What's new

Razor experimentation

One of B&Bs best kept secretes is the Razor Loan program in the Contributor's Forum. As the traffic cop for this thread, I've gotten my hands on a number of razors over the past months. (Want to get in on the game? Click here.) Here's a few thoughts.

Double edge vintage razors

I've tried the Rocket, Slim, and one other I can't remember right now. Twist-to-open razors have a special cool factor that's hard to beat...I just like that mechanical component. But I don't need an adjustable. I like mild shavers, and once I find my setting, I just leave it there. Non-adjustable twist-to-open razors feel maybe a little head-heavy to me, at least compared to my base-line EJ89.

Single edge vintage razors

I don't think these razors look as good as the DEs, but I can't shake the feeling that they give me a better shave. I keep wondering if the curvature of the DE blades are inferior to the straight angle of SE. The GEM G-bar was a real eye-opener. The Schick Injector was hardest to learn, because it was so light. I unconsciously put pressure on the razor the first few shaves, and got quite a few cuts. Once I backed off, it shaved great. The Injector might be the last positive development in razor technology: cuts like an old-school SE, but there's less blade handling and the injector system is cool.

Merkur Futur

This is far and away the most traveled razor of the bunch. But to me it was the least impressive. I don't care for its large size or futuristic shape. I could see it being useful if you have trouble working with small objects. It feels kind of 'loose,' like there's something rattling around while you shave...I didn't like it. And opening it to change the blade is just plain scary.

So far, I still love my EJ89/Muhle. It looks like an heirloom quality piece, it's pure simplicity, and I'm just plain used to it.

If you're wondering, the razors available for loan to B&B contributors are:

Merkur Futur
Gillette Rocket
Gillette Slim
Schick Injector
GEM G-Bar SE
GEM 1912
GEM Micromatic

Parker 92r

Edwin Jagger 86
VELVET Closed Comb
Unknown Open Comb