What's new

Review of the OneBlade SE Razor

I must be in the minority but I found the experience to be lacking. I purchased a new V2 direct from OB and found a discount code that still worked so I was out of pocket a little over 300. I think what I didn't like was the big broad head and lack of maneuverability. The razor to me was mild and had trouble addressing a first pass on 4 day growth. When I used it like a regular safety razor I found the experience to be mediocre. When I applied enough pressure to actuate the pivot I wound up with irritation. Oh well I gave it a shot but ultimately returned it with its return period and just received my refund so nothing lost. I wanted it to be a winner but it just wasn't for me.

I must be in the minority but I found the experience to be lacking. I purchased a new V2 direct from OB and found a discount code that still worked so I was out of pocket a little over 300. I think what I didn't like was the big broad head and lack of maneuverability. The razor to me was mild and had trouble addressing a first pass on 4 day growth. When I used it like a regular safety razor I found the experience to be mediocre. When I applied enough pressure to actuate the pivot I wound up with irritation. Oh well I gave it a shot but ultimately returned it with its return period and just received my refund so nothing lost. I wanted it to be a winner but it just wasn't for me.
You gave it a shot. It's all you can do... That's the other good thing with the OneBlade makers, a no questions asked return policy within the time frame. They'll take your money, but they'll give it back if you're not satisfied.....

"intotheforge" please check your PM, asking for shipping info.

Shaved again yesterday evening, Morris and Forndran, 3 band silvertip, Kells Energy Shave stick and 2nd time with blade. Shave was uneventful. Not what I would call a "close" shave, Two passes, one with, one against the grain. Also tried touch up and ended up using King Cobra on "rough" spots and areas that still needed touch up.

I will not be purchasing OneBlade or Core as blade life and mildness of shave are not what I prefer in a razor. I was considering the new Core for when I travel, but for me there may be better choices!

I am interested in the new Rocnel SE- G and will be following reviews.

I will shave again with a new blade and then plan to ship. I do appreciate the opportunity!!

Well, reviews wouldn't be that much fun if everyone liked a razor equally, eh? But having a lot of reviews will undoubtedly help other folks decide how to spend their shaving dollars. I think having 15 independent reviewers on a $399 item is particularly useful.

Recapping where we are:

OneBlade U.S. Tour
Komboloi
dfoulk
RSP1
Heron
Feather-man
paintflinger
Sullybob
ShaverGN
JeffBr
intotheforge (shaving)
Haggises (on deck)
alabamalawyer
jazzguy
BigJoe
jbake37

Some folks find it convenient to reach out for shipping info from the next person in line as soon as they receive the item. That way the person shaving has the shipping info in hand when he is ready. That seems to have worked well in the past.

Oneblade is selling the Feather FHS-10 blades on Amazon at $.83 a blade. This wasn't on Amazon two weeks ago. On their website they tell you Amazon has them.

Screenshot_20170615-151207_1.jpg

intotheforge (shaving)
Haggises (on deck)
alabamalawyer
jazzguy
BigJoe
jbake37

Some folks find it convenient to reach out for shipping info from the next person in line as soon as they receive the item. That way the person shaving has the shipping info in hand when he is ready. That seems to have worked well in the past.
Intotheforge is on the ball :)

Received the OneBlade today. Thanks again for setting this up and inviting me. The box was in good shape and held a leather bound razor, a sample of SMN pre/post, some gem type blades and a box of feather spineless blades.

IMG_0777.JPG

I can't remember if I shaved yesterday morning or Thursday night (vacation yesterday with significant drinking...) I went ahead and tried this out about 7 tonight. It was somewhere between 32 and 46 hours of growth. Seen here:

IMG_0779.JPG

Used my favorite brush and Cade.

IMG_0780.JPG

Did WTG pass and stopped to take another pic. Seems way too mild. It is intuitive to use.

