What's new

Recommend a boar bristle brush

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I have three badger brushes. Two I got from Wipped Dog. One that I've been using and really like. I've never used a boar bristle brush and I'm sure you guys have a inexpensive good bristle brush you can recommend.

The Proraso Brush by Omega is a nice one, seriously Omega has a ton of choices so what do you want? Small/big knot, handle size/material…

4E2512DD-C68A-4E43-83F9-CEA5ADCD820D.jpeg

921128F8-ED90-434B-8FA1-5CCD27512371.jpeg

F4DC18EB-3011-4250-AACA-4DF9102FB9AC.jpeg

As @Multum in parvo said you should specify dimensions: Omega currently has 58 boar models (only Omega branded, not the ones manufactured for other companies like Proraso). One of them is actually mixed.
Diameter ranges from 18 to 27mm. Loft from 48 to 70mm.

Another important thing to know is if you prefer floppy brushes or ones with strong backbone.

My recommendation and one I haven't seen here yet is the Zenith. The Gentle Shave has them. Either the B3 or the B10. These are both inexpensive and great brushes. The B10 will be a bit more scritchy (shorter loft).
If you like wood handles then the B17 is a favorite amongst us brothers of the boar.
You can always plow through the 80+ pages of this years DecemBOAR 2023 thread. We all tend to get a tiny bit fanatical about our boars in December.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
As @Multum in parvo said you should specify dimensions: Omega currently has 58 boar models (only Omega branded, not the ones manufactured for other companies like Proraso). One of them is actually mixed.
Diameter ranges from 18 to 27mm. Loft from 48 to 70mm.

Another important thing to know is if you prefer floppy brushes or ones with strong backbone.

I'm thinking something with backbone and not floppy

Not sure what your budget is but I don't think you can go wrong with a Van Der Hagen boar. $9.99 on amazon. Not a long break in and a pleasure to use.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like a short lofted scrubby badger, such as a Simpson Duke 3 Manchurian. I have only one boar brush, a Semogue 610, and I find it very similar to the Duke in terms of scrub and face feel for a fraction of the price. I am describing the Semogue performance as it is when brand new and not yet broken in, at that point for me it is perfect. If you like Duke 3 size scrubby brushes then it might work for you.

20230506_122001~2.jpg

I have three badger brushes. Two I got from Wipped Dog. One that I've been using and really like. I've never used a boar bristle brush and I'm sure you guys have a inexpensive good bristle brush you can recommend.

Love to, can you help us narrow the field a bit? OK, you want some backbone, that's good to know.

Do you want something for face lathering mainly, or bowl lathering?

Do you want a large brush or something more compact?

Do you like wood handles?

What's the budget?

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Love to, can you help us narrow the field a bit? OK, you want some backbone, that's good to know.

Do you want something for face lathering mainly, or bowl lathering?

Do you want a large brush or something more compact?

Do you like wood handles?

What's the budget?

Something compact for bowl lathering and I do like wood handles, but would settle for a handle that's not to expensive.

Top Bottom