What's new

RiMei A2001 Razor - Review 2018

Several discussions and great reviews were done on the Rimei A2001/A2003 razor, which I read with interest.

I am using an Edwin Jagger DE89 as my daily driver, after a very disappointing experience with Rockwell 2C/6C (they sent me unreasonably flaw products repeatedly, even for their replacement). I am very satisfied with the DE89, but am looking for a cheap backup/emergency/travel razor.

I saw the China-made RiMei A2001 in a DIY store the other day, selling for SGD 2.50 (approx US$ 1.82 today). After reading through past B&B threads, I thought, heck, just buy and try it.

The packaging - front and back

proxy.php

proxy.php

Together with the blister pack is a Rimei stainless steel razor blade.

... to be continued in post #2 ...

... continuing from post #1 ...

The RiMei A2001 is a Gillette Tech-like 3-piece razor. The chrome plating is ok, with some rough spots here and there, though we cannot expect the same fine level of plating from tools such as the EJ DE89.

proxy.php

I find the top cap screw post a little short, and you just need to turn two or three rounds to fasten it to the base plate; a new user may wonder if the screw is secured during shaving for fear of it turning loose. But I did not encounter this anticipated problem during my test shave.

proxy.php

The underside of the top cap and base plate (above). There are two flawed spots on the underside of my top caps - minor scratch and chip which expose the alloy underneath. That did not impact the shave though.

... to be continued in post #3 ...

Last edited:
... continuing from post #2 ...

I did a test shave on the RiMei A2001 today. I did not use the enclosed blade, but loaded a Gillette 7 O'Clock Green SS (6th use) instead. I noted that the blade protrudes from the side of the top cap by about 2mm from each side. So need to be careful when shaving near my ears.

The blade angle when loaded is much more horizontal than when used with my DE89. The blade gap is also considerably large. To shave more confidently and comfortably, the blade angle might need to be made between 20 - 25 degrees to the (my) skin, instead of my usual 30+ degrees with the EJ DE89.

The razor is light. So care must be taken to use almost no force when shaving. I find this razor more aggressive than the EJ DE89 by at least 2 stops. I could hear the auditory feedback when the blade glided across my skin, already fully lubricated by the LEA Professional shaving cream lather.

Despite being very careful and watching the different blade angle required, I got myself 3 weepers at usually ok spots at my chin. Shaving against the grain below chin/at neck level also produced slight irritation.

The RiMei A2001 seemed to produce a closer shave than the EJ DE89, all else equal. But the weepers and slight discomfort would make me think twice of using it regularly. Perhaps I am not yet familiar with this razor and its behaviour; I might attempt another test with it few weeks later and post an update after that.

But it is back to my trusty EJ DE89 tomorrow.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Spend the extra $6 and get a Baili BD176 (RR DE1). It is a significantly better interpretation of the Gillette Tech and you don't have to worry about slicing and dicing your face in the process.

Very nice review.

Thank you! Just wrote my maiden review to share with the community ...

Spend the extra $6 and get a Baili BD176 (RR DE1). It is a significantly better interpretation of the Gillette Tech and you don't have to worry about slicing and dicing your face in the process.

Yes I also considered BT131, BD176 (I read several good reviews on them) and others prior to the Rimei buy. Will certainly keep those in view. For now is back to EJ DE89 and improving my techniques.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great review, you can always use the razor as a travel razor so that if you lose it, it won't matter. I think that if you used it a few times you would get to more about the razor and best angles to use etc. Keep up the good work.

Great review, you can always use the razor as a travel razor so that if you lose it, it won't matter. I think that if you used it a few times you would get to more about the razor and best angles to use etc. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I am keeping this razor as an emergency/travel razor. Will revisit it sometime again.

Thanks for posting this review. I particularly liked the pics. My hats off to you for giving this razor a go.

Exactly 5 months ago, I first used the Rimei A2001 DE razor and shared my first impression of it.

Today, I made my long overdue second shave with this razor and share my findings here.

Surprisingly, the RM A2001 feels more harsh than before, despite my keeping the same setup for ease of comparison. It does seems to shave a little closer than my EJ DE89, but the harshness and blade feel was apparent.

I got a small nick over a pimple, which closed off quickly. I thought all was well, until I rinsed off and discovered 2 small cuts which surfaced later. Part of my chin also feels raw now.

As I noted before, the blade angle when loaded is much more horizontal than when used with my DE89; the blade gap is also considerably large. So to shave more confidently, a more shallow angle is preferred.

I took extra care in this regard. But my shave today is still not so good. Maybe my technique needs further improvement. Or this razor does not like me that much?

As usual, it is back to my EJ DE89 tomorrow. :)

Nice review.! The Baili DE 1 is an excellent razor & somewhat aggressive as well. The blade is spot on in this razor.

Thank you! Yes, I have heard good comments on the Baili DE 1; will keep that in mind.

I'll take the Rimei A2001 out again for a spin some months later. :)

I gave this razor a try yesterday.

IMG_20220322_200112.jpg

I found it to be on the milder side, which I do not like in general, but this razor was quite effective in the end.

So far I have three Chinese Tech clones, which I order from mild to aggressive as follows:

Baili BD176 < RIMEI A2001/A2003 << Baili BT131/BD171

The Baili BT131 keeps the blade so horizontal that it feels more like a shavette, the safety bar is just there to tame any overly excessive aggressiveness. It is great for fast one/two-pass shaves and when you want to destroy one-week stubble or so.

The RIMEI A2001/A2003 hits a sweet-point between mildness and aggression, but some extra effort is needed for the tough spots.

The Baili BD176 is just way too mild for my liking, but nevertheless still quite good for a shave.

Top Bottom