What's new

Razor Master Toivo Tar Shaving Soap

So i had this turn up at the end of last week. It's a Finnish company called Razor Master and they do soaps, i've seen a thread in the marketing section from a few months ago but no one else actually talking about it so i've taken some pictures for everyone to have a look. They've got a few scents, all named after Finnish "Razor Masters" and i settled on Toivo, it's meant to be a tar pine resin type smell and it bloody stinks. The first time i smelt it i thought it'd be too much but it gets better past the initial shock. I actually quite like it, smells distinctly like a wood fire and reminds me of how my clothes would smell after a night of drinking cheap beer round a fire in my misspent youth. All in all good.

I've had 3 shaves with this stuff and it really doesn't need a lot of water (i'd put this down to Glycerine but i'm no expert on ingredients) i don't bloom it at all, use a slightly damp brush that i've knocked out the water of and only load for a few seconds before going into face lathering and that's enough for four passes easily.

In the pictures below i was using a badger and bristle brush and that eats through it, i wouldn't mind using a softer brush but i don't actually have one. The smell dissipates a bit when lathered which is good considering how strong the puck is but stays enough post shave to notice.

The actual shave is very good, i think it's very cushiony and slick (with and without my pre-shave, i tried both) and doesn't dry. I have a picture below of what the lather looks like when i left it on my face for ten minutes to see if it dried and i was impressed, especially as one pass will take roughly a minute. I found i get a closer shave with other soaps but it's definitely very smooth at the end of the shave after an against the grain touch up.

Post shave i felt very smooth with a lingering smell that went past my splash. I quite like the smell but the missus wasn't really bothered. Overall i'd rate the soap and i'll definitely continue to use it.

See the pictures below, that first one is in a metal tin that came with the soap;

$DSC_0462.jpg$DSC_0472.jpg$DSC_0466.jpg$DSC_0468.jpg

This is the website i got it from (UK website) and their writeup (which is fairly lacking) http://www.shavingstation.co.uk/razor-master-toivo-tar-shaving-soap-80g/

Attachments

• $DSC_0469.jpg
    $DSC_0469.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Guess i reached the maximum pictures, the one of lather on my face is after allowing it to dry for ten minutes, i'd comfortably shave with that.

$DSC_0474.jpg$DSC_0476.jpg$DSC_0477.jpg

Gifts & Care also carries their soap line.

I've yet to tried Toivo but i have two other Razor Master soaps. Mine are from the first patch of Pekka and Juha shaving soaps. Lather is ok but if i remember right i have read that after the first batch came out they have tweaken the formulas little bit so they should work better now.

There also might be a sandalwood soap coming sooner or later from Razor Master. Seen couple pictures of two differend sandalwood soaps that couple finnish shavers have posted on a facebook group.

Last edited:
Yeah gift and care is the post i saw from a few months ago. I'm happy with the lather, not too interested in Sandalwood though, everyone and their dog does a Sandalwood soap.

I purchased three of them today: Ari (Pine), Markku (Whiskey) and the infamous Toivo.
Really looking forward as I'm very much into pine tar and similar scents, e.g., Savon du Midi Vetyver or Strong 'n Scottish by Meißner Tremonia.

I have the Juha one I recieved from a member of another forum. Has a woodsy scent and is a soft consistancy. I believe there are several different formulas of Razormaster out there, but the one I have whipped up a creamy lather with a quickness. Need to experiment with it more but am happy with the performance thus far.

Curious about the coffee scent, is is strong? Like sweet carmel or more like coffee beans? Don't drink the stuff but love the scent of fresh ground coffee.

It sounds like a great soap! Is it triple milled? How long does it last? I found it 8,24 euros in discount and I'm thinking of getting it.

A puck should last a while but only you can determine its "value". Keep in mind somethimg that gets used is a much better value than something that collects dust, reguardless of price.

A puck should last a while but only you can determine its "value". Keep in mind somethimg that gets used is a much better value than something that collects dust, reguardless of price.

Are you in my mind? Amazing! :)

And how do you know that this will collect dust?!

My thoughts exactly!

Is it possible to store it after use in the same paper wrap it comes with?

Are you in my mind? Amazing! :)

And how do you know that this will collect dust?!

My thoughts exactly!

Is it possible to store it after use in the same paper wrap it comes with?

I wouldn't think there would be a problem storing it in the paper wrapper. However, i have a puck of Victory Shaving Rosie that comes in similar packaging, and it kind of bled thru the paper turning it a red tint.

You may want to experiement and see what works best for you. If you decide a container is necessary, some options are: Dollar Tree Blue bowl w/lid, or those metal Gruntal tins that can also be found at many thrift stores.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting resurrection!

I picked up one of those pine tar soaps, the common one, on sale somewhere. Had to lock it in two ziploc bags to shut off that smell ... still haven't tried it, actually.

Pine tar soaps fight dandruff, I thought. Wonder what shaving benefit it has?

AA

Interesting resurrection!

I picked up one of those pine tar soaps, the common one, on sale somewhere. Had to lock it in two ziploc bags to shut off that smell ... still haven't tried it, actually.

Pine tar soaps fight dandruff, I thought. Wonder what shaving benefit it has?

AA

Pine Tar is also very good for you skin. Not sure exactly how, but have a tub of Ballenclaugh Woodsman that has Pine Tar and it feels a bit different than other B&C soaps for post shave IMO.

Top Bottom