What's new

RazoRock Lupo Club - The Pack

Oh I have come close to slicing my fingers with my 3pc Gillette's because of blade tab overhang when I first started using them. I use this method and it works the best with any 3 pc razors.
(Some old archived photo's 5 yrs back on a old thread called "Daily learning curve of having a Great shave" on another forum.)
Good way of just starting to tighten..... Final grip to tighten the blade snug only works the best for myself.
View attachment 1554085 View attachment 1554087
Have some great shaves!

I've tried a few different methods but I always go back to pinching the ends of the razor method. I'd like to think that it keeps me from over tightening but the reality is I'm just too lazy to relearn something new in the morning ritual.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wednesday, November 9th 2022

Razor : Razorock 2nd generation Lupo.72- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, well constructed with 316 SS with excellent QC machining and finish. Nice razor to work under the nose and a joy to use.
Blade : Personna red (2) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Razorock Irish Country side- nice sharp clean scent with excellent lather qualities especially on the slickness side IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Rainbow" 26mm brown whiskers synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Irish Country side with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Personna red blade.
-25C this morning + air is dry like my beard, tougher shaving while getting climatized again.

SOTD November 9 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

So... This morning I shaved with the Lupo OC for the first time. I plan on shaving with it through the weekend at least to acclimate to it before passing too much judgement.
Right out of the gate this razor bit me. Cut my thumb actually. The picnic table profile of this razor did not offer me enough grip and the razor slipped and slid across my thumb when tightening the head down. No blood but I'll have an irritating flap of skin to deal with for a few days. I much prefer the gentle convex curve of the JAWS.
The balance of this razor is very different than my JAWS. Both are stainless with a Razorock stainless bulldog handle. The JAWS feels much more balanced in stainless. The Lupo OC felt very light at the head. Not a big deal at all, it will just take me a few days to adjust to the distribution.
I used Astra Platinum's as I have for years.
The shave... Considering the razors I talk about, I'm sure you can figure out that I am a daily shaver (out of necessity) and have a pretty heavy beard. I know that it is going to take me a few days to adjust to the angles needed for an efficient shave. On day 1, the JAWS is still the far and away winner of the closer shave with minimal work and fewer passes. I will say this for the Lupo OC though, it was a more comfortable shave. I suspect it has something to do with the comb. The comb looks different than what I'm used to. I can't put my finger on it but it just appears to be less drastic. I've been lulled into that type of dumb thinking with R41 too ;) My chin area in general took 5 - 6 passes in all different directions to get to "good enough for work". Again, I just want to reiterate that I know there is going to be a learning curve with his and will keep an open mind for the next several days. I'll keep you posted.

BTW... I also ordered a Razorock Hawk OC and an "A" base plate to try after the Lupo OC. I've never used an SE razor before and had a few extra $$$ on hand, so I thought, why the hell not.
In the original lupo SS thread many (me included) reported that Lupos work best with a light handle. From RR's selection the Ti and the Ufo work for me, but the HD or SuperKnurl are not great. Instead of the SPs give the Astra SS a try. 7oc blacks are great too.

In the original lupo SS thread many (me included) reported that Lupos work best with a light handle. From RR's selection the Ti and the Ufo work for me, but the HD or SuperKnurl are not great. Instead of the SPs give the Astra SS a try. 7oc blacks are great too.
I have a few Fine handles laying around that are hollow and light, maybe I'll give one of those a try but I must say, I do not like like light handles. If I have to use a light handle I really don't enjoy the shave.
As for the blades, I'm trying to keep that part consistent. BUT... I've never tried the Astra SS in any razor. I'll pick some up and give them a try. The SP's are my go to blade. I was going to pop in a Feather once this trial was done (JAWS vs Lupo vs Hawk). I have some 7 O'C Black's laying around and will give those a shot as well.
I did have a much better shave this morning with the Lupo and I will update my original post.

I have a few Fine handles laying around that are hollow and light, maybe I'll give one of those a try but I must say, I do not like like light handles. If I have to use a light handle I really don't enjoy the shave.
As for the blades, I'm trying to keep that part consistent. BUT... I've never tried the Astra SS in any razor. I'll pick some up and give them a try. The SP's are my go to blade. I was going to pop in a Feather once this trial was done (JAWS vs Lupo vs Hawk). I have some 7 O'C Black's laying around and will give those a shot as well.
I did have a much better shave this morning with the Lupo and I will update my original post.
a feather will do :)
to each their own, the Ufo is not that light, ~60g-s, but the design of the butt end gives it better balance with the lupo. I'm using that atm.

So... This morning I shaved with the Lupo OC for the first time. I plan on shaving with it through the weekend at least to acclimate to it before passing too much judgement.
Right out of the gate this razor bit me. Cut my thumb actually. The picnic table profile of this razor did not offer me enough grip and the razor slipped and slid across my thumb when tightening the head down. No blood but I'll have an irritating flap of skin to deal with for a few days. I much prefer the gentle convex curve of the JAWS.
The balance of this razor is very different than my JAWS. Both are stainless with a Razorock stainless bulldog handle. The JAWS feels much more balanced in stainless. The Lupo OC felt very light at the head. Not a big deal at all, it will just take me a few days to adjust to the distribution.
I used Astra Platinum's as I have for years.
The shave... Considering the razors I talk about, I'm sure you can figure out that I am a daily shaver (out of necessity) and have a pretty heavy beard. I know that it is going to take me a few days to adjust to the angles needed for an efficient shave. On day 1, the JAWS is still the far and away winner of the closer shave with minimal work and fewer passes. I will say this for the Lupo OC though, it was a more comfortable shave. I suspect it has something to do with the comb. The comb looks different than what I'm used to. I can't put my finger on it but it just appears to be less drastic. I've been lulled into that type of dumb thinking with R41 too ;) My chin area in general took 5 - 6 passes in all different directions to get to "good enough for work". Again, I just want to reiterate that I know there is going to be a learning curve with his and will keep an open mind for the next several days. I'll keep you posted.

BTW... I also ordered a Razorock Hawk OC and an "A" base plate to try after the Lupo OC. I've never used an SE razor before and had a few extra $$$ on hand, so I thought, why the hell not.
This morning's shave went much better. All the other parts of the shave were the same to maintain the control base. The one difference was the angle I held the razor. I really tried to focus on that this morning and things went quite well actually. I got a much better shave with fewer passes and my chin only needed about 4 passes. I probably could have gotten away with 3 since I was just going into work. The comb, to me, seems to require a very drastic upright angle of attack in order to maximize the smoothness it offers. It's still much smoother than the JAWS in my opinion, but not nearly as efficient. Once my little test (JAWS vs Lupo vs Hawk) is complete, I will play around with the blades to see if I can gain some efficiency there.

Polished my Lupo .72 and GC .84 oc. Used Cape Cod polishing cloth for fine metals. Found them at Ace Hardware. Only took about 20 to 30 minutes per razor. I just followed instructions on the package. Included before and after pic of Lupo .72

Attachments

• 20221113_200749.jpg
    20221113_200749.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221113_210736.jpg
    20221113_210736.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20221113_214311.jpg
    20221113_214311.jpg
    998.6 KB · Views: 30
This morning's shave went much better. All the other parts of the shave were the same to maintain the control base. The one difference was the angle I held the razor. I really tried to focus on that this morning and things went quite well actually. I got a much better shave with fewer passes and my chin only needed about 4 passes. I probably could have gotten away with 3 since I was just going into work. The comb, to me, seems to require a very drastic upright angle of attack in order to maximize the smoothness it offers. It's still much smoother than the JAWS in my opinion, but not nearly as efficient. Once my little test (JAWS vs Lupo vs Hawk) is complete, I will play around with the blades to see if I can gain some efficiency there.
I finished up the week with the Lupo and I have mixed feeling. I am amazed at the comfort of this razor considering its aggressiveness. I do not think it is as efficient as the JAWS though even with the JAWS only being a .84. The other thing about the Lupo that I both liked and disliked is the far ends of the comb. The reason that I did not like it is that the very corners of the blade are quite exposed. I did run into a few issued if the razor wasn't held properly perpendicular and I was making a pass where the entire length of the blade was contacting my face. What I did like about it is that I was able to use that when trimming the whiskers around my mustache. With my JAWS I have always felt I was shaving those areas "blind" and had to feel where the edges are. I would often lose a few long hairs in that process. By the end of the week, the weight distribution issue I mentioned had resolved itself.
So would I choose the Lupo or the JAWS. I'm not sure quite yet. I still need to use the Hawk for a week. I also want to try the Lupo with Feathers. I have never liked the Feather in the JAWS. I also want to try the JAWS with the Astra SS and the 7 O'Clock Black as Andris83 recommended. On to the Hawk...

Ron R

I did run into a few issued if the razor wasn't held properly perpendicular and I was making a pass where the entire length of the blade was contacting my face
Never heard of that before, I have done the Lupo(Gillette) slide & J hooking and handled those maneuvers with ease but that is just myself. I shave with over 40+ razors in my rotation and there are a few that care must be taken when using them. Hope that the Lupo works out for the better when using it more over time.

