What's new

Received my first Gillette Fatboy :)

Only 1 a 1960 (f 4) ball end tech . Once I got used to keeping a good angle I get nice shaves from it with sharper end blades. .unfortunately has no case with it but I only got it out of curiosity as I've only been de shaving for about 3 years now and recently got the straight razor bug.
Sounds nice 👍, you are brave getting into the straight razors, I hope you'll find lots of enjoyment from it! Just take it slow.

Nice set. I like the GSB's and use them for 2 shaves but could go more I suppose. Not too much wax on the blades either. Polsilver is great but covered with wax, hard to get the wrapper off and it gets on the razor.

Congrats it’s a beauty. I’m still trying to get my hands on a Fatboy and your post is giving me some hope because like you I have low expectations. Only because I’ve tried Slims and Black Beauties and was never able to get a decent shave out of either model.

Congrats it’s a beauty. I’m still trying to get my hands on a Fatboy and your post is giving me some hope because like you I have low expectations. Only because I’ve tried Slims and Black Beauties and was never able to get a decent shave out of either model.
According to @ivan_101 the Slim is a touch more efficient than the Fatboy. I find both rather mild and have currently a run with the Progress which is plenty efficient from 3 upwards for me.

Never heard of a Wizamet, nice to hear you keep a journal too. I keep a spreadsheet rating my shaves and my thoughts on soaps, and gear etc.
Wizamet Iridium Super produced by Gillette PPI in St. Petersburg.
FAFE4780-05CF-4F7A-8DC6-4D84B5187F83.jpeg

According to @ivan_101 the Slim is a touch more efficient than the Fatboy. I find both rather mild and have currently a run with the Progress which is plenty efficient from 3 upwards for me.
Yes. You can see a comparison table here Adjustable Razor Blade Gaps – Gillette Adjustable Razors - https://gilletteadjustable.com/misc-2/adjustable-razor-blade-gaps/ the Fatboy@9 has a smaller gap than the Slim @9, and the Super Adjustable @9 has a bigger gap than the Slim.
I usually use the Slim @9 and the SA @8 or sometimes even @7

Thanks :). There seem to be plenty of Fatboys around, but not so many mint ones. I guess it depends what condition you're looking for. I had contemplated buying a beater then having it sent for re-plating. But in the end I found this nice set. Yes don't give up! Maybe you haven't quite found the perfect razor to blade combo? Or as @ivan_101 says the Slim could be more suited to you. I have heard many say that the Slim is a bit better. I will be receiving a Slim soon so I will do a comparison. The Rex ambassador I have tainted my view on adjustable razors as I can't get good shaves from it, but the Fatboy was amazing. So sometimes its just down to the individual. There are many other great adjustable razors out there too, or are you specifically wanting a vintage Gillette?
Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Great feedback. cheers. I was surprised by how mild it is too, I have to use the Rex one #1, but the Fatboy on #1 is far to mild haha. Around #7 - #4 works good for me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Cheers! Glad to hear you're enjoying your Fatboy too! Do you have a favourite blade to use in it?
Gillette silver blue or 7oClock SP (black)works well, Sharp and smoooth or any Gillette blade seems to work great.
This should get a fellow in the ball park for a DE blade, I made this quick chart because it is easy for me to explain, I like the blades that are crossing from sharp and smooth over to sharpest. I used the Gillette Astra as my standard and just compared from there as best as I could. Longevity is kind of thrown in there also because if a blade lasts that indicates good quality edge steel used & that is a important factor to some folks. Gillette & Personna have been making razor blades for over 100yrs and quality is always there IMO.

Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I was lucky enough to get a Fat Boy F4 in mint condition a few weeks ago.
Before that, I used KCG and two Slims.
For me and my hands the Fatty is perfect. My favorite setting is at #5. Blades are Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge and german Wilkinson sword. I should try the Astra again.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very nice razor, congratulations on the acquisition. I like the weight of the Fatboy and the Slim, it helps me to stop putting any pressure on the razor when using them.

Gillette silver blue or 7oClock SP (black)works well, Sharp and smoooth or any Gillette blade seems to work great.
This should get a fellow in the ball park for a DE blade, I made this quick chart because it is easy for me to explain, I like the blades that are crossing from sharp and smooth over to sharpest. I used the Gillette Astra as my standard and just compared from there as best as I could. Longevity is kind of thrown in there also because if a blade lasts that indicates good quality edge steel used & that is a important factor to some folks. Gillette & Personna have been making razor blades for over 100yrs and quality is always there IMO.

View attachment 1355495
Have some great shaves!
This graph is awesome! I have something similar but in spreadsheet form. I have still to try my Bic, Gillette Greens, Kai & Gillette blacks blades. So it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I greatly appreciate your advice, feedback & time you put into this response! So far my favourite blades (which seem to work well in the majority of my razors) are Gillette Nacet & Rubie's.

Top Bottom