What's new

Repaint Fat Boy

I have a fat boy in excellent mechanical condition, but the numbers and the black ring need restoration. It's a D4 and has the combination of nickel and black below the dial collar (see photo). I know how to repaint the numbers, but I am not sure how to paint the ring and leave the nickel part clean. I don't intend to polish the razor, as the finish is intact and authentic. I just want to repaint the numbers and the ring.

PXL_20201002_014230764.jpg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Painters tape on each side is how I do it. A thin coat because it has to slip under the adjustment collet.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
It's just like masking tape but it is blue. 3m makes it. Available at Lowes, Home Depot, Anywhere they sell paint and hardware

I did not use any when I restored my Fatboy Executive, just paint it with black enamel paint and a very fine artist brush.

I just got the pen; they come 3 in a pack from amazon. They work well. This is my best effort yet (pic attached). I need to clean the handle a bit with mineral spirits. I'm waiting for the ring to dry. And I need to touch up a bit. You need a slow and steady hand, but this is much better than the toothpick method. And this one is hard because of the unpainted ring just above it. I need practice and will probably strip this one with mineral spirits and start over. I did not do the numbers,they were done previously with a toothpick and Testors.

ink pen.jpg

The handle cleaned up well. I'm going to try masking both the top and bottom so that I can touch up. Masking the top won't be easy.

Second time around. This time I cut a very narrow strip of blue painter's tape for above the ring. The handle at the bottom of the ring kept the pen within the groove. This was a very good way to go. I think my result is close to perfect. Much thanks to malocchio.

repaint.jpg

Top Bottom