What's new

Razor Recommendation - 1 Year Into Wet Shaving

Hello All,

I have been wet shaving for over a year now and started out with the QShave Futur clone. I have a coarse beard and I shave daily. While cleaning my QShave, I guess I misaligned the setting and now the razor is stuck on what I believe is the 6 setting. I used to shave at setting 5 (WTG) and setting 4 (ATG). I also notice that the shaves have become a bit rough so it is time for a new razor.

I am looking at spending around 60$ and so far have narrowed down my choices to Muehle R41 and Rockwell 6C. I think I have a fairly good understanding of the technique by now. My criteria is that I should be able to use it daily and with a good mix of efficiency, aggressiveness and comfort. Can the R41 be a daily driver for me? I also don't think I will be experimenting with the plates on the Rockwell 6C since I have a set routine of shaving daily.

What all other options can I look at besides the Rockwell 6C and Muehle R41? Can look at stretching my budget by a bit.

Thank you.

Last edited:
The R41 is a great razor and one of my faves. I think everyone should try it at some point. The different Game Changer configurations are also worth looking into—very high quality and very affordable. They all meet your requirements. The OC is my personal favorite.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
You didn't mention vintage -- and I've never used Qshave (or the actual Futur) adjustable -- but a Gillette Slim is well made and would certainly be within your budget. I'm a vintage guy who is starting to dip his toe into the "modern" pool, so I guess I'll leave it there for now.....but $60 buys some nice vintage razors.

Razorock Game Changer .84. All stainless razor for under $60. Simply can’t beat the combination of smoothness, efficiency, and value. Period.

Some great suggestions above!

The R41 is a bit much for me as a daily driver: it is a razor that many love that may well meet your needs.

The Gamechanger as suggested above is a very good one, and with the Rockwell you have the variation that you had with the adjustable. Also, the Parker Variant is a very good adjustable.

Before I switched to straights I used to shave daily with the R41. I have one for sale actually

The Fatip Piccolo OC is also a very good one for a coarse beard based on my experience. I also have a very heavy and coarse beard growth.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

If you want to go cheapest way I would recommend either Slim or Fatboy, have both for sale. If you want brand new modern only I would recommend GC84 or 6C. Until you try you will not know which plate for 6C is best for you. R41 is one of the most aggressive razors so is not good for many people while others very happy with it

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Before I switched to straights I used to shave daily with the R41. I have one for sale actually

The Fatip Piccolo OC is also a very good one for a coarse beard based on my experience. I also have a very heavy and coarse beard growth.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
This ^

As someone with a dense beard the GC 0.84 just isn't enough. Fatip piccolo OC is just about perfect.

I'll also put in a recommendation for the razorock game changer. Superb quality and its solid stainless. It's right at 60 dollars I think. You wouldn't ever have to replace it as can happen with the the 2 you mention above.

Razorock Game Changer .84. All stainless razor for under $60. Simply can’t beat the combination of smoothness, efficiency, and value. Period.

I agree with the folks who suggested the GC 84. It is a high-end razor at a budget price.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have a couple of questions about the Razorock game changer.

1. On the italianbarber website, I can see a Razorock Game Changer .84P Double Edge Razor and a Razorock Game Changer OPEN COMB .84P Double Edge Razor which is out of stock. Which one do you recommend out of these two?

2. In case I would like to go for the OC then which other website I can buy it from?

Thank you again all you kind people.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have a couple of questions about the Razorock game changer.

1. On the italianbarber website, I can see a Razorock Game Changer .84P Double Edge Razor and a Razorock Game Changer OPEN COMB .84P Double Edge Razor which is out of stock. Which one do you recommend out of these two?

2. In case I would like to go for the OC then which other website I can buy it from?

Thank you again all you kind people.
The OC is more efficient than the straight bar. The Jaws even more so.

Unfortunately italianbarber is the only site that carries them.

I have the Gamechanger SB and JAWS. I find the JAWS to be a "little" more efficient than the SB. I don't really favor either one, so get whichever baseplate that draws your attention.

I would recommend a Rockwell, no matter if you choose the 6c or spend more money and go for the 6s.
It's wonderfully smooth, gives great results and can be adjusted to a plate of your choice.
You hardly feel the blade even on R6 which is the highest setting.
What I read about the 41 is that it's almost the opposite. Very direct and aggressive, not everyones cup of tea especially for daily use.

Go for a Rockwell, it might be your last razor [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

I still enjoy my Game Changer 84 SB, but you may want to consider the Karve.

Right now you can get a top cap and base for $50 on WCS. You can use any standard handle with it, and they have C, D, and E SB and C & D OCS.

I have the E and G SBs. Both are more efficient than the GC 84, but I personally enjoy the G a little more. For reference, the GC 84 and Karve C have neutral blade exposures, and Karve D and above have positive blade exposure.

It's been a while since I had an R41, but both Karves are smoother to me, while the G plate is more efficient than the R41.

Hope that helps!

The game changer us in your budget and has already been suggested. If you want to stretch it about $15, you could get a Karve as well. It sounds like the E plate might be a good option for you. I haven’t tried a r41 or a game changer, but I would still suggest a game changer or Karve based on them both being machined razors, so they will have tighter tolerances and you won’t have to mess with blade alignment.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If you are sticking with new razors, here are my suggestions (in no particular order):

FaTip: Piccolo SE (comes with OC & SB plates - best of both worlds)

Blackland Dart

Karve Brass ('B' or 'C' plate)

Ikon: B1 Standard (SB)

RazoRock GC .84 SB (you might want to also check out the Lupo and SLOC)

Top Bottom