What's new

Remington Microscreen - close as a blade?

Does anyone else remember those old ads on TV for Remington Microscreen shavers that were supposedly "As close as a blade or your money back"? Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBuAsGgwHI

Obviously these claims can't be true so I was wondering if anyone ever actually took them up on that and actually DID get their money back?

As an aside does anyone else find it annoying fabric softeners always have kind of poncy names and really annoying ads. Things like 'Cuddly' and 'Fluffy' advertised with puppies or bunnies or smiling babies. I always feel kind of weird having to buy that stuff at the supermarket (I admit I do like my clothes to feel soft). I always wanted to make a brand for men with more masculine names. Something like 'Sump plug' or 'Gear-knobs'.

Anyway, back to the point, do Remington still make that 'close as a blade' claim in their advertising?

Simon

I hated that ad!
It was probably just that his accent doesn't sound like mine, but I always thought he sounded like a sheep: "...or your money ba-a-a-a-a-ck." If I could find that old Remington, that dude owes me money, too...

Well, he comes across as such a nice, sincere bloke, who wouldn't believe him? :biggrin:

Then again, he doesn't say what kind of blade, how old or how blunt. My guess is that they didn't refund too often.

And if you are worried about your image at the supermarket, pick up a bottle of Drano and swig from that as you wheel your trolley down the aisle. (Actually, 1 April's just around the corner... you could have some fun with that.)

Cheers

Jeremy

Yep. I sent one back, in the early 90s. :smile:
They cheerfully refunded my money.I may have been the only one to take them up on it.

And if you are worried about your image at the supermarket, pick up a bottle of Drano and swig from that as you wheel your trolley down the aisle. (Actually, 1 April's just around the corner... you could have some fun with that.)

It isn't so much my image I worry about it's just that fabric softener annoys me. I mean you're standing there in front of a shelf full of bottles that all look the same (in pastel blues and greens and pinks) reading all the labels with names like Cuddly, Softy, Fluffy, Dopey, Grumpy, Bashful and Doc (ok, I MAY have made up the last ones but the first three are real names) and wondering what the hell is the difference. And they all have vague names for the smells they have. I mean what the hell is 'Sunshine fresh'? Or 'Rainforest'? To me that would be rotting, damp vegetation and monkey poo.

Actually damn it, now that I think about it now I am going to stop buying the stuff!

Also I don't actually go to supermarkets. I shop online. Supermarkets stress me out.

I have shopping issues.

Simon

Mate, I share in your pain. At least when it comes to the ads.

My wife hates the supermarket as well... so I go. Take the right attitude with you and it can be a lot of fun. Especially watching couples with carefully thought out strategies for winning the checkout battle (he lines up, she runs around picking up the last few items, he starts getting nervous when he's next in line and the Mrs is out of sight).

As for Grumpy, Dopey and Doc... hey, I'd buy that!

Cheers

Jeremy

Was that from the same company that usually (around Christmas time) had Santa driving around in a "sleigh" that was actually the head of the shaver?

Was that from the same company that usually (around Christmas time) had Santa driving around in a "sleigh" that was actually the head of the shaver?

Nuh-uh. That was Norelco's "Noelco" commercial. Gave me nightmares and drove me to a lifetime of meticulous wetshaving. :biggrin:

I can't comment on the electric razor, but as for dryer sheet names, why not something simple like "Cloth Soft" or "Defirm" with scents like sandalwood, lime, and garlic =P or perhaps "Fabric Acid - Soften up your clothes with a hit." or "Thread-Shred, the ultra tough clothes softener" that could be the more Axe like version. I can see the ads, the clothes falling apart at the appropriate time when a hot lady is around... Still though, it's hard to create a product that's all about softness and brand it with an image that is manly, who stereotypically shouldn't be all soft.

I used to use a remington and oddly enough I used one two days ago to see if this traditional wetshaving jazz after about one year has given me closer shaves.

My conclusion was that it wasn't giving me closer shaves. And infact, I would say that had I not discovered old gillettes recently that trad wetshaving was giving me worse shaves. I also discovered that the electric razor was giving me approximately the same closeness in less time. However, the irritation sky rocketed and brought back a familiar feeling that I never realized was irritation until I started wetshaving with a DE.

I would argue that the microscreen remington's do in fact give you superb shaves in terms of closeness and especially for the time and concentration involved.

I would argue that the microscreen remington's do in fact give you superb shaves in terms of closeness and especially for the time and concentration involved.

It's interesting to me that this does seem to be true for some people. I tried hard to get a good shave from electric razors, trying several brands. All of them do a bad job on my face and a terrible job on my neck. I do have one in my cabinet (a Braun) that I use on my nose and ears. My Dad can get a good shave with them, but I can't. If I had to shave with an electric razor, I would grow a beard.

I tried a Remington back in the late '70s. I was able to get a close shave, but...I had the redest neck that burned like fire! I should've sent it back.

-Clarke

"Cartridge shaving...so easy, a caveman can do it."
"Shaving with a real blade...an aquired skill."

I tried numerous electrics including some very expensive Braun models. I never got good results (almost always irritated/red, ingrown hairs, and the smoothness didn't last long).

I got better results with a cartridge but always superior results with DE.

My dad hates wetshaving and loves his Norelco.

YMMV apparently.

Oh man this brings back memories. I had a Remington Microscreen when I was younger. I found that I could get a pretty darn close shave from it provided I used a lot of pressure, and ran it back and forth over the same spot MANY times. Needless to say that really isn't something you should subject your face to.

What was funny was that as soon as Remington said that their electric shavers were "as close as a blade", they thereby acknowledged that the standard was, in fact, the blade.

What was funny was that as soon as Remington said that their electric shavers were "as close as a blade", they thereby acknowledged that the standard was, in fact, the blade.

That was my thought also. I used to use a Norelco(which I still own-great for trimming those underarms! and the back of my neck) but the road rash and smaller bumps caused was not worth it, but much better than the multi-blades.

Marty

I regret never returning my Remington Boat Anchor. I think I just trashed it.

After a few weeks, my focus went from the Remington's crummy shaves to how I was going to deal with a brand new experience - severely infected ingrown hairs.

Remington drove me back to Trac II's. And THAT is saying a LOT.

YMMV, and Good Luck!

My thoughts exactly. Uh, then why not shave with a blade then? I used a Remington microscreen all through college. I didn't have much of a beard in those days so I thought it was as close as a blade. What the hell did I know? I'd never shaved with a blade at that point, only electrics. Then, as my beard became heavier the microscreen just couldn't keep up. I actually ditched the electrics due to the cost of the damn cutting heads only to end up in traditional wetshaving to save money. Ok, I didn't save money, too many brushes, razors, blades, creams soaps I wanted but I do get better shave.s

Top Bottom