What's new

Straight razors quickly become blunt, the steel is too soft, where is the manufacturing defect?

I also have steel wire whiskers, i just soak them in water beforehand and then let the shaving cream sit for a while. Mitzie can you explain what exactly you do with this oil and what is supposed to do? I guess its oil which is applied beforehand so the moisture of the skin can soften the whiskers. So one can also try parrafine jelly or baby oil, or coconut oil i guess maybe body lotion even.

I think the term emulsified is important also, because oil would repell water. So i think moisturizing skin care creme would be very good, like body lotion or "Feuchtigkeitscreme" in german.

Interesting thread to read. I would add in I think you should try an edge from someone who uses stones before writing it off. So many times on this thread you will see someone get good results with method a, and say method b sucks. Then they try method b and that becomes the new only way. Try it all out and enjoy the hobby. There are reasons some edges become popular on here! (Naturals, synthetic stone, and film/paste). Getting one from a pro helps you figure it what to chase without going in blind.

Even the edges honed on Vetrified diamond stones really does not work well with straight razor in my opinion.
My finest Vetrified diamond plate is rated at 0 to 1 micron. So around 12k.

Diamond edges need a full progression on something like a pasted balsa, or some other abrasive charged softstrate to work well.

Top Bottom