What's new

Recommend a ready made shave stick similar to MWF?

I have yet to encounter a stick that behaves like The Fat, and I’m a stick guy. Save yourself some drama, just grate down what you have into a shave stick and be done with it.

I’ve done this. It works well. You can get a stick holder to do this with from West Coast Shaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks. I am definitely not looking to make a DIY stick or grate/press MWF soap into a stick. But I do think that MWF is great and I am looking for a convenient ready-made shave stick as I am now only shower shaving and I have really started enjoying face lathering. I also like the idea of having a very compact set up for reasons of space.

So, I have in the past tried the Arko shave stick (cheap but I found it very drying in the long term), the Palmolive stick (ok but not amazing) and many years ago the original Erasmic Shave stick (best of these for me, but lather was not the most stable no matter what I tried and I think this has been discontinued anyway). I really liked the format of the shave stick but I have yet to find one that really works.

Is there a shave stick which is not overly perfumed (I can suffer random irritation) and which has similar properties to MWF? Would I be looking for a lanolin based stick as I understand this is the foundation of MWF? Any recommendations welcome.
I'm a shower shaver as well and found the ideal solution was to use one of those shower caddy/rack things. It's got plenty of room for a couple of brushes, a couple of tubs of soap and a couple of razors so no compromise needed 🙂

This is the bottom shelf of 3:

IMG_20201208_093909705.jpg

Thanks again for all of the great suggestions here! Lots of new stuff and suggestions for me to explore. I am going to try as many as I can. I really love that the sticks are so inexpensive, so cheap in fact that I am not concerned if some of them are not quite my cup of tea.

I've tried Erasmic (terrible in its latest iteration), Speick (good), Williams (good but hate the scent), Arko (very good, the citronella aroma is an acquired taste), Derby (very good, a lot like Arko), Tabac (terrific), and La Toja (also terrific). La Toja is the one I travel with.

I also have a DIY stick I made out of Erasmic soap which is quite good. At least the soap hasn't suffered the reformulation indignities visited upon the cream and stick.

Caught this too late, couldn't edit the original post - where I say "Williams" above, I meant to type Wilkinson - it's good, but I find the scent to be fairly far up the atrociousness scale.

Just a quick update on this. I received a stick of La Toja and a stick of Lea yesterday. £1.80 for each -crazy value but still approx 3x the price of the Palmolive stick when it was widely available in UK supermarkets!

I just shaved with the La Toja stick in the shower. I really love the scent - I would say it has a spicy mineral (talc?) scent. Quite a classic Barber scent but not overpowering. I rubbed the stick on my face for about 15 seconds and face lathered with a damp Yaqi synthetic. This lathered very well and very quickly! Razor glide was very good (Broman with a half Astra SP blade). Post shave is feeling good so far (about an hour in) with no irritation from the mineral salts that irritate some people. All in all an excellent stick and I can really see why so many people helpfully recommended it. Tomorrow I will try the Lea stick to compare.

Top Bottom