What's new

Review: Gillette NEW Improved

That’s what my research led me to believe as well - I read something about sowing which exactly what will happen after I would have had a shave with them! I still like the vintage aspect of them though.

Guido
I have shaved with some of the Soviet made blades back in the days. Even the Stainless steel ones that were made for shaving were pretty bad. The carbons like Нева (Neva) were terrible, even though they were made for shaving. Still have a couple of 80s Voskhods, but don't want to shave with them. Nowhere near the modern production of MOSTOCHLEGMASH.

The thought did cross my mind to try this Russian / Eastern blade - brand Pezvia (which according to Google Translate resembles I Sing) in the Flatboy - but for now that remains just a thought!

Guido
That is Cyrillic. The first letter is not П (= Latin P). It is Л (=Latin L) No brand on those blades. ЛЕЗВИЯ just means BLADES. They are manufactured by the former Leningrad (now Saint Petersburg) plant that was bought in the 90s by Gillette. The same that manufactured Sputniks during Soviet times.

That is Cyrillic. The first letter is not П (= Latin P). It is Л (=Latin L) No brand on those blades. ЛЕЗВИЯ just means BLADES. They are manufactured by the former Leningrad (now Saint Petersburg) plant that was bought in the 90s by Gillette. The same that manufactured Sputniks during Soviet times.
All on my translation skills! I installed the Russian keyboard on my iPhone just for translating the package - I typed it incorrectly. I could make out some of the other letters by what I know from Cyrillic - but I need to study harder.

Thanks Ivan.

Guido.

Ps: you know you are now my go-to source for shaving related Cyrillic questions, right?!

lasta

Blade Biter
More from the box that the blades came in if you want to do some digging.

I recognized the round symbol from a soviet blade collector website, but I can't find that page anymore!

I think the address is Stalingrad (Krupskaya street?), not Leningrad.

Attachments

• Image_20221026054340.jpg
    Image_20221026054340.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Image_20221026054350.jpg
    Image_20221026054350.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Image_20221026054400.jpg
    Image_20221026054400.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220301_230001.jpg
    20220301_230001.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220301_230019.jpg
    20220301_230019.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 2
More from the box that the blades came in if you want to do some digging.

I recognized the round symbol from a soviet blade collector website, but I can't find that page anymore!

I think the address is Stalingrad (Krupskaya street?), not Leningrad.
Sorry, but you are completely wrong. You can't read Cyrillic, right?
It says there Ленинград (Leningrad). Please read post #27. They are made in the late 80s.
FYI Stalingrad has been renamed to Volgograd in 1961

Glad to see some love being shown for the New Improved series of razors. I'm a big fan as well, and if it wasn't for the fact that there aren't as many in use/circulation, I believe they'd be held in as high regard as the "New" razors. I have two; a (mostly) gold wash "Bostonian" style 3 piece and a Silver Tuckaway in the case that gets used for my birthday shaves as it's in such nice condition that I'm afraid to use it on a regular basis out of fear of dropping/damaging it. Well, mostly because my gold NI somehow got "knocked off of its stand and onto the floor" by someone not me a day after I decided to send it for a replate... (which isn't happening now because who wants to spend $ replating a razor w/bent teeth?). Despite the malformed tooth, the gold NI gets used a lot -- works well will vintage Wilkinson Sword blades and vintage carbon Gillette Thins (the face feel afterwards is like a carbon straight razor shave for odd reasons).

Glad to see some love being shown for the New Improved series of razors. I'm a big fan as well, and if it wasn't for the fact that there aren't as many in use/circulation, I believe they'd be held in as high regard as the "New" razors. I have two; a (mostly) gold wash "Bostonian" style 3 piece and a Silver Tuckaway in the case that gets used for my birthday shaves as it's in such nice condition that I'm afraid to use it on a regular basis out of fear of dropping/damaging it. Well, mostly because my gold NI somehow got "knocked off of its stand and onto the floor" by someone not me a day after I decided to send it for a replate... (which isn't happening now because who wants to spend $ replating a razor w/bent teeth?). Despite the malformed tooth, the gold NI gets used a lot -- works well will vintage Wilkinson Sword blades and vintage carbon Gillette Thins (the face feel afterwards is like a carbon straight razor shave for odd reasons).
Thanks your lordship.

I think I read somewhere that Chris from BRG also does repairs to razors, but I could be wrong. I feel your pain at least, but how great you have more than one! This morning's shave was glorious again. I used a Timor blade on its third run. Worked like a charm.

Enjoy!

Guido.

Top Bottom