Never heard of that before, I have done the Lupo(Gillette) slide & J hooking and handled those maneuvers with ease but that is just myself. I shave with over 40+ razors in my rotation and there are a few that care must be taken when using them. Hope that the Lupo works out for the better when using it more over time.
It's me and my technique and it'll iron out over time. The only other razor I have ever shaved with that gave me trouble was a Timeless. I tried almost every combination and everyone cut me right under my nose. I know it was me but I don't own those anymore. I'm sure the Lupo will be fine. Those corners never bit me they just drug a little. Once I'm done with the week with the Hawk, I'm going to try the Lupo with a Feather.

Ron R

DE SOTD, November 16th 2022

Razor : Razorock 2nd generation Lupo.72- Mfg 2021>, mid range, excellent for clamping the blade design, made from 316SS, excellent QC in machining accuracy and over all finish. Just a joy to use mostly, well worth my purchase for a DE thingy
[IMG]
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue(1) Sharp & smoooth, resonable longevity. Top tier blade!
Soap : Tabac- flowery clean scent, excellent lather qualities. This soap sure softens up the whiskers for the blade to snip easier.
Brush : Yaqi "Bali" 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Great badger brush IMO.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Witch beard cleanse + Yaqi Musketeer Rapier AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a GSB blade. (perfectly nice shave today)!

[IMG]

Have some great shaves!

It's me and my technique and it'll iron out over time. The only other razor I have ever shaved with that gave me trouble was a Timeless. I tried almost every combination and everyone cut me right under my nose. I know it was me but I don't own those anymore. I'm sure the Lupo will be fine. Those corners never bit me they just drug a little. Once I'm done with the week with the Hawk, I'm going to try the Lupo with a Feather.
My week with the Hawk ended early. 4 days in and I am bailing on that razor. Just not for me. Efficient? Oh yeah! It's too unwieldy for me. I just never felt in control. Today I'll return to the Lupo with Feathers. I still need to try the Astra SS and the 7 O'clock Black. Maybe I need to look for a bulldog style handle in TI? Damn, there is just no end to these rabbit holes!

My week with the Hawk ended early. 4 days in and I am bailing on that razor. Just not for me. Efficient? Oh yeah! It's too unwieldy for me. I just never felt in control. Today I'll return to the Lupo with Feathers. I still need to try the Astra SS and the 7 O'clock Black. Maybe I need to look for a bulldog style handle in TI? Damn, there is just no end to these rabbit holes!
Last week I was extending the use of a Feather blade and having a rough time of it. Mid-shave I switched to an unused Derby Premium that's been sitting in my drawer collecting dust ... thinking to myself, how could it be worse? And, to my surprise, it was smooth, like night and day compared to the Feather. I was going to chuck the Derby along with the Feather after the shave, but decided to keep going with the Derby for the next shave. The Derby Premium wasn't an issue at all, the next shave went great.

The first DE blade I bought when I started traditional shaving was the Derby Premium. It did not pair well with my first razor, the Rockwell 6s. That sleeve of 100 had since been tucked away and considered useless. Anyway, I dug out that sleeve and am now happy to have the Derby Premium in rotation. Currently I have three shaves on a Derby Premium and the first shave has been as good as the second and third. I don't think I could make such a comment about the other blades in my rotation: Feather, Nacet, Gillette SB, Gillette Platinum. It's been a pleasant surprise how the Lupo .95 SB/OC has worked for me.

Anyway, my point is you might be surprised which blade will work well for you in your Lupo.

Last week I was extending the use of a Feather blade and having a rough time of it. Mid-shave I switched to an unused Derby Premium that's been sitting in my drawer collecting dust ... thinking to myself, how could it be worse? And, to my surprise, it was smooth, like night and day compared to the Feather. I was going to chuck the Derby along with the Feather after the shave, but decided to keep going with the Derby for the next shave. The Derby Premium wasn't an issue at all, the next shave went great.

The first DE blade I bought when I started traditional shaving was the Derby Premium. It did not pair well with my first razor, the Rockwell 6s. That sleeve of 100 had since been tucked away and considered useless. Anyway, I dug out that sleeve and am now happy to have the Derby Premium in rotation. Currently I have three shaves on a Derby Premium and the first shave has been as good as the second and third. I don't think I could make such a comment about the other blades in my rotation: Feather, Nacet, Gillette SB, Gillette Platinum. It's been a pleasant surprise how the Lupo .95 SB/OC has worked for me.

Anyway, my point is you might be surprised which blade will work well for you in your Lupo.
Oh and I, like most folks here I'm sure, have soooooo many blades collecting dust :)

Lupo + Feather = OH MY!!!!!

Top Bottom