IMG_0783.JPG

WTG pass results looked decent enough; however, I rarely rinse off at this point and don't have a good frame of reference. Then did XTG and ATG. Still way too mild. The pivoting head bugs me; makes me feel like I never even gave up carts. Ended up doing more buffing and much more pressure than normal after the ATG pass. Then rinsed and dried. Seen here after last two passes and before any aftershave.

IMG_0785.JPG

Even with the extra buffing it is not BBS. Applied Fine Snakebite. Burn is no more than normal; maybe even a little less. Cooled off nicely.

IMG_0784.JPG

I feel decently shaved. I can see that this razor would be quick and easy to use. I already know that I will not drop big bucks on this one. I am going to ask my wife if she would like to try it on her legs. I'm not going to give her pricing until she renders an opinion. If she isn't interested in trying it, then I will continue to use this blade until it gives out. Then ship it. I may watch a couple videos on blade angle in the mean time. Use seems simple enough to me; but it is possible the lack of BBS is user error.

This is also the first time I have used this type of blade. The one I opened had gobs of wax on it; but seemed quite sturdy. I want to see lifespan before I look at other razors which use this blade type. I decided a long time ago that a razor or blade is right for me or not. I'm not going to worry with despining or shimming or any of that when there are so many excellent products in my bathroom already. So, all of the gems will go back in the next shipping box. If my wife shaves her legs with it, then I will use one more of the feather blades. So, there will be either 8 or 9 feathers remaining in the package when it goes to Haggises.

Thanks again for making this trial possible - this community is awesome. I appreciate that only known members are participating. The never-ending pif pass-around was unforgettably great right up until it wasn't... that box had perhaps 800 worth of stuff and cost $30+ to ship when I sent it on. Nearly a year later, some jerk named "buzzkill", of all things, kept it and left the community.

I may not post again until the day I get ready to ship the razor - should be this coming week.

Received the OneBlade today. Thanks again for setting this up and inviting me. The box was in good shape and held a leather bound razor, a sample of SMN pre/post, some gem type blades and a box of feather spineless blades.

View attachment 797470

I can't remember if I shaved yesterday morning or Thursday night (vacation yesterday with significant drinking...) I went ahead and tried this out about 7 tonight. It was somewhere between 32 and 46 hours of growth. Seen here:

View attachment 797471

Used my favorite brush and Cade.

View attachment 797473

Did WTG pass and stopped to take another pic. Seems way too mild. It is intuitive to use.

View attachment 797475

WTG pass results looked decent enough; however, I rarely rinse off at this point and don't have a good frame of reference. Then did XTG and ATG. Still way too mild. The pivoting head bugs me; makes me feel like I never even gave up carts. Ended up doing more buffing and much more pressure than normal after the ATG pass. Then rinsed and dried. Seen here after last two passes and before any aftershave.

View attachment 797476

Even with the extra buffing it is not BBS. Applied Fine Snakebite. Burn is no more than normal; maybe even a little less. Cooled off nicely.

View attachment 797478

I feel decently shaved. I can see that this razor would be quick and easy to use. I already know that I will not drop big bucks on this one. I am going to ask my wife if she would like to try it on her legs. I'm not going to give her pricing until she renders an opinion. If she isn't interested in trying it, then I will continue to use this blade until it gives out. Then ship it. I may watch a couple videos on blade angle in the mean time. Use seems simple enough to me; but it is possible the lack of BBS is user error.

This is also the first time I have used this type of blade. The one I opened had gobs of wax on it; but seemed quite sturdy. I want to see lifespan before I look at other razors which use this blade type. I decided a long time ago that a razor or blade is right for me or not. I'm not going to worry with despining or shimming or any of that when there are so many excellent products in my bathroom already. So, all of the gems will go back in the next shipping box. If my wife shaves her legs with it, then I will use one more of the feather blades. So, there will be either 8 or 9 feathers remaining in the package when it goes to Haggises.

