What's new

Recommend a moderate razor head.

Three passes with a Tech doesn't do it for you? I think a Gillette "New" is pretty aggressive but can be controlled with the angle and pressure. The Old Type, like the Brotherhood recommended seems mild but produces BBS quality shaves as well.
I was getting weepers left and right from ALL razors, but thanks to the Brotherhood here, I am now able to get good smooth shaves. Not BBS quality, but smooth enough that folks take notice and kind of give that nod.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I wish I could but both razors are long gone......

worthashot.jpg

Three passes with a Tech doesn't do it for you?

My last use of my Post war tech with a fresh feather blade;

48 hours since last shave and back to 'just shaving', for the moment...

Post war tech/Fat handle. Fresh Feather.

Proraso Green.

Maggard synthetic.

Standard 3 pass++++ shave.

First pass N-S. Second pass S-N. Third pass directly ATG. No buffing at any point.

First clean up at and below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Second clean up pass below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Third clean up pass and back over my jawline at a 45° angle and buffing over my swirls.

Fourth clean up pass lol, 45° the opposite direction and buffing over my swirls.

In the end I needed to start all over again hahaha.

I have very comfortable skin and a very nice BBS shave, but I damn well better after that much work! Mild razors are just that mild. Easy on the skin but not what I'd call efficient. It was an enjoyable shave, its hard to dismiss that much comfort, but at the same time its maddeningly frustrating.

I'll use it again the next time I feel like whittling a Totem Pole...or something.

066556773a72d1908cd59a4b320f1fc5-totem-poles-native-art-jpg.892184

Yes hahaha I agree, Mike. The Tech is very mild. Interestingly enough, my 34C Merkur also feels kinda mild. (Which I like).
Maybe it depends on the blades. I've been using Shark super chrome a lot lately because I've been nervous about weepers!!
IME, the super chromes get smoother after each shave!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe it depends on the blades. I've been using Shark super chrome a lot lately because I've been nervous about weepers!!

Once you've found blades you like, learning your beard map and which direction to shave in and when, will really help eliminate weepers and irritation.

I just ordered this one from 'The Bay' the other day. Vendor "tomtop.wholesaler" has it listed as 'Double Edge Shaving Safety Razor Open Comb Head Male Safety Razor Head J2S9' Zinc-Alloy construction, but the price is nice, eh?zamack.jpg

I just ordered this one from 'The Bay' the other day. Vendor "tomtop.wholesaler" has it listed as 'Double Edge Shaving Safety Razor Open Comb Head Male Safety Razor Head J2S9' Zinc-Alloy construction, but the price is nice, eh?View attachment 931948

The price is nice indeed! I hope that the head works better for you than it did for me. I had a razor with this head on it and it was way too mild for me. I couldn't get a decent shave out of it. I don't know if they've changed over the years but the one I bought and then sold was a couple of years ago. Very cool looking!

Thanks last couple days no weepers. I've finally mapped my beard. Still lack the skills of most of my brothers here but I'll keep at it.

Since I posted this thread I've gone from the mindset of only wanting to buy a head to where I'm now giving strong consideration to a whole razor. The Razorock Game Changer .68 looks very intriguing to me. I've read a ton of threads on it and it's been kind of difficult to get a handle on its aggressiveness or lack thereof. For those of you who have shaved with it, how would you compare its aggressiveness to:
-post war Tech
-pre war Tech
-Gillette Slim set at 5
-Razorock SLAB
-Fatip Grande
-Ming Shi Futur clone set at 4
(These are all razors I'm familiar with or that I can remember the shaves from when I still had them. Comparisons will help me get a better idea of the aggressiveness/effectiveness of the Game Changer .68)

Since I posted this thread I've gone from the mindset of only wanting to buy a head to where I'm now giving strong consideration to a whole razor. The Razorock Game Changer .68 looks very intriguing to me. I've read a ton of threads on it and it's been kind of difficult to get a handle on its aggressiveness or lack thereof. For those of you who have shaved with it, how would you compare its aggressiveness to:
-post war Tech
-pre war Tech
-Gillette Slim set at 5
-Razorock SLAB
-Fatip Grande
(These are all razors I'm familiar with or that I can remember the shaves from when I still had them. Comparisons will help me get a better idea of the aggressiveness/effectiveness of the Game Changer .68)
Yes, I tried the Merkur on level 6 and my beard was red and blistered. Aftershave made it way worse. I think my own personal opinion is the late 1940s tech razor. Modern l, use the Merkur 34c. Seem about the same in terms of mildness , which I like

Edwin Jagger in UK sells separate baseplates and heads, not sure if you would consider them moderate or mild?

-post war Tech
-pre war Tech
-Gillette Slim set at 5
-Razorock SLAB
-Fatip Grande
I've used all of these, so instead of trying to rate it, I'll try and put them in order (at least to my face)...

Most aggressive to least:

1. Ming Shi at 4
2. Fatip
3. Slim at 5
4. SLAB
5. GC 68
6. Prewar Tech
7. Post war Tech

I think that's right in terms of "aggressiveness"/face feel...

BUT, if I were to order them by efficiency the GC jumps the SLAB aaaaand runs neck and neck with the Slim on 5. And the 84 probably stays in the same spot for aggressiveness, but pulls closer to the Fatip.

Hope that helps!

YMMV

I've used all of these, so instead of trying to rate it, I'll try and put them in order (at least to my face)...

Most aggressive to least:
1. Ming Shi at 4
2. Fatip
3. Slim at 5
4. SLAB
5. GC 68
6. Prewar Tech
7. Post war Tech

YMMV

It's interesting to see the differences in perception/experience with the various razors. If I were to place them in order from most aggressive to least my list would be:

1. Fatip (Grande)
2. SLAB
3. Slim at 5
4. Ming Shi (Futur clone) at 4
5. Pre-war Tech
6. Post-war Tech

From what I've read, it sounds like most opinions would place the Game Changer 68 as more aggressive than the Pre-war Tech and less aggressive than the SLAB. (according to my list) If it falls into that zone according to my perception/experience then the GC 68 would be right in my favored zone. The SLAB bordered on too aggressive and the Pre-war Tech bordered on too mild.

-post war Tech
-pre war Tech
-Gillette Slim set at 5
-Razorock SLAB
-Fatip Grande
Even if buying a GC, I'd still consider - as several suggested earlier - a Maggard V3A. It acts as a more efficient, more agressive DE89, if you like the DE89 but find it too mild (as I do).

The V3A head is only 10 bucks (USD), plus 3 bucks shipping, so it need not interfere with purchasing a GC if that's really what you want.

In addition, I'm not sure if the Razorock SLOC is the same as the Yaqi head which many find too mild, because I like really my SLOC but but find my DE89 too inefficient. I do find the SLOC relatively mild in aggression, but reasonably efficient (with a Feather). I certainly find it more efficient than a DE89.

The RR SLOC razor is 20 bucks (USD) at IB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom