What's new

Recommend a ready made shave stick similar to MWF?

Hi folks. I am definitely not looking to make a DIY stick or grate/press MWF soap into a stick. But I do think that MWF is great and I am looking for a convenient ready-made shave stick as I am now only shower shaving and I have really started enjoying face lathering. I also like the idea of having a very compact set up for reasons of space.

So, I have in the past tried the Arko shave stick (cheap but I found it very drying in the long term), the Palmolive stick (ok but not amazing) and many years ago the original Erasmic Shave stick (best of these for me, but lather was not the most stable no matter what I tried and I think this has been discontinued anyway). I really liked the format of the shave stick but I have yet to find one that really works.

Is there a shave stick which is not overly perfumed (I can suffer random irritation) and which has similar properties to MWF? Would I be looking for a lanolin based stick as I understand this is the foundation of MWF? Any recommendations welcome.

Haslinger Schafmilch, you can rub it on your face.
Aloe Vera or Calendula (Ringelblumen) for similar results.

Last edited:
I've tried Erasmic (terrible in its latest iteration), Speick (good), Williams (good but hate the scent), Arko (very good, the citronella aroma is an acquired taste), Derby (very good, a lot like Arko), Tabac (terrific), and La Toja (also terrific). La Toja is the one I travel with.

I also have a DIY stick I made out of Erasmic soap which is quite good. At least the soap hasn't suffered the reformulation indignities visited upon the cream and stick.

Speick, La Toja and Wilkinson Sword are all quite good in their own way.

Speick has a fairly mild spicy lavender scent and is good for people with skin sensitivities. Lather is almost like Tabac.

La Toja has a sea breeze + fresh laundry scent, with very good shave properties. It has mineral salts which are fine for most people, but some are sensitive to them. It comes in a neat little ventilated container. Very good for travel.

The Wilkinson Sword scent is similar to a "marine" scented bath soap. It has lanolin and is tallow-based, also. A great performer with a moderately strong synthetic scent.

Note, if your shave stick does not come with a container, it is easy to make one from an old prescription pill bottle. Drill a few holes in the cap for ventilation.

its not a stick, but Haslinger Schafmilch is so small that its better to face lather with it than bowl lather. its extremely similar to MWF minus the scent which is barely noticeable.

Wilk Sword stick is a much muuuuuuuuuuuch better soap than MWF so yeah, get that. I actually like speick stick a little better still, but Wilk has lanolin.

The RazoRock "what the puck" aka gold, blue, green, and black series soaps are also available in sticks, and they have lanolin and perform about as well as the wilk sword stick.

Top Bottom