What's new

RIP B&M Classic, now what?

So now that Barrister and Mann's Classic and PAA Sun Down are both discontinued, where does one go for a Sun Up homage aftershave? Those were the only two that I was aware of, and I've got about half a bottle of Classic (which I like better) and one and a half of Sun Down.

For me, there is just something so quintessentially clean smelling about this scent, and particularly the B&M version and it is the perfect way to start the day when I'm in just that sort of mood.

Shame they're both discontinued. The B&M set was a delight to use. Not sure why both would discontinue their respective lines, but that is a shame. Perhaps Stirling or someone will come out with a version.

So now that Barrister and Mann's Classic and PAA Sun Down are both discontinued, where does one go for a Sun Up homage aftershave? Those were the only two that I was aware of, and I've got about half a bottle of Classic (which I like better) and one and a half of Sun Down.

For me, there is just something so quintessentially clean smelling about this scent, and particularly the B&M version and it is the perfect way to start the day when I'm in just that sort of mood.
I just checked and State Street Barbers has it in stock.

I did a search a while back trying to find the scent of classic Gillette Foam. Which led me to TOBS Mr Taylor's Shaving Cream. I bought it and it does seem reminiscent of the scent. Supposedly Gillette's Sun Up smelled like Gillette Foam. So TOBS MTSC might fill the gap for you. IMHO, Mr Taylor's Shaving Cream smells like a true classic barbershop scent.

Edit: Oops, you meant aftershave.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Although I've never seen anyone mention it on either Basenotes or on Fragrantica, I have a feeling that Sun Up was inspired by Floris' No. 89. While they certainly aren't identical, there are some quite obvious similarities between the two, with the 89 being a more polished, rounded version of the two. Even the advertisements for Sun Up suggest a link, as they appeal to the 25-35 year old man who might drive an MG and like James Bond books and films. The same target audience as Floris sought for No. 89, which in the early 60s was still a relatively new and "young" fragrance in their catalogue.

Owen Bawn

I did a search a while back trying to find the scent of classic Gillette Foam. Which led me to TOBS Mr Taylor's Shaving Cream. I bought it and it does seem reminiscent of the scent. Supposedly Gillette's Sun Up smelled like Gillette Foam. So TOBS MTSC might fill the gap for you. IMHO, Mr Taylor's Shaving Cream smells like a true classic barbershop scent.

TOBS make a Mr Taylor's aftershave, balm, and cologne. Truefitt and Hill's Grafton is a similar fragrance.

Owen Bawn

"...Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in..."

Monitoring.
Neither Mr Taylor's, Grafton, nor Floris No. 89 are dead ringers for Sun Up. No. 89 is the most similar, though not at all a perfect match. But they all share that soapy, shaving cream quality with Sun Up. They also cost more.

Whether it smells like anything else, or not, I really enjoy the scent and performance of Mr. Taylor's. It's a favorite.

I don’t have the experience with B&M’s Classic scent, but I’m wondering how similar it may be to their Seville scent? Does anyone have experience with both of these?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I have around 200 bottles of aftershave vintage and modern. Of those, I have only ever purchased two artisan aftershaves, Captains Choice Bay Rum back in 2013 or ‘14 and B&M’s Classic just a few months back.

I have to say B&M did an outstanding job replicating Gillette’s Sun Up it’s good stuff. It was nice thinking that if my back stock of two bottles of vintage Sun Up ran out, I could just decant B&M’s Classic into an empty Sun Up and keep moving along.

I kinda had a feeling that there wouldn’t be enough of us vintage fellas who appreciate the nostalgia and scent of Sun Up in order for it to be profitable for B&M to keep it Classic stocked in their inventory.

Because of my aftershave collection and large, seasonal rotations, it took me 6 years to get to the bottom of the one Captains Choice Bay Rum bottle I owned. And I enjoyed every drop. :)

I will do the same with B&M’s Classic. Between it and the two Gillette Sun Up’s I have left, that’s 18 more years of rotation with a bunch of other modern and vintage AS’s.

I’m not a spring chicken anymore. :)

I have around 200 bottles of aftershave vintage and modern. Of those, I have only ever purchased two artisan aftershaves, Captains Choice Bay Rum back in 2013 or ‘14 and B&M’s Classic just a few months back.

I have to say B&M did an outstanding job replicating Gillette’s Sun Up it’s good stuff. It was nice thinking that if my back stock of two bottles of vintage Sun Up ran out, I could just decant B&M’s Classic into an empty Sun Up and keep moving along.

I kinda had a feeling that there wouldn’t be enough of us vintage fellas who appreciate the nostalgia and scent of Sun Up in order for it to be profitable for B&M to keep it Classic stocked in their inventory.

Because of my aftershave collection and large, seasonal rotations, it took me 6 years to get to the bottom of the one Captains Choice Bay Rum bottle I owned. And I enjoyed every drop. :)

I will do the same with B&M’s Classic. Between it and the two Gillette Sun Up’s I have left, that’s 18 more years of rotation with a bunch of other modern and vintage AS’s.

I’m not a spring chicken anymore. :)
It’s great stuff. I have one of the original and one of B&M’s homage.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It’s great stuff. I have one of the original and one of B&M’s homage.

B&M’s isn’t an exact clone, but it is very close and I mean close enough to not care except for the most discerning.

B&M’s longevity of scent is better so there’s that. :)

UGH.... I was so happy with B&M Classic and all along thinking the same as OkieStubble... can get some more when the well runs dry. So much for that. I'll go be sad now.

So, the essence of sunup = the spiciness of Old Spice + the mint notes of Skin Bracer. all wrapped up in a sandalwoody fougere.

I have owned Sun Down, B&M Classic, and real Sun Up.

I've been working on recreating Sun Up for just this situation.

When a perfumer creates two similar items, there will be crossover. Case in point; B&M Spice has a lot of crossover with B&M Classic.

Take B&M Spice mix it 50/50 with Skin Bracer. Bonus if you use Italian Skin Bracer or Extro Camelot. You will get VERY close to real Sun Up and B&M Classic.

Even the color comes out similar to Sun Up.

proxy.php

Top Bottom