. Anyone who has trouble in that area should try one. But be gentle with it, it is deceptively aggressive.

Even though the Rockwell (I have the 6C) has a bulky head, it is deceptively easy to get to tight spots like under the nose. For example, my Progress is not as bulky but it’s clumsier to maneuver under my nose than my 6C.

Top Bottom