What's new

Recommend a moderate razor head.

I'm looking to replace an aggressive DE razor head with a moderate one and I'm looking for recommendations. There are a fair amount of heads available out there and the descriptions from the various vendors aren't always as informative as I would like them to be. What moderate head would you recommend? (I only want to buy a head, not a whole razor.) For evaluation purposes, I'm going by this subjective scale:
1-3 = mild
4-6 = moderate
7-9 = aggressive
I'd be looking for something that falls in the 4-6 range. For reference from past experience that I can remember, a Tech is too mild, a Fatip Grande too aggressive, an Edwin Jagger DE89 was nice but maybe verging on too mild(?). I had one of those double open comb self-lubricating head replicas and it was cool looking but way too mild. I use a Gillette Slim on 4 and a Ming-Shi Futur clone set on 4. I'd like to keep it under $40-$50 on the top end.

Last edited:
It's a very Individual topic.
But I am sure a Rockwell 6c will fulfill your needs. It is in your price range, and you can change the baseplates to YOUR setting.
And the Rockwell shaves very good, I habe the 6s which is Stainless steel as the 6c is chromed zamak.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

M

Member 113878

Merkur 34C.
Parker closed comb like 97R is a notch higher in efficiency but still smooth.

Just to reiterate, I'm looking for a head only that can be purchased as a head only, not a whole razor.

It's a very Individual topic.
But I am sure a Rockwell 6c will fulfill your needs. It is in your price range, and you can change the baseplates to YOUR setting.
And the Rockwell shaves very good, I habe the 6s which is Stainless steel as the 6c is chromed zamak.

Which base plate would be considered moderate? 2/4? 5/6?

It's hard to advise because your mileage seems to differ quite a lot from mine: the Fatip grande is a moderate razor in my book. I have the Futur (not the clone) and I calibrate setting 3 or 4 to the Fatip). I have a number of more aggressive razors and the fatip sits squarely in the middle of all my razors.

Perhaps it's the open comb that you don't like? In that case an ATT R1 or a Muhle Rocca are both SB but mid aggressiveness.

Otherwise I would say you are after a razor on the upper end of mild - the Merkur 34C or the ATT M2 fall into this category for me.

It's hard to advise because your mileage seems to differ quite a lot from mine: the Fatip grande is a moderate razor in my book. I have the Futur (not the clone) and I calibrate setting 3 or 4 to the Fatip). I have a number of more aggressive razors and the fatip sits squarely in the middle of all my razors.

Perhaps it's the open comb that you don't like? In that case an ATT R1 or a Muhle Rocca are both SB but mid aggressiveness.

Otherwise I would say you are after a razor on the upper end of mild - the Merkur 34C or the ATT M2 fall into this category for me.

It sounds like you favor a more aggressive razor than I do. The Futur clone is said to be notably milder than the Futur when comparing the same settings so my 4 setting on the clone would be milder than a 4 setting on the Futur. At settings 1 or 2 on the clone it's pretty much just pushing the lather around on my face. I'm guessing I wouldn't experience the same thing at a 1 or 2 on the Futur. If you say that a 3 or 4 on the Futur is the same as a Fatip, then I'd probably use a 1 or 2 if I used a Futur.

Whats not the worst idea. Good luck they re sold together [emoji13]

The first four appear to all be the same head:

Maggard V3A
IB Mentor
Stirling Aggressive
Fendrihan Weston chrome over brass

Fendrihan Stainless Mk. II
Muhle R41 (2013 version) - the 2011 version has a bloodthirsty reputation, but the current production feels like a pussycat to me.

It sounds like you favor a more aggressive razor than I do. The Futur clone is said to be notably milder than the Futur when comparing the same settings so my 4 setting on the clone would be milder than a 4 setting on the Futur. At settings 1 or 2 on the clone it's pretty much just pushing the lather around on my face. I'm guessing I wouldn't experience the same thing at a 1 or 2 on the Futur. If you say that a 3 or 4 on the Futur is the same as a Fatip, then I'd probably use a 1 or 2 if I used a Futur.
That makes sense. Then I would suggest the Merkur 34C or the ATT. I am pretty sure the Merkur is available as a three piece. The ATT head its definitely available separately.

Very interesting what you say about the Futur clone.

In terms of aggressiveness, I like all razors, from a Rockwell on a 1 plate up through to an Ikon Tech. I love the variety. There is only one razor I've ever bought that I did not like.

Rockwells have a different thread size to standard handles unless they have altered them, so you probably couldn't use an existing handle. Edit: I just double checked that last statement. On my 6S and 6C I can't swap with all razors but I do have one third party handle that does work. It fits with other razors as well. Just to warn you.

Last edited:
Rockwells have a different thread size to standard handles unless they have altered them, so you probably couldn't use an existing handle. Edit: I just double checked that last statement. On my 6S and 6C I can't swap with all razors but I do have one third party handle that does work. It fits with other razors as well. Just to warn you.

Thanks for that heads up, I was kind of wondering that when I was looking at them.

That makes sense. Then I would suggest the Merkur 34C or the ATT. I am pretty sure the Merkur is available as a three piece. The ATT head its definitely available separately.

Very interesting what you say about the Futur clone.

In terms of aggressiveness, I like all razors, from a Rockwell on a 1 plate up through to an Ikon Tech. I love the variety. There is only one razor I've ever bought that I did not like.

From what I could see on my 6C, the thread size isn't the issue. I was able to thread a Gillette BET handle, a Merkur 23c handle, and a Maggard MR1 handle on to the post. The issue I see is the spacing between the ridges on the baseplate. Some handles may have too wide a tip to fit in between them, just like some some handles won't seat properly on a Gillette New or a Fendrihan Mk. I.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
For reference from past experience that I can remember, a Tech is too mild, a Fatip Grande too aggressive, an Edwin Jagger DE89 was nice but maybe verging on too mild(?)

A Gillette Old Type, thick or thin cap, would fall pretty well between those two razors.

All of my three Old Types are clearly a few steps down from my Fatip Grande and as many steps up from my post war Tech. All are also smoother because of less blade gap than my Slim on any reasonable setting. My Slim works best for me set from 7 - 9.

Top Bottom