What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

This morning the Mighty DOC Evo was back in action, with a day-old Astra (pilfered from yesterday's CGL3 shave-off as reported in another thread). This was a rematch against John's (@Tanuki) Wunderbar running a new Dorco 301. Unfortunately the result was the same.

I was in a huge rush. It was one of those mornings when I had five minutes to shower and that included time to shave. So I ran the razors through three quick passes and made no effort to touch up anything less than perfect. The difference was that on the PAA side, I got the necessary feedback to know how I was doing every step of the way. On the Wunderbar side, there was no feedback (even with the Dorco blade) and I shaved on faith alone. Faith that the blade was cutting something.

When I emerged from the shower, both sides were roughly the same. A decent but not great shave on both sides but since yesterday's run of the Ikon Tech against the CGL3 had been down to the nub, I knew it would be good enough.

As I feel my face now there's some stubble on and under my chin and at the transition to my neck. A bit on my jawline too. Both sides are equally good (or bad). Most of what was there when I entered the shower is clearly gone. A solid result considering how little effort I made. The only real difference is the experience of getting there.

The Wunderbar is an automatic, not unlike cartridge razors in that sense. You go through the motions without paying attention to what you're doing. No worries about getting cuts or razor burn. It takes down the whiskers. Probably very much what some guys are looking for but not me. With two shaves in and no interest in a third, it's time to send it home.

Thanks so much John. Even though the razor's not for me, I so appreciate your giving me the chance to find out!

M

Member 113878

Thanks, I have tightened it extremely tight. I got a lot of the bakelite out of the threads but its too thick at the bottom. My new cap will be here monday.
So, did the new cap was the solution?
I’m thinking about getting a slant...
Thanks!

M

Member 113878

Oh, thanks! :)
Which one do you prefer?
I’m tempted by the ecliptic.
Seems smoother and the angle is already provided by the head.

Oh, thanks! :)
Which one do you prefer?
I’m tempted by the ecliptic.
Seems smoother and the angle is already provided by the head.

I need to replace the Alpha Ecliptic since I have mine to my son in law.

My experience is that they both offer enough of a difference in experience to more than justify owning both. However, you might start with the AE since the blade does not need to be twisted .

Please do let us know how he responds. Like I said, I've had my issues with RE too. To Matt's credit, he did what he needed to to make it right. More than I can say for the other "reputable" plater I've used. Replating can be hit or miss.

I totally get the vintage thing, been there done it. There are just too many pitfalls to navigate to get an acceptable outcome if you decide to preserve any. However you define acceptable. I migrated over to moderns and only pull out my Gillette's for special occasions. Life is less stressful this way.

With any luck, another razor will be heading to you from the US with no expectation of a return of the damaged one. Should that happen, you are officially challenged to PIF the bum forward. That way, the net effect of the whole fiasco is a positive to the community. At least in my warped world.

Well, I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the handling of the repair of my Re-Vamped Rhodium plated Gillette Red Tip by Matt and co at RE.

After taking onboard all your comments of advice, I returned the Razor to them on 16/02/2019 after sending photo's to them illustrating the problem, Matt requested the razor be returned to him.
I received the razor back yesterday and have to say that I am actually delighted with the result, it is plated as I would expect with no faulty areas, the doors close as they should and it does still give an awesome shave!!

When it was delivered back to me yesterday it incurred UK Customs costs before I could collect it. I emailed Matt the photo's of my shipping costs receipts and received an immediate refund of all my shipping costs. This has now cleared my account today.

Apart from the initial problems, which cannot be ignored, I have to say that I cannot fault the service and workmanship from Matt and RE.
Thank you for all your comments and encouragement prompting me to take this action, no regrets now.

Andy.

Photo's of the Re-Vamped, Re-Vamped Red Tip........
20190325_153719.jpg
20190326_175809.jpg

Well, I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the handling of the repair of my Re-Vamped Rhodium plated Gillette Red Tip by Matt and co at RE.

After taking onboard all your comments of advice, I returned the Razor to them on 16/02/2019 after sending photo's to them illustrating the problem, Matt requested the razor be returned to him.
I received the razor back yesterday and have to say that I am actually delighted with the result, it is plated as I would expect with no faulty areas, the doors close as they should and it does still give an awesome shave!!

When it was delivered back to me yesterday it incurred UK Customs costs before I could collect it. I emailed Matt the photo's of my shipping costs receipts and received an immediate refund of all my shipping costs. This has now cleared my account today.

Apart from the initial problems, which cannot be ignored, I have to say that I cannot fault the service and workmanship from Matt and RE.
Thank you for all your comments and encouragement prompting me to take this action, no regrets now.

Andy.

View attachment 966738 View attachment 966739
Man that's nice! I'm glad Matt made things right by you.

View attachment 951727 View attachment 951726

For comparison, here's my polished 6S, merely wiped down, no recent polish, was, or anything, for over a year.
Very nice job. The irony is, if Rockwell sold it like that rather than with a satin finish, you wouldn't see so many threads here like this one. People would just take it and be happy with it, understanding it's not a perfectly polished $200-$400 razor. The 6S is by far the best overall razor I've tried, and I'm not a stickler for aesthetics. But if appearance is important to you, the satin finish is obviously not ideal. Even if you like the look when new, it gradually wears off wherever there is consistent rubbing or contact. Polishing seems the best approach for those who want a nicer look.

Andy.

Thank you for the follow-up. I'm glad it all worked out to your satisfaction and Matt made it right. It's nice to read about Razor Emporium stepping up their customer service. They get pour mouthed regularly on this forum.

On topic: I find it a shame this rocket to have to twice travel the Globe to look acceptable.
RE proved yet another time how NOT to handle orders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy.

Absolutely stunning razor, congratulations! And it’s wonderful to hear that they made things right. There is still hope!

Don't get caught up with all the old farts on here that don't like their stuff because they don't like the owner his Shaving soaps have some of the best lathering I have seen. He has lots of exotic scents try Sangre de Drago. His stuff is more expensive than most so find different scents you like. No need to buy clubman from him when original is under $10.

anyone have this brush?what kinda know is that? it looks like a newer synthetic know. For those that have this brush, what are your thoughts on it? the knot looks bigger than 24mm and the handle looks super comfortable. How does this knot compare to the plisson and tuxedo synthetic knots?thank you

Top Bottom