What's new

Reel vs Other push mowers

What kind of push mower should I get?

• Old school reel

• gas

• electric

• steam

Results are only viewable after voting.
Referencing my last post, I'd act fast on that amazon deal. Those must be left over from last year and heavily discounted at that price. They are over 400 bucks at Sears. Says there are 6 left at amazon. I thought that was a heck of a deal.

Last edited:
BTW, I'd act fast on that amazon deal. Those must be left over from last year and heavily discounted at that price. They are over 400 bucks at Sears. Says there are 6 left at amazon. I thought that was a heck of a deal.

Ill take a look, thanks! I am not ready just yet though... I have an acre around the house (now) that I keep knocked down, it is mostly bermuda and weeds. I have used a push mower (gas) before and while it wasn't great it was ok. Now I keep a little more cut and use the rider with no issues.

I recommend outsourcing the mowing.

After two yellow-jacket induced near-death experiences I decided to call in the pro's. As much as I enjoyed the zen like solace of mowing the lawn myself, I appreciate getting the time to do other work around the house.

Art is King and hires somebody to mow!

I would be inclined towards a reel mower if I had to mow.

For a small yard, I like my reel mower (and an electric trimmer for edging and tough areas). I like that fact that I don't have to listen to all of the noise, and smell the fumes of a gas mower. It might take a bit longer, but is more relaxing by far. I use something along these lines (might not be this exact model):
http://www.amazon.com/American-Lawn...R9UL/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1328717032&sr=8-9

I have a grass allergy, and the reel mower is also much better for it. Using a powered mower, I'll be sneezing for at least an hour after I finish. With a reel mower, no problem at all.

A reel mower is much easier to push than a gas mower, and turns corners much easier. Just a little thing that makes my yard with lots of interruptions to the grass easier to mow.

-James

When I was a kid my dad had MAD, we had every type there was except reel. From what others have said here combined with my experience, I would say get two mowers. Definitely go for a high end reel if that is what you want to mow with. My suggestion for the other mower would be a battery powered electric. We had an old Toro battery powered mower when I was a kid and it was awesome, flip the switch, pull the handle down and go. It was plenty to do two 1/4 acre lots on one charge. As a member of this forum, I assume you have a taste for older, non-mainstream items that are efficient and effective. Based on this I would also suggest a vintage Lawn Boy. They can be had relatively cheap and they run forever. Its like having an SE and a DE, some days you will want to go out and enjoy a peaceful lawn mowing, other days you will just want to get it over with. Why not have a tool for each?

When I was a kid my dad had MAD, we had every type there was except reel. From what others have said here combined with my experience, I would say get two mowers. Definitely go for a high end reel if that is what you want to mow with. My suggestion for the other mower would be a battery powered electric. We had an old Toro battery powered mower when I was a kid and it was awesome, flip the switch, pull the handle down and go. It was plenty to do two 1/4 acre lots on one charge. As a member of this forum, I assume you have a taste for older, non-mainstream items that are efficient and effective. Based on this I would also suggest a vintage Lawn Boy. They can be had relatively cheap and they run forever. Its like having an SE and a DE, some days you will want to go out and enjoy a peaceful lawn mowing, other days you will just want to get it over with. Why not have a tool for each?

:lol:

I like your idea! I think I am going to get an electric to start with then pick up a reel in the next year or so. Then I will always have the electric incase I get lazy and the grass gets too high to cut with the reel.

Remember you have Bermuda. There are electric reel mowers such as the Sun Joe or Brill brand.

Ill check it out, I have Bermuda now (and for the last 12 years) and have not had problems with rotary mowers so far.

With a riding mower the deck floats. With a walk behind, every little rut each wheel finds causes the deck to dip and the blade to tear into the lawn. The midwest and northern Bermuda/Fescue mixes tolerate this better due to the height they are cut at. Southern straight Bermuda lawns are cut much lower and don't respond well.

I had a gas push mower for the first 5 years I was here and it did alright. Well as alright as it could with how little I mowed :lol: I still can't figure out why someone would sell a 20 year old a place like this! It has worked out well though...

:lol:

I like your idea! I think I am going to get an electric to start with then pick up a reel in the next year or so. Then I will always have the electric incase I get lazy and the grass gets too high to cut with the reel.

You can never have too many tools! I am not sure what is on the market as far as electris go (the last mower I bought was a John Deere F935), but I would definitely go with a cordless model. With the new lipo battery technology there is no reason to be dragging a cord around. There are even solar powered automatic robot motors that will learn the boundaries and then just go out and mow on their own.... if I still lived in the city that is what i would get.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeown...wers/husqvarna-robotic-mowers-for-homeowners/

I have one of those lawnbotts. I have it set up on one of the lawns. They are priced like Ferraris, almost 4k. It does have problems with grade. I don't think it would do well with Bermuda grass. They might have different wheels to accomodate, but as I mentioned before, 4k.

Yeah I'm thinking I want to spend less then $500. I have a garage and barn full of tools right now so I don't really need any extra clutter or unused stuff taking up space in my little 2 car garage...

better check with the HOA and see what they allow and how high you have to cut. you can find a nice selection of mowers on Craigslist.

No regulations on what you use or how high it has to be but it must be "properly maintained" It won't be an issue I tend to keep my stuff in good shape.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
better check with the HOA and see what they allow and how high you have to cut. you can find a nice selection of mowers on Craigslist.

I am thankful every day that I do not live in a neighborhood that is run by such a fascist organization :001_smile

Top Bottom