What's new

Recommend “Old School” British Fragrances (especially for Autumn)

Can anyone suggest a reputable US distributor for the British fragrances? I get nervous buying from Amazon distributors unless they are recommended.

Can anyone suggest a reputable US distributor for the British fragrances? I get nervous buying from Amazon distributors unless they are recommended.
Well, since I first posted the thread, I’ve purchased several of the suggested fragrances. I’m in the US, and have had good results purchasing from companies like Shave Nation, West Coast Shaving, & Maggard Razors. I even used Walmart online to get Floris 89!

I like the D.R. Harris Windsor. For a more cold weather D.R. Harris try Marlborough it's Cedar and sandalwood. I should say that I prefer D.R. Harris scents and their hard shaving pucks lather better for me than the other classic British names.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ian, in all honesty it's the first time I hear this N°127 mentioned. Is it a novelty, my friend?
Special No. 127 was created in 1890 for Russia’s Prince Orloff and named ‘Orloff Special’. Later the fragrance was launched into the Floris repertoire having been renamed after the page in the ‘Specials’ formula book in which the recipe was recorded. The fragrance has become a favourite with many over the years – both men and women. Devoted followers included Eva Peron & Winston Churchill. A receipt sent to Winston Churchill for an order including Special No. 127 still sits in the cabinets at 89 Jermyn Street, while his ledgers remain on display in our perfumery.

To my mind, 127 is the perfect fragrance for wearing with black tie or even white tie. 89 is a bit more of a "business suit" sort of scent. But both great.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

To my mind, 127 is the perfect fragrance for wearing with black tie or even white tie. 89 is a bit more of a "business suit" sort of scent. But both great.
Ian, if you do recommend it that is enough for me. On my next trip to London (hopefully in a couple of years, if pandemic allows) I'll buy a bottle directly there. Thank you very much. :001_smile

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ian, if you do recommend it that is enough for me. On my next trip to London (hopefully in a couple of years, if pandemic allows) I'll buy a bottle directly there. Thank you very much. :001_smile

My pleasure.

I do recommend that you at least give it a sniff. Colognes are very personal, and one man's delight is another man's dislike. Floris isn't an inexpensive brand, and I'd hate for you to buy a whole bottle sight unseen (or I guess "scent unsniffed" would be the appropriate phrase) only to be underwhelmed.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My pleasure.

I do recommend that you at least give it a sniff. Colognes are very personal, and one man's delight is another man's dislike. Floris isn't an inexpensive brand, and I'd hate for you to buy a whole bottle sight unseen (or I guess "scent unsniffed" would be the appropriate phrase) only to be underwhelmed.
I bow before your wisdom, Sir. :ouch1:

Top Bottom