What's new

Review of the OneBlade SE Razor

The razor was well received from AZwetshaver . So far , I have not shaved with it. I can only shave every 3 days or so . But man is this thing beautiful. It just looks in your hand leaps and bounds better than the core in every aspect which is to be expected for a razor at this price. I'll give my thoughts on the shave later today , or tomorrow.

Had shave #1 under my belt and in truth , I find it very comparable to my OB Core v2 one shave in. I think I like the Genesis because it's a higher quality razor in terms of craftsmanship, but for the price , the core V2 is just as good.

Just a heads up, the razor is going out tomorrow to Jazzguy, Wednesday at the latest. I have a few shaves with it, and I get the idea.
Many thanks to @azwetshaver for his insights. Here's where the list stands:

Komboloi
dfoulk
RSP1
Heron
Feather-man
paintflinger
Sullybob
ShaverGN
JeffBr
intotheforge
Haggises
alabamalawyer
rabidus
azwetshaver
cgr86 (razor is in the mail)
jazzguy (next up)
Komboloi

@jazzguy, you'll want to make sure @cgr86 has your shipping address if he doesn't already.

Just a heads up, the razor is going out tomorrow to Jazzguy, Wednesday at the latest. I have a few shaves with it, and I get the idea.

So we're getting close to the end. After @jazzman, the razor will come back to me. There are a couple additional late-entry destinations we'll try to work in, but this razor is headed for the charity auction block this fall. Get your auction paddles ready!

So we're getting close to the end. After @jazzman, the razor will come back to me. There are a couple additional late-entry destinations we'll try to work in, but this razor is headed for the charity auction block this fall. Get your auction paddles ready!
Ooooohhhhh!!!!! Now I see how you play!!! You gave us a little sample of the goods. Very sneaky ;)

Since it's been 4 days since the razor was delivered to him and we haven't heard anything from @jazzguy, I've reached out to him by PM just to make sure he's got it.

It was fun to try the One Blade. Like many my age I first shaved with a Sensor so the pivoting head was familiar. I found the OB a mild razor and it was easy to find the correct angle. It seems to have been designed to get people over from cartridge razors with a low learning curve. However I found that with the spring loading and the mild agression it was hard for me to tell how hard I was pressing. I encountered post shave irritation that I don't get with my DEs or my Cobra Classic and I think it was from too much pressure. The shaves were similar to a DE for me, not as close as a Cobra shave. I also found it difficult to shave under my nose due to the size of the head and the spring action. One thing I especially did not like was how much force it took to insert and remove the blade which struck me as at least a minor safety issue and I wonder about dulling blades and wear on the head.The overall razor quality seemed high to me and looking at the design and construction I can see why the price is so high. It looks complicated to build and finish. This is not a razor I would purchase based on this brief trial. A big thanks to Michael for sending yet another razor into the wild for us to try. Komboloi should have it any day.

Thanks to @Komboloi, I was put on the stand by list for the OB pass around and my name came up. Hopefully he didn't have the shave marshals drag another shaver with a reserved spot screaming off the list. ;-) I originally had no interest in the OB, but after the release of the Core, I put it out of my mind completely. It was a terrible shaver and I returned it for a refund. Before processing my refund, they came up with v2 and so I tried that and I was totally impressed. I still returned it because it gave too great of a shave without any effort and took the fun out of shaving. Now I wanted to see what the REAL OB could do. Tonight I used a despined Gem PTFE blade that was notched at the ends just so it would sit properly. Shaving with the OB was a different experience than with a Core. The balance was better. The core was primarily heavy at the handle and often times you could lose the head while shaving. Not so with the OB. I could actually feel the head on my face and it shaved smoothly. One thing I forgot about the OB was that it was counter intuitive. With all other shavers, you put the edge of the blade and the guard agaist your face to shave. With the OB, you put the top of the head against your face and apply pressure so that the blade and guard falls in place with the spring activated. So first shave back, I ended up with a two pass plus touch up DFS (almost BBS). I will be trying it with a FHS blade tomorrow night. In all the shaves with the Core, I have always used a despined and notched Gem blade. Looking forward to trying the FHS tomorrow.

I love my oneblade - but I don't love having to buy feather fhs-10's for it.
I also don't like that oneblade seems to have strong-armed connaught's into not shipping fhs-10's to north america.
It's my best shaver, but the blade thing pisses me off...

I also don't like that oneblade seems to have strong-armed connaught's into not shipping fhs-10's to north america.
Like in my post, I spent almost three weeks with the Core v1 and v2 and one day with this OB and never used an FHS blade in all of my OB shaves (until tonight's shave). Never had a problem with a Gem type blade and judging from what folks say about the FHS blades being good for only a couple of shaves, a Gem blade would last me about 8-10 shaves. Don't get pissed, try something different!

BTW - Connaught got the best prices on Gem PTFE blades.

Their are options. This week I'm going to try a couple different sizes of Kai BEST blades. They are carbon, so rusting may be an issue, but it's worth a shot.

I actually don't mind the FHS blades, I get 3 good shaves out of one in my Gen V2. Not bad considering that's the equivelant of 6 shaves from a DE blade which is what I typically get from feathers and Kai's.

Tonight's shave was with the FHS blade. The blade was definitely stiffer than the Gem PTFE that I used last night. Don't know if it was the blade or me just getting reacquainted with how to use a OB, but this time around I had a very good two pass shave without any concentration or effort.

Well, last shave with the OB tonight. It is now packed and ready to move to it's next destination. Overall, I am more impressed with this OB than I was with the Core. Shave quality was very good, but it just did not feel like a razor and allowed me to use any random type technique. The OB shaved like a real razor and was comfortable and gave me a good shave with little effort. Still haven't decided if I am willing to miss a couple of car payments for the privilege of owning one.

Top Bottom