What's new

Recommend a boar bristle brush

I have three badger brushes. Two I got from Wipped Dog. One that I've been using and really like. I've never used a boar bristle brush and I'm sure you guys have a inexpensive good bristle brush you can recommend.
Zenith and Mondial. If you have patience to break in the knot then Omega Proraso, Omega 66, any Omega over 26mm knot

Ok, I should've mentioned this first. Does a boar brush raise up the wiskers/hair more than a badger brush?
I think that depends on how much backbone the the boar brush has and which badger brush you are comparing. If the boar brush has backbone, then I think it would raise up the whiskers/hair more in general. If the boar brush does not have much backbone, then I would say it would be the same as badger brushes in general. But then again, depending on what grade of badger brush you are using, the comparison might be equal as 'pure badger' knots tend to have more backbone than say a 'finest' or 'silver tip' knots for example.

Ok, I should've mentioned this first. Does a boar brush raise up the wiskers/hair more than a badger brush?

This brush has a fairly firm backbone, but will still become soft at the tips of the bristles as the tips split during break-in. As far as preparing the whiskers goes, it does a nice job. The combination of scrubby feeling with softness is one of the advantages of a good boar brush.

I have an Omega and it’s great. They do take a bit longer to break in but totally worth it.
I agree that the omega is a great boar. The omega 49 I have broke in fairly quickly

Zenith and Mondial. If you have patience to break in the knot then Omega Proraso, Omega 66, any Omega over 26mm knot
Seems like my experience is the opposite of yours. I have an Omega 49 that’s broken in fairly quickly while my Stirling branded Zenith is taking a bit more time to break in

I agree that the omega is a great boar. The omega 49 I have broke in fairly quickly

Seems like my experience is the opposite of yours. I have an Omega 49 that’s broken in fairly quickly while my Stirling branded Zenith is taking a bit more time to break in
Omega 49 is a bit softer than Proraso, although they are quite the same dimension.

The Omega jade one from Connaught is quite impressive. It’s got more backbone than I like and it’s pretty huge, though, so I’m probably going to unload it. But if you like big handles and a firm brush, it seems really high quality.

I honestly think that the Proraso is a rebranded version of the Omega 48 or 49
Yes. Omega makes Proraso. I have 2 Proraso brushes. One was very stiff and it needed 6 month of daily usage to break it. I got another one which as soft as a silvertip. I sold the last one. Have another one as backup but I haven't tried it in 4 years.

I want to buy the famous 49.

Omega Pro 49.

But a bad boar brush is a rare thing. They are just different. You need to try a few and zero in on what you like.
^^^
The Omega 49 was my preferred boar brush, until I tried the 31x57 made by Zenith. But I think that an Omega brush is still a must, especially if it is the first one.

^^^
The Omega 49 was my preferred boar brush, until I tried the 31x57 made by Zenith. But I think that an Omega brush is still a must, especially if it is the first one.

I have a couple of Zeniths, and whilst they are objectively "better" in some respects, there's something about the big Omegas that just butters my muffins. :biggrin1:

I think one trick with the big brushes is to hold them like the Italian barbers do, with the fingers in the knot. This is a good example...although, is it just me, or do all these Italian barbers on Youtube seem to use a really dry lather?

I have a couple of Zeniths, and whilst they are objectively "better" in some respects, there's something about the big Omegas that just butters my muffins. :biggrin1:

I think one trick with the big brushes is to hold them like the Italian barbers do, with the fingers in the knot. This is a good example...although, is it just me, or do all these Italian barbers on Youtube seem to use a really dry lather?

Why is he using a newspaper to wipe off the blade?

Here's my favorite for today. Omega 10005. I bought this brush less than a month ago. This brush immediately whips up a gorgeous foam after unpacking. And this brush has a very comfortable wooden handle.

That is a nice brush! I had my 10005 knot rehomed to a custom handle. I expect to be using it for many years to come

I second that suggestion
I too vote for a smaller natural bristle. The best known boars, like the Omega 10049, are too big in my view. A personal favourite of mine is The Omega 10066 natural bristle. The Omega 11137 recommended above is nice too, I have that as well. The Omega 10066 is a little bit smaller, and is my favourite boar (If I was to single out just one)

Just to give an idea of what the Omega 10066 natural bristle boar looks like ...

dovo25_IMG_0370.jpg

Top Bottom