What's new

Reel vs Other push mowers

What kind of push mower should I get?

• Old school reel

• gas

• electric

• steam

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well it's just about done, the wife is moving us to town...

My ol' 60" riding mower would be a joke at the new place and I couldn't get it in the back yard without asking the HOA for permission to put in a bigger gate :cursing: (I looked over the HOA stuff and it really isn't that bad, just seems nuts to ask for permission to paint your house)

I haven't used a reel mower in years and was thinking it would be nice not to have to mess with gas/oil (I always hated gas push mowers) and it looks like they are making a comeback! I had no idea they were still being produced.

I think I am leaning towards the 20" Fiskars reel mower for about $200, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045VL1OO...e=394997&creativeASIN=B0045VL1OO&linkCode=asn kinda seems nuts for what it is though! I am not 100% opposed to a gas or electric powered mower either.

The yard is less then 1/4 acre so whatever I end up with doesn't have to be a beast. I really have no idea what I need nor do I know much about push mowers of any sorts so all advice will be accepted.

So I would appreciate if some of you gentlemen would chime in and offer your push mower advice, Ouch Ill listen to what you have to say too :lol:

I have looked at cheaper reel mowers but this one seems to get the best ratings and be well designed.

When we first got married I thought I'd be slick and buy a reel mower to do the yard. It was over 1/3 acre, I mowed it a few times before we actually got married. We got married and in the fury of moving my wife in (from three hours away) after our honeymoon it was mid-May and hadn't been mowed for a couple weeks.

I reel mowed one strip in the backyard, drove to Walmart, and bought a "Weedeater" brand gas mower. It's has a Briggs and Stratton Engine and it's been a pretty good mower for the last three years. And it was cheaper than that fiskers reel mower you linked too. I honestly don't mind mowing, but when you need to "sneak in a quick mow" you won't be doing that with a reel mower.

When we first got married I thought I'd be slick and buy a reel mower to do the yard. It was over 1/3 acre, I mowed it a few times before we actually got married. We got married and in the fury of moving my wife in (from three hours away) after our honeymoon it was mid-May and hadn't been mowed for a couple weeks.

I reel mowed one strip in the backyard, drove to Walmart, and bought a "Weedeater" brand gas mower. It's has a Briggs and Stratton Engine and it's been a pretty good mower for the last three years. And it was cheaper than that fiskers reel mower you linked too. I honestly don't mind mowing, but when you need to "sneak in a quick mow" you won't be doing that with a reel mower.

Did it take much longer to use the reel mower? Well when the grass wasn't out of control? Im a little ticked I love the mower I have now, my wife bought it for me a few years back for our 7th aniv. I know the Fiskars is about the same price as a lower end gas mower but the low mantinace seems nice...

I got into reel mowing a few years ago. My wife bought me a Scott Reel Pro, but I would have picked this one for myself. Being a sucker for all things German Engineered:

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/brillux38ree.html

The Brill Lexus.

Oh wait! Discontinued! Here is their replacement model:

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/brill-razorcut-38-reel-mower.html

RAZORCUT?!?! Come on.. .that's a sign,...

How big of a yard do you have? Do you think it takes much longer then a gas mower? I looked at the Scotts but from what I could tell it was poorly constructed, is that what you found?

It took longer, yes. And if you're in Texas I can imagine you'd understand that you want to be out in the heat as little as possible during grass cutting season. :)
Mine wasn't some top end reel mower, it worked well. Then I sharpened it a bit when it started having some cutting issues. Didn't seem to help.

I wouldn't call a simple two stroke high maintenance. I change the oil at the end of the season. Put a new plug in. Change air filter. Sharpen the blade. Going into it's 4th mowing season and for about $120, I'll take it.

I will note that the quality of the cut from the reel mower I had wasn't that great. I could honestly care less about my lawn, though, so I didn't care.

Last edited:
It all depends on how much lawn you have to cut. For a small yard a manual push mower will do a good job, but for anything large I'd opt. for a gas powered.

i use reel for 4 years now, i didn't go with a brill because of the height of the cut... i have a scotts 16" i think... i borrow a neighbors if i need to 2x a season. they always ask me if i want to borrow one and i take them up at the beginning and end of season. i also use a Turf Hound Aerator.. my neighbors think i am nuts... i have the nicest lawn around... it's not bright green nor white tipped...

How big of a yard do you have? Do you think it takes much longer then a gas mower? I looked at the Scotts but from what I could tell it was poorly constructed, is that what you found?

My yard was 3/4 of an acre.

It's not the size of the yard that frequently stymied me, but the fact that you can't skip a week or delay more than a day or so without the reel mower becoming ineffective.

The scott's is poorly constructed, and it is a pain in the rear to "tune."

I did enjoy not having to use gas, and I also enjoyed the fact that mowing went from a smelly, exhaust filled noisy experience to a relatively quite walk around my yard listening to the birds or my ipod. And I hear the Brill is even more quiet.

Then, two years ago, my wife decided that I spent too much time wakeboarding and not enough time mowing, so she hired some people to mow. 100 bucks a month and they come once a week and swarm like freakin' lawn ninjas. In and out in 15 minutes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I got into reel mowing a few years ago. My wife bought me a Scott Reel Pro, but I would have picked this one for myself. Being a sucker for all things German Engineered:

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/brillux38ree.html

The Brill Lexus.

Oh wait! Discontinued! Here is their replacement model:

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/brill-razorcut-38-reel-mower.html

RAZORCUT?!?! Come on.. .that's a sign,...

That is nice, but I have St. Augustine. You keep Augustine at 1" and you are going to have a dead lawn. The Scott does 3", but down here that is kind of pushing it.

watch your chain hardware stores sometimes you can get a steal on referb mowers. A couple years back I bought a nifty self-propelled honda for $50 plus tax when I got fed up with my parents lawn boy. Thing was originals over $250 and its been running strong for over 4 years, one of the best purchases I've ever made. Starts first pull every time, bags or mulches, and a handful of speeds.

It's a small yard, I will not have a barn to do work in anymore so I think my "workshop" may be non-existant. I don't have a problem working on things it's mostly just the space issue and the idea of making things easier.

I will probably go with the electric and get a cheap reel mower to try out. I think with the Fiskers 1"-4" adjustment would be good for the taller grass and the bermuda that was just put down. Mowing every week would not be an issue.

No matter what you do in the summer it's hot, I will live long enough to cut the grass. I just want something simple that will promote the healthy growth of the lawn so it can establish itself.

I have a Brill reel mower which does a good job on my small yard containing a short creeping grass. My biggest complaint is with nearby "trashy" trees that continually drop twigs and debris, which often need to be raked before mowing the lawn, things that a deck mower would plow right through or over the top of.

I've read that the cheaper reel mowers are not so well designed (or maybe they just have inferior blades) and do not cut very well and will be frustrating to use.

I like my electric mulching mower... it chops the grass down and you don't have to bag it and haul it out to the curb. The Wife did pick up a reel mower from a thrift store, but it was too much work, and if you don't stay on top of mowing the lawn, you'll have trouble.

I like my electric mulching mower... it chops the grass down and you don't have to bag it and haul it out to the curb. The Wife did pick up a reel mower from a thrift store, but it was too much work, and if you don't stay on top of mowing the lawn, you'll have trouble.

What do you think about your electric? I may be leaning this way due to the thick grass and even though I should be able to mow once a week if I go out of town I may be screwed!

What kind of grass is the first thing in selecting a mower. I have 3 acres of hills to cut so I know a little about mowing.

Since you mentioned Bermuda just went down, then you are definately going to want a heavier reel style mower, no matter how it's powered. Bermuda must be cut with a reel mower. I know the manufacturers of single blade rotary mowers say theirs will cut and even mulch Bermuda, but so will a Buck knife. Neither one however does it well.

Best reel mowers I have ever used are the McLane brand. Actually made in the United States of America.

They have them on amazon.com, push style starts at $229 delivered with Prime. The can get up over a grand fast with internal combustion. You'll probably want to catch the clippings. add $65

Those Scotts ones are too light weight, are made in China and last a season if you are lucky. The Brill mower isn't recommended by the manufacturer for Bermuda, it's too light.

Get the McLane, your dollars stay here in the USA. Keep it clean and you won't have to buy another mower.

Link to Amazon McLane listing here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom