What's new

Razor burn and ingrown hairs

I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions as to how I might go about preventing razor burn and getting ingrown hairs? Any products or tips would be very helpful. I just recently purchased AOS's Ingrown hair night cream and have been applying that twice daily. At the moment I am not sure it if is actually working or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just do 2 WTG passes at the most-do not do any XTG or ATG passes until your face has had time to adjust to wetshaving. Once you get your technique down, you can add 1 of the aforementioned passes.

You may also want to pick up some tea tree oil and use cotton balls to apply to any ingrown hairs.

Nivea after shave balm for sensitive skin will work well for your razor burn-stay away from the splashes which include alcohol.

marty

I don't usually stretch my skin at all except for around my beard. My problem area is my neck, especially the back of my neck for some reason.

I picked up some witch hazel with aloe after reading about it on here. Should that help?

All of above.

Learning to wet shave takes some practice, but in the end isn't that difficult. Everyone is trying to be helpful, and are making recommendations. I suspect that the real issue is that you haven't developed proper technique yet. I recommend you learn the growth direction of your whiskers --you should map out both the beard direction and the appropriate stroke order and direction for your shave.

The shaving issues that result in razor burn arise from some pretty common causes; in order:

1. too much razor pressure.
2. improper blade angle.
3. overshaving an area.
4. using a blade past it's prime.
5. product sensitivity.

Understand, there can be other causes, but I'll bet you that you're suffering from one or more of the above five, and from what it sounds like, the issue is either too much pressure (item 1) or improper blade angle (item 2).

You just need to mentally review what you're doing, and adjust your technique if you become aware of transgressions of any of the first four items listed above.

Make sure that your shaving strokes are unhurried and deliberate. A 'scuff' (improper angle) produces razor burn. A 'scrape' (too much pressure) will result in a 'weeper'. Overshaving is making repeated strokes, shaving the same area, especially when done without re-lathering, and results in localized irritation. Make certain you are using a good blade, and swap for fresh as necessary.

One of the indications of a bad product reaction is the Sunburn-like hotness apparent to the touch of your skin. Razor 'burn' from poor shaving technique or use of a dull blade will subside rather quickly; but razor burn from a product reaction will persist.

You just need to shave daily and gain practice from your shaves. Be very attentive to use a shallow blade angle and make the strokes with a very delicate or neutral pressure on the razor.

If you suffer from PFB, ingrowns and bumps, there are a number of products made to treat this condition. One of the best is from MaleFace.com --'razor bump remedy'.

HTH.

-- John Gehman

Thanks for the info, John. I really appreciate it. Until this past weekend I actually had never used my DE to give myself a full face shave. I generally use a Gillette Fusion. I agree though, I probably do use too much pressure. When I used my DE this weekend on my neck I really didn't apply any pressure at all and was quite happy with the results. I also picked up and used for the first time a badger brush.

I do have a question for you though. Do you suggest shaving daily to help the affected areas? The reason I ask is because I currently only shave two to three times weekly due to all of the problems I have had with my neck area over the years. I have tried shaving daily several times but have always found that to be a very unpleasant experience do to the bleeding, pain, and stinging I always encountered for several days post shave.

I understand your woes of back of the neck sensitivity. Since my technique has improved my ingrown hair problem has almost completely disappeared. I also use an ingrown hair treatment, but I use the Anthony brand, which I feel works very well and is $10 cheaper than AOS. If you have ingrown hair problems all multi-blade disposables are your worst enemy. They do nothing but guarantee skin problems. My advice is to exclusively use a DE for your whole face and neck. Just make sure you take your time and don't overly shave and area.

I would also suggest using a pre-shave oil. I use T&H brand and have been pleased with the results. Pacific is also very good. Just stay away from the AOS oil. That stuff is thicker than crude oil. I have also found that rewetting my face with hot water before relathering for additional passes helps out as well.

I do use a shave oil, Venom. Currently I have the AOS shave oil and really I have not liked it since I bought it. It is pretty thick stuff. I actually ordered some of the Pacific this weekend so I am expecting it this week. I also shave in the shower to help keep my pores open. I started doing that a few years ago after reading that it would help to possibly keep razor burn down and to give a closer shave. One of the areas I have really been having a problem with is the back of my neck. I haven't yet built up the courage to start shaving my head with my DE. I tried shaving my head with my DE once and my head looked like swiss cheese after I got done so I have been reluctant to try it since.

I will check into the Anthony brand treatment too.

I do have a question for you though. Do you suggest shaving daily to help the affected areas? The reason I ask is because I currently only shave two to three times weekly due to all of the problems I have had with my neck area over the years. I have tried shaving daily several times but have always found that to be a very unpleasant experience do to the bleeding, pain, and stinging I always encountered for several days post shave.

Littlebeartn --

Frequency of shave is a personal choice. I have always shaved daily, for over 40 years.

I believe you just need to develop your technique, and the more frequently you shave, the more practice you get, and the sooner your skills evolve. It's up to you. You'll find that wet shaving is easily learned, and the minimal effort required is well worth it for a lifetime of close comfortable shaves.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom