What's new

Real unhappy about an Ebay Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I think I might receive the items and see what condition they actually end up being and then utilize any return policy that the seller offers if they aren't to your liking.

Glad you got your $$ back. Keep looking and hopefully, you will get some good Red Tip karma. If the seller folded that easily and could not offer any defense or explanation, sounds like some hanky panky and you are good to walk away whole.

I have purchased many razors on the 'Bay, including quite a few from other countries. Most sellers are honest, but there are a few bad apples.
I'm glad you discovered this guy's BS before the razors arrived.
Keep looking!

I would have waited until I got them and if they were not what he advertised I would then ask for a refund. Ebay protects the buyer and almost too much at times. You hit the panic button ??

but the point is *IF* he would have got them. imo it seems the seller was selling the same razors twice. and he may not have even got them anyway. glad to see you got a refund and i think you handled it correctly. when ready create a wanted to buy thread here at B&B and im sure someone will help you out. if i had either of those id be happy to ship to you and im sure there are many others who will also.

MrAstro, I'm glad to hear that the eBay situation with the seller worked out in the end. It will never be known whether it was a mistake, laziness, or dishonesty, but with the shipping times and costs to Australia I can understand your wanting to have the situation remedied as soon as possible.

As for the second situation that has arisen within this thread, I'm sorry you've received such an ungentlemanly response to a request for advice. From what I've seen, the majority of B&B members truly are here to help, so please don't let one member's uncouth response discourage you from asking for advice in the future.

As for the second situation that has arisen within this thread, I'm sorry you've received such an ungentlemanly response to a request for advice. From what I've seen, the majority of B&B members truly are here to help, so please don't let one member's uncouth response discourage you from asking for advice in the future.

Please allow me emphasize this comment.

This is what we are all about here, really.

People reuses photos or even use "stock" photos.

Happens all the time.

I look at eBay as a 50/50 gamble. Maybe I will get something useful, Maybe I won't

that is about as good as it gets I'm afraid.

I have used Ebay for buying and selling for many years. I never buy without good photos, close to 100% positive feedback and of course the price. Never been burned on a buy but I have on a sale. Ebay will let someone request a refund for almost any thing if the buyer knows how to ask for it. You just have to understand that. I have 37 straights and at least a third of them came from ebay

Well one thing's for sure - the more people who put up with such nonsense from ebay sellers, the more often this sort of thing will happen.
I think OP was 100% correct & I'm glad it worked out ok.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If this post gets pulled, I'll never log onto this site again...i promise!

Your post was pulled because of a term you used in it, which you have done again in your last post, so it has been pulled.
Take what action you feel is right, but ultimatums seldom work out like the ultimatum maker imagines.

I agree with MrAstro. This is not a new in box item. We're talking about the sale of a USED item, where condition is valuation. In a sight unseen format, such as eBay, pics are critical. If the seller is depicting an item that differs from the actual item being sold, it's without a doubt misrepresentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've bought one razor off eBay and haven't used it since. It was fine and I still have it, but that a few years ago when prices were just starting to rise (or so it seems).

B&B BST, local finds is the way to go. That way you can assure you are dealing with reputable people, ask for more pics and/or see it in person.

eBay is getting out of hand with vintage razors and now with some modern ones being flipped :thumbdown

As for doing the right thing, you will be covered by PayPal/eBay buyer protection if you receive the wrong razors. You will be out time and shipping back but you'll be covered provided you are in the right and don't threaten him with feedback or other policy violations.

One piece of advise...DO IT ALL THROUGH EBAY MESSAGE.

Last edited:
I agree with MrAstro. This is not a new in box item. We're talking about the sale of a USED item, where condition is valuation. In a sight unseen format, such as eBay, pics are critical. If the seller is depicting an item that differs from the actual item being sold, it's without a doubt misrepresentation.

This is pretty much all that needs be said. I personally would have waited until the razors arrived and if they weren't as pictured or better, demanded a refund including shipping both ways or I'd file a complaint. But if you want to avoid that possible hassle, then you made the right call.

I have had only one bad experience on eBay. I saw a GEM 1912 that was in immaculate condition. The photo showed no flaws and the write up said it was in excellent condition "with some showing of wear." The owner of the razor previously had another 1912 up for bid and as I learned later use the same photo for that one. The razor was to be shipped from Canada and the shipping was about $12. My bid of $20 won. When I got the razor it looked nothing like the photo and I contacted the owner to complain. He offered to refund my purchase price if I returned the razor. However, postage to and from would have cost me more than what I paid for the razor. At first he refused to budge but when I threatened to file a dispute with eBay and Paypal he relented and we settled by him refunding me $12, which I accepted. I still use the razor and although it does not look that great, it shaves fine.

I have had only one bad experience on eBay. I saw a GEM 1912 that was in immaculate condition. The photo showed no flaws and the write up said it was in excellent condition "with some showing of wear." The owner of the razor previously had another 1912 up for bid and as I learned later use the same photo for that one. The razor was to be shipped from Canada and the shipping was about $12. My bid of $20 won. When I got the razor it looked nothing like the photo and I contacted the owner to complain. He offered to refund my purchase price if I returned the razor. However, postage to and from would have cost me more than what I paid for the razor. At first he refused to budge but when I threatened to file a dispute with eBay and Paypal he relented and we settled by him refunding me $12, which I accepted. I still use the razor and although it does not look that great, it shaves fine.

If you file a dispute, eBay will insist that the item is returned.

If you whine enough, eBay will generate a prepaid return label for you to use to return the item.

This is about the only way to "back out" of a bad deal without losing funds.

I've come to the conclusion long ago that if you are dealing with someone who is willing to lie, cheat, and steal, you don't stand a chance against them.

This is not just eBay but life in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom