What's new

Recommendations for a New Grill?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, it has been mid 60's here, the ice is off the lake, the time of the singing of birds is come, And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

So I took the cover off & fired up the old grill. It is in somewhat dire straights. A TEC "patio" model, 12 years old I believe, that has some corrosion issues in the burners. The rest of it is in firm shape, but TEC doesn't support their "lifetime" grills anymore, so can anyone point me to a good source of information on other grill choices? Big Green Egg, simple Weber, some other choice that would provide superhot temps for steaks but also be able to throttle down for smoking?

Or a mechanics suggestion on how to save the TEC would be welcomed

I know this post might be off reservation, if anyone can point me to a better place it would be appreciated

Thanks

g

...can anyone point me to a good source of information on other grill choices? Big Green Egg, simple Weber, some other choice that would provide superhot temps for steaks but also be able to throttle down for smoking?

Or a mechanics suggestion on how to save the TEC would be welcomed

I know this post might be off reservation, if anyone can point me to a better place it would be appreciated...
g

Oh, there has been much bandwidth spent on this crucial life question. in the Mess Hall, and the Speakeasy before that. Do a search and you'll find lotsa Egg fans, Weber kettle, Weber gassers, Smoky Bullets, etc. We take our bbq seriously here.

I'm an Egg man, myself.

Roger

I highly recommend the Big Green Egg. An Extra Large so you get as much space as you possibly can. Check out their website at www.biggreenegg.com and www.uglybrothers.com for some good commentary on the Egg and grilling and smoking in general.

I have smoked ribs on the egg at 225 degrees with excellent results and seared steaks at 700 degrees. In fact, just tonight I put the pizza stone on it and baked some pizzas. Crust was crisp and the cheese was molten in a matter of minutes.

If you want a superb grill and something you can smoke on as well, I don't think you can go wrong with the Egg.

garyg

Oh, there has been much bandwidth spent on this crucial life question. in the Mess Hall, and the Speakeasy before that. Do a search and you'll find lotsa Egg fans, Weber kettle, Weber gassers, Smoky Bullets, etc. We take our bbq seriously here.

I'm an Egg man, myself.

Roger

Thanks Roger

garyg

I highly recommend the Big Green Egg. An Extra Large so you get as much space as you possibly can. Check out their website at www.biggreenegg.com and www.uglybrothers.com for some good commentary on the Egg and grilling and smoking in general.

I have smoked ribs on the egg at 225 degrees with excellent results and seared steaks at 700 degrees. In fact, just tonight I put the pizza stone on it and baked some pizzas. Crust was crisp and the cheese was molten in a matter of minutes.

If you want a superb grill and something you can smoke on as well, I don't think you can go wrong with the Egg.

And thanks John

I second the Big Green Egg with one caveat, I prefer the Primo Ceramic. It's an Oval shape and to me more versatile since it is possible to do an indirect and direct cook at the same time. www.primogrill.com and www.primogrillforum.com . While not as "easy and convenient" as turning a knob and pushing a start button, just adding a little extra lump if necessary and lighting some sort of starter (I use the sawdust and wax starters) is not that big of a deal.

Michael

Last edited:
The difference between a BGE and a Weber is many hundreds of dollars. I would look at a Weber kettle with the attached table. Mine has a propane ignitor that I set the chimney over and I have ready hardwood charcoal in 10 minutes. The Weber can smoke and get rocket hot for steaks. Plus you can find them locally and get parts for them locally as well. I bought mine probably 3 years ago and it is still going strong.

I'm a big fan of the Weber Q series. They're reasonably priced and built like a tank. Heavy-duty cast aluminum body and cast iron grilling surface make them pretty much bomb-proof.

Most of them are propane, but with the cast iron grate you get probably the best taste you can get from propane. They're also extremely portable, which is great if you live in a tiny apartment like me or want to take it out to picnics and events.

I happen to like the Lodge Sportsman's Cast Iron Grill. Holds the heat well and does a great job on steaks, fish, burgers, etc.... Not like the cheap flimsy Hibachi grills of the past. This Lodge is quality American made cast iron. Small enough for an apartment and easily transported for daily outings or camping trips. Sometimes you can catch them on sale on Amazon but they are available at hardware stores like Ace, True Vale...

The only drawback is it is not a smoker.

Cheers.

BTW...Here is a link to the Lodge Logic sportman's Grill. https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=prologic&idProduct=3975

Last edited:
The fact that you had the TEC for 12 years says a lot about you.
Some options in no particular order-

If you want a gas grill MHP's are true "Lifetime Grills".

If you want a Charcoal grill the Webber's are comparatively inexpensive and have excellent customer service. Can be very flexable and produce a great food product.

If you want to get serious with charcoal the Big Green Eggs and Primos are fine products with readily available parts and service.

If you want to BBQ, there are many dedicated smokers available, A Stumps is my brand.

Lastly, fixing the TEC is always an option,post some photos of the issues and we can sort that out.

If you want a Charcoal grill the Webber's are comparatively inexpensive and have excellent customer service. Can be very flexable and produce a great food product.

If you want to get serious with charcoal the Big Green Eggs and Primos are fine products with readily available parts and service.

If you want to BBQ, there are many dedicated smokers available, A Stumps is my brand.

Lastly, fixing the TEC is always an option,post some photos of the issues and we can sort that out.

Well said.

I would add one thing though, until last November I was both a gas griller and a webber kettle owner. Both were fine cooking appliances and got the job done. Moving to ceramic was like moving to wet shaving. There was a slight learning curve, nothing big, but the end results were amazing. Then I started trying smoking meats since I had the tool to do it. Moved on to the pizzas and artisanal breads. The flavors from using real charcoal instead of that chemical infused briquette (yes I will say it) junk is light and day. The amount of mositure that is held into the meats is incredible. Still haven't tried desserts, but thy are coming.

On the negative side, like with wet shaving, I try to up my game and buy better tools for the job. Currently japanese knives are the obsession of the day (like aggressive adjustable razors) to make the presentation that much sweeter. There are also days I would have grilled, but just wasn't in the mood to wait for the right temperature when a gas grill would have been very convenient.

I do now realize I am a ceramic grilling, wet shaving, salt water aquarium and japanese knife evangelist. My co-workers must hate me.

Michael

Last edited:

garyg

That I am cheap? Or some more sinister tell?

Pics are attached, the "guts" are the problem, the outer grill is still good

Well said.

I would add one thing though, until last November I was both a gas griller and a webber kettle owner. Both were fine cooking appliances and got the job done. Moving to ceramic was like moving to wet shaving. There was a slight learning curve, nothing big, but the end results were amazing. Then I started trying smoking meats since I had the tool to do it. Moved on to the pizzas and artisanal breads. The flavors from using real charcoal instead of that chemical infused briquette (yes I will say it) junk is light and day. The amount of mositure that is held into the meats is incredible. Still haven't tried desserts, but thy are coming.

On the negative side, like with wet shaving, I try to up my game and buy better tools for the job. Currently japanese knives are the obsession of the day (like aggressive adjustable razors) to make the presentation that much sweeter. There are also days I would have grilled, but just wasn't in the mood to wait for the right temperature when a gas grill would have been very convenient.

I do now realize I am a ceramic grilling, wet shaving, salt water aquarium and japanese knife evangelist. My co-workers must hate me.

Michael

Thanks again gents for the suggestions, more than enough to get me started on a search. The TEC still functions, but only one side has the serious heat that led me to buy it. For the ceramic guys, can you get it searing hot? For the charcoal guys, where do you find the chunk (?Chump?) charcoal?

I have but a small backyard, no room for AD's, or a grill on a trailer, but maybe one more grill sized object would fit after I take out the bird feeder

Seriously, thanks for all the ideas!

Last edited:
I had the BGE up to 700 degrees yesterday and I have the cast iron grid. Sears a steak better than anything I've tried. BGE sells lump charcoal that you can find in a lot of outlets. Depending on where you are, Wicked Good Lump is another good choice. Most barbecue stores and even Home Depot carry Lump Charcoal.

I don't see photos?

It says a lot about you- that you hold on to things. I assume that you have cared for them. I imagine you appreciate when something is a good value over a long period of time rather than fast and cheap.

I meant no offense at all, wait a second, I have to turn down my 1979 amp a little.

garyg

And I know you didn't, after all you had to actually stand & walk to turn the music down ...

I seared steaks tonight also on the egg. Friends showed up with a pile of steaks and wine. That happens a lot when you have an egg.

I went from 0 to 700 degrees in 14 minutes.

I have bought chunk at lowes, the grocery store and the egg store. Keep in mind, a bag lasts a long time.

I think that can be swapped out, see the two screws holding the tube in place?

I would give the company a call and see about parts. Tec Customer Service Department @

I seared steaks tonight also on the egg. Friends showed up with a pile of steaks and wine. That happens a lot when you have an egg.

I went from 0 to 700 degrees in 14 minutes.

I have bought chunk at lowes, the grocery store and the egg store. Keep in mind, a bag lasts a long time.

Have you or anyone else tried Real Montana Lump?

http://realmontanacharcoal.net/default.aspx

It's a little on the expensive side with shipping, but it fantastic. Even a great low ash and long burn has been produced by each of the 4 woods we have tried: Cherry, Apple, Plum and Hawthorne (The hawthorne is my favorite everyday lump). Here is a review on nakedwhiz: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag86.htm

Just food for future thought.

Pics are attached, the "guts" are the problem, the outer grill is still good

Thanks again gents for the suggestions, more than enough to get me started on a search. The TEC still functions, but only one side has the serious heat that led me to buy it. For the ceramic guys, can you get it searing hot? For the charcoal guys, where do you find the chunk (?Chump?) charcoal?

I have but a small backyard, no room for AD's, or a grill on a trailer, but maybe one more grill sized object would fit after I take out the bird feeder

Seriously, thanks for all the ideas!

To my wife's dismay, we purchased a zero-lot line with tiny back yard, so I understand limited room. So with furniture and the then possibility we were going to keep our 4 burner gas grill, we needed something smaller. I wet with the primo junior. Has 4 cooking levels with grates turned this way and that along with 2 extended grates. I have managed 2 boston butts, sausage, and an assortment of veggies at the sam time. The only pic I have available though is this 25 pound butt done indirectly at 225.
proxy.php

It seems to dwarf the grill space, but it is more my placement. There is alot of efficient space in these small cookers, especially when you add racks.

I would personally fix your TEC and buy a ceramic of your choice (There are several other worth brands besides Primo and BGE such as Grill Dome and kamado). You can have the best of both world's. I didn't use my gas grill once in 15 months after buying the Primo, so we sold it, now I find myself coming in tired from work when the wife is away wanting a quick 5 minute burger. Well Getting the ceramic up to 600-750 (800 has been as far as I have driven i so far to sear a nice sirloin to 100 degrees thne pop it on the right side of the girl with no lump and about a 300 deg grate temp to allow the steak to cook upto 125 for resting) degrees takes a good 15 minutes.... The gas I woulda been done.....

Michael

Last edited:
Top Bottom