What's new

Rockwell 6S Review

This razor has not yet been reviewed here, so I thought I'd be the first (just kidding).
1. The 6S arrived by standard shipping in four days. That's good enough for me, ymmv.
2. The 6S arrived in a nice presentation box covered in faux leather with a magnetized flip-top lid, similar to what you might find with a $500-$1,000 watch, but probably not as nice as you would find with a $10,000 watch. None of that is very important to me, ymmv.
3. The 6S is a solid steel razor and is rather heavy at 118 grams. As you all know, it comes with three reversible base plates, and so six possible settings. It has a satin finish, which makes no difference to me, ymmv.
4. Following Rockwell's recommendations for each setting on the included instruction card, I shaved with base plate setting no. 3, with a three-day old Feather blade, and Proraso white soap and aftershave balm.
5. At setting no. 3, my usual three-pass shave was very mild and comfortable, similar to that of the RazoRock MJ-90, which has a similar head design, with base plate "A". Very close, though maybe not quite the fearsome degree of BBS closeness I can easily get with more aggressive razors. Maybe even smoother than the MJ-90. Very impressive overall.
6. The 6S head has excellent fit and finish and alignment, similar to that of the CNC-machined aluminum head of the MJ-90. The big difference is, the MJ-90, with its aluminum head and titanium body, is less than half the weight of the 6S at 58.3 grams.
7. Over the next few weeks I'll try it with the more aggressive settings 4, 5, and 6 and other blades.
8. The 6S is obviously a winner, with its excellent build quality at the moderate $80 price (with the B&B discount), and six available settings. The only possible drawbacks I can see are: Some may prefer a lighter weight (a personal, subjective thing); Some may prefer a thinner head profile (only a minor factor at most for me); Some may find setting one not mild enough, or setting six not aggressive enough (unlikely, but still possible, I suppose).
9. Two thumbs up.

Will the 6S become part of your regular rotation?
Will it displace another razor?
Nice review; just put it on my bucket list! Thanks!
GJS

Will the 6S become part of your regular rotation?
Will it displace another razor?
Nice review; just put it on my bucket list! Thanks!
GJS
I'm not really a razor rotating guy, I like to stick with one all or most of the time and rotate soaps and aftershaves. So the question is, is this the one? It certainly could be, I'll have to keep going and see if there are any problems. I know it isn't a startling new revelation that it is good.

This razor has not yet been reviewed here, so I thought I'd be the first (just kidding).
1. The 6S arrived by standard shipping in four days. That's good enough for me, ymmv.
2. The 6S arrived in a nice presentation box covered in faux leather with a magnetized flip-top lid, similar to what you might find with a $500-$1,000 watch, but probably not as nice as you would find with a $10,000 watch. None of that is very important to me, ymmv.
3. The 6S is a solid steel razor and is rather heavy at 118 grams. As you all know, it comes with three reversible base plates, and so six possible settings. It has a satin finish, which makes no difference to me, ymmv.
4. Following Rockwell's recommendations for each setting on the included instruction card, I shaved with base plate setting no. 3, with a three-day old Feather blade, and Proraso white soap and aftershave balm.
5. At setting no. 3, my usual three-pass shave was very mild and comfortable, similar to that of the RazoRock MJ-90, which has a similar head design, with base plate "A". Very close, though maybe not quite the fearsome degree of BBS closeness I can easily get with more aggressive razors. Maybe even smoother than the MJ-90. Very impressive overall.
6. The 6S head has excellent fit and finish and alignment, similar to that of the CNC-machined aluminum head of the MJ-90. The big difference is, the MJ-90, with its aluminum head and titanium body, is less than half the weight of the 6S at 58.3 grams.
7. Over the next few weeks I'll try it with the more aggressive settings 4, 5, and 6 and other blades.
8. The 6S is obviously a winner, with its excellent build quality at the moderate $80 price (with the B&B discount), and six available settings. The only possible drawbacks I can see are: Some may prefer a lighter weight (a personal, subjective thing); Some may prefer a thinner head profile (only a minor factor at most for me); Some may find setting one not mild enough, or setting six not aggressive enough (unlikely, but still possible, I suppose).
9. Two thumbs up.
Too heavy in my opinion.
It might sound like heresy, but there's always the 6C at half the price. Pretty nice quality, for chrome over Zamak.

I don't think it sounds like heresy, and reports here seem to very much agree about the quality of the 6c. Me and my arthritis are still dithering about which one to try.
FWIW, I'm learning there are advantages and drawbacks for both light and heavy razors. I don't have the 6C and so can't comment on how it differs from the 6S, but in general, I've found lighter is better for milder razors and heavy is better for more aggressive ones. But that's just me, of course.

FWIW, I'm learning there are advantages and drawbacks for both light and heavy razors. I don't have the 6C and so can't comment on how it differs from the 6S, but in general, I've found lighter is better for milder razors and heavy is better for more aggressive ones. But that's just me, of course.
6C is about 20g lighter and probably heavy enough for most.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
In my opinion, perfect razor weight is around 2.5 oz (~75 grams), heavier more difficult to balance.

Yeah, the 6C is a prettier razor too. Cheaper, but not stainless. Trade offs. All things considered, I find it hard to choose between the 6S and 6C. Excellent razors no doubt.
I'm exceedingly pleased with the 6C. Particularly now that I see threads dedicated to how to avoid staining on the "stainless' 6S. Perfect weight for me and since I don't make a habit of bouncing my razors Zamak is perfectly acceptable.

In my opinion, perfect razor weight is around 2.5 oz (~75 grams), heavier more difficult to balance.
Because the Rockwell head is fairly bulky the 6C is pretty well balanced. I agree with your point, a lot of folks use razors that are ridiculously handle heavy.

Top Bottom