Thanks again for making this trial possible - this community is awesome. I appreciate that only known members are participating. The never-ending pif pass-around was unforgettably great right up until it wasn't... that box had perhaps 800 worth of stuff and cost $30+ to ship when I sent it on. Nearly a year later, some jerk named "buzzkill", of all things, kept it and left the community.

I may not post again until the day I get ready to ship the razor - should be this coming week.

Thanks for the review!

I just shaved with the Oneblade Core for the first time and pretty much feel the same way about it as you feel about the Genesis. Took a lot of work to BBS my face, I aborted my head shave after my first pass and finished with my GEM push button, it just was efficient enough.

The Feather FHS-10 is a good blade, I put a spine on one and used it in my GEM G bar and it performed just as good as the GEM blade. The Oneblade Core is holding the blade back.

The Oneblade does not represent GEM razors when it comes to performance.

Got a Core yesterday, I am impressed so far. Will post a full review after a few weeks of shaves. I have an old Gem razor laying around somewhere. Last time I used it was in the 1980's. I recall setting it aside because I didn't like the blades available at that time. May have to see if I can find it. From what I recall, the Gem and the OB are completely different animals.

I do have to say I'm impressed with the Feathet blades so far.

I'm impressed with the Feather FHS-10 as well. I'm now looking for Valet razors, they actually use this blade.
Yes, I'll be interested to see what you come up with. My initial sense of the FHS in a OBCore is that the OB doesn't take full advantage of the blade. Angle or exposure or both must not be quite right for the FHS. Despite that the feather blade does a credible job in the OB.

I'm impressed with the Feather FHS-10 as well. I'm now looking for Valet razors, they actually use this blade.

@rabidus, I'll be interested to learn your impressions of the FHS-10 in a Valet razor. I have (I think) every version of the Autostrop/Valet, and my overall impression has been (a) that razor must have been an incredible revelation to men whose only option theretofore was a straight razor; and (b) things have come a long way since then.

Final use of the OB today. WTG, XTG, then ATG again. This time I used a cream and softer brush.

OB pic.JPG

My face is actually smoother today. No burn when using the AS either. However, it seemed to pull a bit during use. This could be from swimming in a highly chlorinated pool; not because it was the second use of the blade. My wife says she may try it. If she does, I will replace the blade for her on the off chance the pulling wasn't just the chlorine. Either way, I plan to ship Wednesday for Haggises to get it before Sunday.

woo woo!

2 more days of GEMini, then I may take a Valet with FHS blade for a spin to get me used to the blade.
Then some shaves with the OB.
Trying to go into it with an entirely open mind.

Great reviews, @intotheforge. Thanks. Also good to see that people are starting to review the Core.

Here's where the OneBlade pass around stands:

OneBlade U.S. Tour
Komboloi
dfoulk
RSP1
Heron
Feather-man
paintflinger
Sullybob
ShaverGN
JeffBr
intotheforge
Haggises (razor being shipped to him)
alabamalawyer (on deck)
jazzguy
BigJoe
jbake37
rabidus

I'm going to send a PM to @alabamalawyer for his address so I can send a new box of 10 Feather FHS-10 blades ahead. I'll also send a box of 10 Feather FAS-10 blades, which are the carbon steel version in case anyone wants to try those. Combined with the blades currently in the package, that should be enough to complete the pass around.

Last edited:
@rabidus is joining the pass around, so here is the updated list:

Komboloi
dfoulk
RSP1
Heron
Feather-man
paintflinger
Sullybob
ShaverGN
JeffBr
intotheforge
alabamalawyer (on deck)
jazzguy
BigJoe
jbake37
rabidus

Updated list.

Komboloi
dfoulk
RSP1
Heron
Feather-man
paintflinger
Sullybob
ShaverGN
JeffBr
intotheforge
alabamalawyer (on deck)
jazzguy
BigJoe
jbake37
rabidus
azwetshaver

I have my own FHS blades so I'll use them.
Remind me, does this version of the ON take despined GEM blades?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom