What's new

Rockwell 6S Review

I'm exceedingly pleased with the 6C. Particularly now that I see threads dedicated to how to avoid staining on the "stainless' 6S. Perfect weight for me and since I don't make a habit of bouncing my razors Zamak is perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I have razors with zamak heads and they are perfectly OK. Lots of discussion here about how they may only last 3-5 years or whatever, but the price is right and they can be replaced, so I don't see a serious issue. I didn't mean to imply in my review that steel was a must. However, I bet many here are waiting for the all-titanium 6T. ;-)

I have razors with zamak heads and they are perfectly OK. Lots of discussion here about how they may only last 3-5 years or whatever,)

Which is ridiculous. I have a whole bunch of German and American Zamak razors from the 30s-50s that are doing fine. People will say a lot of things to justify spending money.

Which is ridiculous. I have a whole bunch of German and American Zamak razors from the 30s-50s that are doing fine. People will say a lot of things to justify spending money.

Also, here's an idea: How about thoroughly drying off your razor after each and every use? Haven't you guys ever owned a bicycle? What happens if you store it outside in all weather? Now, I admit that with heavy use the threads of a zamak DE razor cap will gradually wear down over time, and the chrome plating, which is very hard and durable, nevertheless will eventually wear off. But so what? I like the weight and balance of the 6S, I like the lightness of the MJ-90, but the metals used aren't the main issue. I don't think there is an ideal metal or an ideal weight for all razor designs, at least not for me, ymmv.

Regarding the weight of the 6s, I have no problem with the stock handle. For the past week I've been using a Weber Bulldog on my R3 head and it also feels great. But I'm also tempted to test drive it using my FaTip Schone handle just to see if there's any discernible difference in handling characteristics. Handles are easily interchanged for differing results but that Rockwell designed head is what makes that razor so perfect for me.

Because the Rockwell head is fairly bulky the 6C is pretty well balanced. I agree with your point, a lot of folks use razors that are ridiculously handle heavy.

Bulkiness is disadvantage in my opinion, as it will make buffing under the nose very uncomfortable. That is why I prefer slim head razors.

Last edited:
Per my comment above IF a Zamak razor is well constructed and finished it won't wear out in your lifetime unless it's dropped or otherwise abused. Now some Merkur razors through history, for example, have failed prematurely, but that's a reflection on QC not materials. Some Futurs have fallen apart..my 70s Progress is in great shape.

Broke the zamak head on my EJ de89 after a few years use. A few years normal use every day. Great razors. However, I prefer something that’ll age with me. I don’t like the idea of just chucking away and buying again, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for the 6S before the 6C was even out, but for me special appeal was buying something of quality and material that was built to last and as well as being a pleasure to use, could one day be passed on (even if only for sentimental reasons and it isn't used).

The idea of leaving something personal appealed and there's not much around these days that men need/use that is built to last and doesn't cost a small fortune (Other suggestions welcome!).

I was initially drawn to the Feather for similar reasons, but wasn't sure whether it'd be too mild and with the extra cost as well, went for the 6S in the end.

Thanks for the review.
Bought the 6S as well using the coupon provided on B&B. Still haven’t received it.
Eagerly waiting to try it based on all the reviews seen here.

Broke the zamak head on my EJ de89 after a few years use. A few years normal use every day. Great razors. However, I prefer something that’ll age with me. I don’t like the idea of just chucking away and buying again, but that’s just me.

Contact EJ and they will send you a free head replacement.

Love the razor, hate the blades. I like a heavy razor. I do not find it bulky to shave under my "substantial" (as my wife call it) nose.

Contact EJ and they will send you a free head replacement.
Well, all that tends to support my view that zamak may not last forever, but that isn't very important as it is easy and cheaply replaced. I do tend to drop stuff and bang it up, and I hope the steel version will stand up reasonably well.

I don't think it sounds like heresy, and reports here seem to very much agree about the quality of the 6c. Me and my arthritis are still dithering about which one to try.
I own the 6C, and yes the plating quality is indeed quite good on my example, especially in light of it being produced in China!

I also own an EJ DE89, which is constantly lauded as having very high-quality plating, yet my 6C doesn't seem too dissimilar at all.

But it is made of Zamak, which is quite different than Fatip's brass or the 6S's stainless, and it's particularly noticeable with a slight imprecision when threading on or removing the handle. But that would not stop me from recommending it, especially it at it's current reasonable price! And let's face it, EJ & Merkur are both Zamak, so this is par (and fine) for the price point.

Also, here's an idea: How about thoroughly drying off your razor after each and every use? Haven't you guys ever owned a bicycle? What happens if you store it outside in all weather? Now, I admit that with heavy use the threads of a zamak DE razor cap will gradually wear down over time, and the chrome plating, which is very hard and durable, nevertheless will eventually wear off. But so what? I like the weight and balance of the 6S, I like the lightness of the MJ-90, but the metals used aren't the main issue. I don't think there is an ideal metal or an ideal weight for all razor designs, at least not for me, ymmv.

Good points. Here's a suggestion for Rockwell: how about a brass version (durable, economical) that goes from 3 to 8? That would make everybody happy. (Or at least me.)

Per my comment above IF a Zamak razor is well constructed and finished it won't wear out in your lifetime unless it's dropped or otherwise abused. Now some Merkur razors through history, for example, have failed prematurely, but that's a reflection on QC not materials. Some Futurs have fallen apart..my 70s Progress is in great shape.

That seems to be true. Credit Merkur with good customer service, if not QC; Rockwell, from what I've read, seems to have both.

From Rockwell site:
R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

Estimate:
R7: 0.035" (0.88 mm)
R8: 0.040" (1.27 mm)

That R8 would be way too much blade gap if they kept jumping up. I I wouldn't mind an R7 though.

Last edited:
Good points. Here's a suggestion for Rockwell: how about a brass version (durable, economical) that goes from 3 to 8? That would make everybody happy. (Or at least me.)
OK, I'm sick and it's cold and raining outside, so I'll pursue these issues. My theory is, and correct me if I'm wrong, with the Rockwell type of "adjustable" razor, the only thing really being adjusted is the gap between the blade edge and the base plate. I think the larger that gap gets, the less any additional incremental increases will make any difference. A larger gap lets you use a steeper angle, but too steep an angle and you're just cutting up your face and not getting a closer shave. Increasing blade exposure, which I don't believe the Rockwell design allows, could result in a big increase in efficiency, but there again, at some point you're just cutting up or irritating your face.

That seems to be true. Credit Merkur with good customer service, if not QC; Rockwell, from what I've read, seems to have both.
If brass were economical it would still be used. It's not, which is why Gillette eventually went to Zamak and plastic.

6ckrom1.jpg
My first post ever here!
I sold my merkur 34C the other day and bought an 6c. I'm an student and can't justify multiple razors.
I was not satisfied with the blade alignment on the Merkur. The blade alignment on the 6c was almost flawless.

Eitherway, I'm concerned the 6c has really bad chrome plating and will quickly degrade in quality.
This is how it looked fresh out the box.
proxy.php

I already contacted the seller and asked for a refund, change, or upgrade to the 6s with me putting up the cash in between.
Is this common with the 6C? If so I should really go with the 6S and not change for another 6C.
Does the 6C chrome wear out quickly?
The chrome on my merkur did not even get close to this after a couple of months.

Top Bottom