What's new

Rhodium versus polished Stainless Steel?

I am looking at something like this for a Rhodium option versus the Rhodium Gillette's on eBay.
Envoy Safety Razor — Rex Supply - https://www.rexsupplyco.com/shop-online/p/envoy-safety-razor

For a really 'blingy' razor, I have debated sending one of my current options off to a replating service but, those seem to be very hard to find these days and the few I found were several hundred dollars. This makes something like the Rex Envoy in Rhodium seem like a bargain in comparison. Something like a solid well known EJ89/DE89 shave experience would be a nice 'middle of the road' everyday shaver for carefree autopilot shaves for myself on vacation or midweek without any special shave needs. This brings up what other "factory" Rhodium razor options are out there I have missed that are not >$500USD.

The next part of the question is what this has over a polished stainless razor in terms of bling and durability. My Yaqi Excalibur is a near-daily driver for me. It is very smooth and somewhat shiny.

A British Rhodium Aristocrat would be nice but, one in really good condition (not a collector with accessories) is simply too much these days when found on eBay and similar places IMHO as I am looking for a 'user' razor and not a display piece under a bankers light in some collection in a museum!

TIA,
Sid

Radium is as I understand it a three step plating process.

First Nickle, then Gold, last Rodium.

Very shiny, but will still scratch.

I personally do not like the feel of the Rexes, they are IMHO too much much like 60 Git Sandpaper.

Stainless can be Re Polished pretty easy.

lasta

Blade Biter
Rhodium is harder than steel. But (IMO) for razor applications, I don't see the need for it.

Plus, the Rex razors aren't polished. For that price, it better be shiny!

@sidpost
You might want to rethink the whole Rhodium/bling thing as pretty much all razor platers have moved away from Rhodium/Palladium/Platinum because the raw materials are so expensive today and the finishes aren't much better than a standard or Mirrored Nickel plating.

You may want to send in your Yaqi Excaliber to have it done in a Mirrored Nickel as it would require less maintenance than just a standard mirrored finish on the stainless razor that would need polishing pretty frequently. I'd also suggest going to a different vendor than RE to have this done as his reputation has taken quite a hit over the past 5+yrs and his work has as well. I'd suggest Backroads Gold or Razorplate as the best options and more than likely it will be cheaper and more quality work anyway... Take a look at their sites and even a few threads here on the forum and you will see plenty of satisfied users that have posted their experiences...

@sidpost
You might want to rethink the whole Rhodium/bling thing as pretty much all razor platers have moved away from Rhodium/Palladium/Platinum because the raw materials are so expensive today and the finishes aren't much better than a standard or Mirrored Nickel plating.

You may want to send in your Yaqi Excaliber to have it done in a Mirrored Nickel as it would require less maintenance than just a standard mirrored finish on the stainless razor that would need polishing pretty frequently. I'd also suggest going to a different vendor than RE to have this done as his reputation has taken quite a hit over the past 5+yrs and his work has as well. I'd suggest Backroads Gold or Razorplate as the best options and more than likely it will be cheaper and more quality work anyway... Take a look at their sites and even a few threads here on the forum and you will see plenty of satisfied users that have posted their experiences...

+1! Great advice! Backroads and Razorplate have excellent reputations. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Razorplate
No service offered for chrome-plated, single edge (SE) razors, such as GEM, Ever-Ready, etc. These razors require far too much labor and consume large amounts of plating materials.

I assume this applies only to the large format blade options and not the AC format but, that is TBD.

How about this idea? A Yaqi "Final Cut" in solid brass. Those are currently about $120 on Aliexpress. But there is a sale coming up on the 1st that should knock some off that price.

And anyone should be able to do a mirror nickel finish on a raw brass razor.

1698616348141.png

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
How about this idea? A Yaqi "Final Cut" in solid brass. Those are currently about $120 on Aliexpress. But there is a sale coming up on the 1st that should knock some off that price.

And anyone should be able to do a mirror nickel finish on a raw brass razor.

View attachment 1740396
Good to see you my friend! I hope all is well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, things are well. Moved out of Columbus and back home to be closer to family. And I've rediscovered my enthusiasm for this hobby.
Good for us! And you, lol.

I'm growing out a little winter insulation on my incredibly handsome face, so not much to post about but ingrown hairs from the scruffy curls that I suppose I can only blame on the Irish blood of me Da!

A British Rhodium Aristocrat would be nice but, one in really good condition (not a collector with accessories) is simply too much these days when found on eBay and similar places IMHO as I am looking for a 'user' razor and not a display piece under a bankers light in some collection in a museum!
I was looking for a great daily driver, and recently acquired one of these in like new condition with the case and all. I was kind of bummed the seller seemed disappointed that I was going to actually use it.

I've had three razors replated in 24k gold via Razor Emporium and they all turned out breathtaking.

I did buy one of their Gillette Slim Adjustables that was replated in rhodium. The razor is super shiny compared to nickel or stainless finishes. Rhodium is also harder than nickel or gold plating.

The link to this video might give you more insight on plating material differences.

I've had three razors replated in 24k gold via Razor Emporium and they all turned out breathtaking.
I have had their Rhodium Rex Ambassador and a Rhodium Revamp Rockwell 6S both now sold on.
On the Ambassador the original rhodium finish was fine I just found the razor was too heavy or aggressive for my taste (it's expensive to buy a stainless one first to try) but it did seem to get the normal micro scratches etc from use that a chrome razor would. I shouldn't have bought another Gibbs design as I had already owned and resold the Pearl Flexi.
On the Rockwell 6S the RE plating wasn't as good as I had hoped especially as they were supplying a brand new razor. There were a few noticeable darker patches and the knurling had lost it's grip as I guess Rockwell never designed it to be plated.
The only other razor I have owned in rhodium is the Gillette President and that's probably the nicest of the three but I have been selling down my vintage collection as I am afraid to use them out of concern for reducing the condition!
Overall I have settled on stainless steel razors as the best material preferably 316 marine grade that should last me a long time

I have had their Rhodium Rex Ambassador and a Rhodium Revamp Rockwell 6S both now sold on.
On the Ambassador the original rhodium finish was fine I just found the razor was too heavy or aggressive for my taste.
I never would have thought of an adjustable as being aggressive. Learn something new every day.

Top Bottom