What's new

Refurbished Gillette Fatboy & Slim Razoremporium

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Even $145 is price gouging in my opinion, save for a never used original in the real case with shipper & instructions and blades. Which isn't what that well known vendor advertises .. weren't they banned at B&B once? I might be mistaken on that, but just looked at RE & they are likely picking up some dogs on Flea Bay & slapping on the re-coating. But price discussion was once frowned upon, so I'll cease

Even $145 is price gouging in my opinion, save for a never used original in the real case with shipper & instructions and blades. Which isn't what that well known vendor advertises .. weren't they banned at B&B once? I might be mistaken on that, but just looked at RE & they are likely picking up some dogs on Flea Bay & slapping on the re-coating. But price discussion was once frowned upon, so I'll cease
It's the same price you'll pay at Richard's Razors, Above the Tie, or any other reputable razor restorer. I'll support your right to assess value for yourself any day of the week, but it's wrong to single out RE for price gouging when their prices are in sync with the rest of the vendors in the market.

I get it, RE has a bad history on this forum, and I support people airing their own negative experiences. But I don't think it's fair for the people who've never done business with RE to try and shut down anyone who tries to share their own positive experiences.

I will report back on this one when I receive it and provide my thoughts and some pics. I sure would love to see Gillette produce these razors again - imagine the splash and commotion that would cause? Perhaps wishful thinking but for now, I am pleased with my collection which consisted of 12 fat boys and slims bought on eBay (the pricier really nice variety), I have a couple of the reproductions from global shave club and am rounding out the collection with another revamp. I like to support everyone advancing this great hobby :)

• Love
Reactions: Anu
First of all, the revamped Slim from RE costs $145 and the Fatboy $195, not $250 as stated by the OP. I assume he is not US based and therefore needs to cope with high shipping costs and import taxes, but that’s not RE’s fault. Or he is looking for gold or rhodium plating, which of course are more expensive than nickel

Second, RE’s revamp service alone costs $99 for a Slim or Fatboy. They will disassemble, polish, clean, fix, replate, reassemble, calibrate, adjust. I urge the critics to a) do a quick math and assess how much this would cost in human time and equipment and b) identify other reputable vendors offering a similar service at a significant lower price - good luck finding it. Razor Emporium has published several videos on YouTube showing the steps of the process. They are not easy to be done by amateur hands, require both manual work and some fancy hardware, and are relatively time consuming

Third, RE always have discount coupons available, up to 20%. That means the revamped Slim costs $116 and the Fatboy $156. If you consider that a Slim costs anywhere between $20-50 on eBay/Etsy (exceptions apply), and a Fatboy will cost $40-70 (exceptions apply), their prices are quite reasonable AS LONG AS YOU WANT A SHINY BRAND NEW 1960s REVAMPED RAZOR

Fourth, there are people like myself that would love to have a mint condition vintage Gillette, but doesn’t have the time or patience to wait for it to show up on the auction site or doesn’t feel comfortable buying such an item from an unknown seller. Razor Emporium made to order service offers convenience, and I think a 10-20% premium for such convenience is justified

Now, if your thing is to shave with the cheapest vintage razor, go ahead and help yourself with a $5 Tech beater and be happy with it. But there’s no need to criticize and judge negatively those who prefer a different approach.

No one is obliged to like Matt or Razor Emporium, and I know some people have faced poor customer experience from them. Airing this is important so others can make their own informed decisions, but just coming to the forum and bashing a (false) high price without doing some minimum due diligence is detrimental to the vendor, hobby and community

my $0.02

Last edited:
Hello again all! As promised, I have received my slim adjustable from Razor Emporium! I placed the order on 8/13 when I first posted to this discussion with he promise of shipping within 2-3 weeks (A plus for promises kept as I have the razor in hand and I live across the country). I see a tiny dent in one of the safety bars - and that is the only thing I can find - and given that these are old razors in disrepair that are restored, I assumed I would see some imperfections under the nickel (A grade as far as I am concerned).

the razor itself presents beautifully and basically looks like a brand new slim adjustable - I am very impressed and I am pleased enough that I will follow-up with a Fatboy order. I think the pictures can speak for themselves… and all for $116 with the summer discount!

I couldn’t be happier!
671B8328-65A3-473E-93FD-EBF4E5F878E8.jpeg
671B8328-65A3-473E-93FD-EBF4E5F878E8.jpeg
04FD0D79-E58F-48FE-B0C3-550D3F7ADB7E.jpeg
1B6BE9D0-7B53-4A8B-91D1-A456BA7D9B58.jpeg
ACC21114-74C6-4AE1-8DCA-3689783D4529.jpeg
51842672-68A7-465E-B597-7C1CB45EB683.jpeg
D8269ED0-FF9A-4529-AB46-B0954C7C0E92.jpeg
26CB7044-C252-4D99-B4F2-09F5F39D2781.jpeg
F44AB0F3-2195-4FC3-B8CA-8CFCF62E9434.jpeg
6F4F2EC0-1AF7-48B4-B14A-90AE04F30DEF.jpeg
44AFD939-88B0-4188-A1C6-DBB89853DE32.jpeg

Hello again all! As promised, I have received my slim adjustable from Razor Emporium! I placed the order on 8/13 when I first posted to this discussion with he promise of shipping within 2-3 weeks (A plus for promises kept as I have the razor in hand and I live across the country). I see a tiny dent in one of the safety bars - and that is the only thing I can find - and given that these are old razors in disrepair that are restored, I assumed I would see some imperfections under the nickel (A grade as far as I am concerned).

the razor itself presents beautifully and basically looks like a brand new slim adjustable - I am very impressed and I am pleased enough that I will follow-up with a Fatboy order. I think the pictures can speak for themselves… and all for $116 with the summer discount!

I couldn’t be happier!View attachment 1319810View attachment 1319810View attachment 1319811View attachment 1319812View attachment 1319813View attachment 1319814View attachment 1319815View attachment 1319816View attachment 1319817View attachment 1319818View attachment 1319819

That looks incredible. Congrats!

Reactions: Anu

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Looks good. I wonder how close to a NOS one would it look. That would be the test for me.

Top Bottom