What's new

Reasonably good strop that won't break the bank?

First, not for a straight razor! I have a thin flexible fish fillet knife that really needs light tune-ups without major sharpening. It needs to be used around freshwater and saltwater so, I wonder about the leather options though modern dressings should protect it pretty well. The blade steel is hard so, a knife steel to realign the edge is a non-starter.

I see some non-leather strop options as well but have no clue if they would be a good option for me.

What is a good option for me that won't break the bank? What compounds should I look at as well?

TIA,
Sid

It’s a flexible fillet knife but hard steel?

Either way, I’d recommend a paddle strop for knives over hanging strop. Not sure you need much stropping for a fillet knife and can just go to work from sharpening on a coarse stone really (from a man who fillets many fish annually). But any cheapo paddle strop is plenty for that.

Yes, I am looking for light touch-ups, not major sharpening. The steel is Magnacut at RC62~63 in ~1mm thickness.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I second a paddle or a hanging strop. You can even skip the leather and go with balsa or basswood charged with a compound, diamond, CBN, etc....

I visited a leather crafts guy once, he needed super sharp blades for his leather work, and stropped his blades all the time.
I asked if he made his strops himself too (assuming he used leather strops)
Answer: he used plain card board..!! And that's all he used.
Different kinds of card board, with different "grit" feel, with and without paste.
But No need to break the piggy bank to keep blades sharp, just visit the recycle bin.

Top Bottom